• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any working PhysX work arounds for ATI users?

Esso

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2007
Messages
171
Hey just just wondering if someone can save me some time from the great google machine and tell me if there is a known-good work around that might allow the use of PhysX while using an ATI/AMD card as the main GPU. I have a GTX 280 here collecting dust... I have heard before that you can use old drivers, but meh.

Feel free to post your trials & tribulations.
Thanks in advance!
 
Easy as pie.

Put the Nvidia card in PCI-E slot #1. (It MUST be in slot 1 or else the patch won't work).

Put the ATI card in any other PCI-E slot. (You can still use the ATI card as your main card - just set windows to use the monitor hooked up to the ATI card as the main screen).

Install the latest ATI and Nvidia drivers.. order doesn't matter.

Install the Hybrid ATI+Nvidia Physx patch. Do a google for "Hybrid physx patch" it will be the first result. the latest version of the patch is what you want.

Reboot.

Enjoy ATI + Nvidia PhysX.

Note: If you update/reinstall the Nvidia drivers you will have to run the patch again.
 
Easy as pie.

Put the Nvidia card in PCI-E slot #1. (It MUST be in slot 1 or else the patch won't work).

Put the ATI card in any other PCI-E slot. (You can still use the ATI card as your main card - just set windows to use the monitor hooked up to the ATI card as the main screen).

Install the latest ATI and Nvidia drivers.. order doesn't matter.

Install the Hybrid ATI+Nvidia Physx patch. Do a google for "Hybrid physx patch" it will be the first result. the latest version of the patch is what you want.

Reboot.

Enjoy ATI + Nvidia PhysX.

Note: If you update/reinstall the Nvidia drivers you will have to run the patch again.

Mine is NOT in slot 1 and it works. YMMV
 
Mine is NOT in slot 1 and it works. YMMV

Have you verified it actually works in games and not just on 3dmark vantage?

Even on different motherboard and processor combinations, it hasn't worked properly for me unless the Nvidia card is in slot 1.
 
I run a dual 5970 setup with gtx 260 for physx..can verify it working. PS install physx only software from nvidia..do not! I repeat do not! install the graphics drivers for nvidia card.

Slot 1: 5970
Slot 2: 5970
Slot 3: GTX 260
 
Radeon HD5850 in Slot #1
GeForce GTX260 in Slot #2

Same results here, hardware accelerated PhysX working perfectly. :D
 
If you don't want to mess with the patch, the 257.15 beta was posted without the anti-ATI code in place. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1555586 You may need to upgrade PhysX for newer games and/or future enhancements, but this should work pretty well for most stuff now.

I have found some weird issues with games not wanting to use the correct resolution and stuff like that when I actually run my second monitor off my 9800GT instead of my HD5870. Other than that, it's pretty much PnP and just works.
 
Nice, thanks everyone - much appreciated!

@Domllama, omg 2x 5970s daaaaaaaaaang! Did they ever fix the eyefinity issues over quad-fire?
 
I am going to be using CF 5870s and my old 8800 GTS 512 for PhysX, it is not the strongest nvidia card but should more than suffice seeing as UT3 is my only PhysX game right now haha

I also have an old PPU collecting dust....
 
Ya I read that yesterday, is why I decided to re-employ my 8800 GTS 512 haha
 
I have to check this out! Too bad I already sold my 8800GT. Maybe I will buy a 460 768MB..hmmmm.
 
Got my setup working with 5870cf and the 8800GTS 512 as PhysX and is working great, that mod is handy hehe
 
Curios, I have two PCIe slots, so I could in theory do this, but I just wondered, if I stick in my 8800GS card back into the system, does that still need the 6 pin power cable plugged into it ? It will never output anything, only be used for physX suff.

I ran out of those plugs with me new card, that needed 2 of them.
 
You will still need to have it plugged in, but you can use a molex to pci-e adapter
 
I tried this a while ago with an HD4850 and GT220 or 8600GTS. In both cases the nVidia card didn't work at all (nevermind physx) in PCI-E slot 2.

I'm running an Jetway HA08-Combo motherboard by the way.
 
Hey guys, quick question on this. I've got a 6870 on a MSI K9A2 Plat., which has I believe 2 16x and 2 8x PCIE 2.0 slots. I have a spare 9600GSO (96sp) that I'm considering using for Physx. Can I use the 9600 in slot 3 or 4 instead of 2? I'd prefer not to severely cut off airflow to my Radeon haha. I had enough temp issues in this case back when I had my 8800GT SLI setup in it, so I don't know if I'll even stick with the Physx card, but I'd like to at least try it out.
 
Its not hard to get PhysX running but its almost not worth the hassles of it for such little performance. Yes you should be able to put it in a lower PCIe slot.
 
Yeah, its kinda worth it maybe, but thats a personal thing. I took the 9800GTX+ I was using out so I could reduce my energy bill and the temps in my case a bit. Mine was working perfectly, though, 5770s are in slot 1+2, 9800 was in slot 3. The 9600GSO youve got should work.
 
Alright thanks guys, I'm hoping to get Mirror's Edge soon and since it has Physx I'd like to try it out. I love how for several years my main rig was Nvidia powered (8800GT SLI) and I never had a chance to use Physx, and now when I finally switch to ATI, I get a game that supports it.
 
Alright thanks guys, I'm hoping to get Mirror's Edge soon and since it has Physx I'd like to try it out. I love how for several years my main rig was Nvidia powered (8800GT SLI) and I never had a chance to use Physx, and now when I finally switch to ATI, I get a game that supports it.

Mirrors Edge is a pretty poor showcase of it unfortunately. Breaking glass and potted plants and the like are much better looking but that is about it. There is just not a lot of moving objects or heavy deconstructions used in the game that would ordinarily show GPU PhysX off. Batman AA shows GPU PhysX off better and so does the latest UT on the PhysX levels. They are both busier with physics objects than Mirrors Edge is.
 
Here are some examples of differences in Batman:AA with PhysX from my HD5770 bottlenecked by 9800GT for PhysX thread.
Example 1 Example 2

Individually, none of them are all that impressive. However, they give a lot of ambiance to the game. It just seems a lot creepier with the foggy tunnels.

At this point, devs don't want to completely alienate customers who can't run PhysX well or at all, so it's mostly just a little extra eye candy. Buyers don't focus on PhysX hardware because it doesn't add that much in games. And the cycle just continues...
 
Back
Top