Any Word on New Velocity Micro Systems at BestBuy?

zadillo

Limp Gawd
I've been curious about this. Velocity Micro just launched their new gaming desktops and laptops at Circuit City:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/circuitcity.php

It seems like they're taking a slightly different tact, offering somewhat less expensive systems than what was offered at Best Buy (although the only thing I can note is that they seem to be using the more basic cases and not the premium ones of the high end Best Buy models):

http://www.velocitymicro.com/bestbuy.php

What I'm wondering is, will Best Buy be getting updates to their Velocity Micro systems any time soon? Right now, the ProMagix 2230, with an E6700 and 320MB 8800GTS sells for $2099 at Best Buy.

By comparison, the ProMagix A50, with the latest E6850 and also an 8800GTS 320MB sells for $1999.

I guess the main thing is, it seems like the Best Buy Velocity Micro systems are now out of date. I'm sort of hoping to see at least a slight update, maybe a boost from the E6700 to the E6850 (or maybe a Q6600 even, given the price drops).

So, just wondering, has anyone heard anything about when the Best Buy Velocity Micro machines will be updated to at least keep pace with the Circuit City ones?

-Zadillo

2K for that system IMO is to much money for what you get, unless that includes a nice LCD as well. For 2K I would want a 8800GTX. Look around, there are better deals to be had.

2K for that system IMO is to much money for what you get, unless that includes a nice LCD as well. For 2K I would want a 8800GTX. Look around, there are better deals to be had.

I don't know, I haven't really priced out the Circuit City configs, but the pricing doesn't seem that unreasonable. I was comparing other VM prebuilt configs with what it would cost to buy the components myself and build it, and it wasn't all that much cheaper.

As far as prebuilt stuff goes, can you point out some of the better deals in that $2K range?

-Zadillo

Yea, the Best Buy Velocity Micro computers are out-of-date compared to Circuit City. I believe the Best Buy ones are using the older ram chip speeds also. I have been thinking of purchasing a Velocity Micro at Circuit City but came to the conclusion that having it built with certain parts from Velocity Micro will be cheaper for me.

Mind you I haven't ordered it yet, just been playing around with the configuration screen at Velocity Micro's website. So my price range for a new computer is $1700 to $2000.

Back