Any way to send audio output over IP to amplifier?

wazooda

Weaksauce
My computer is in a completely seperate area of my home then my home audio system that feeds the entire house.

I wonder if there is a device that will take audio output, convert it to IP traffic, send it over my LAN, and then take that IP traffic and reconvert it to standard audio near my receiver so I can than plug into my home audio gear.

For example, I have a small box that sits near a remote serial device. My PC runs a little driver that intercepts all outgoing COM traffic and converts it to IP. It then send it to this little box that has its own IP address that sits next to my remote serial device. The box, which has a serial cable and plugs right into serial device, then "decodes" the IP traffic back into serial.

I pretty much need the same thing for my audio output in XP.

Thanks!

Wazoo

unles u r using a usb cable to an internet ready higher end receiver- No.

for newer $1000+ receivers, they will accept information cables.

Get the new apple toy, Link It will only work with Itunes, but still looks somewhat cool.

Might be worth a shot.

Or one of the various wifi home recievers, they are normally a bit more expensive but do the same thing, and you can browse from them.

Cobranet is good stuff. Might be using it soon at the theatre i work at.

TekieB said:
Cobranet is good stuff. Might be using it soon at the theatre i work at.

If you think Cobranet is cool. Check out the BSS Soundweb or Mediamatrix. Mediamatrix is actually made by Peavey. (I know, I know) But surprisingly it's one of the best products out there.Disney uses it to route audio through the parks and zone the audio along the parade routes.

Sorry Wazooda, didn't mean to jack the topic of your thread. Just thought I could throw some useful info toward TekieB.

Yeah, It's the only good thing that peavey makes. Never looked at the bbs thing though.

The comany that installed all of disneys sound (clair brothers) gloabal HQ is about 10 miles down the road from me.

Well I LOVE my Squeezebox and it does exactly what you are thinking.

It is basically a small device with an VFD display and remote that acts as a thin client or audio/tcp bridge for lack of better words.

You can get either the wired and wireless model or just the wired model. I think the prices are $249 and $199

http://www.slimp3.com

Also a very active and helpful community and the projects server Slimserver is free and open source. If you want to get a feel for the device you can install the server and play with a software emulator (SoftSqueeze) . If you do use the emulator remember the emulator was written by a third party and is still beta.

Also this device can handle just about any audio format that does NOT have DRM crap on it. So it will work well with iTunes just not well with songs bought from iTunes.

I personally use it with FLAC which is the other nice part, it will handle either mp3 or straight PCM. So for non-mp3 formats the server decodes and sends the raw PCM data, so for lossless formats they stay lossless. The devs talk about being able to handle FLAC nativily and this would be nice for the wireless folks since it cuts BW needs in half, however I have not had issues with FLAC and wireless as it stands.

TekieB said:
Yeah, It's the only good thing that peavey makes. Never looked at the bbs thing though.

The comany that installed all of disneys sound (clair brothers) gloabal HQ is about 10 miles down the road from me.

I work for Clair Brothers.

Back