Any way to lock folders in vista?

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Is this a feature yet? You figure this would have been done years ago and easily accessible. So anyway , does vista (ultimate) have a folder lock program? Where as in i would like to lock programs or folders?

in command prompt you can do the following

1. attrib "My Documents" (notice this shows the current status of the folder)
2. attrib -r "My Documents" (this will remove the read-only attribute)

With modern OSes, you don't "lock" or "password protect" a folder, you apply permissions to the folders or files in question. There is software that can do such things, but the downside is if you use that third party software and it locks your files and turns out to be a complete piece of shit - especially if it involves encryption on any level - then you could end up with a far worse situation than someone taking a peek.

If you're using the Vista x64 Ultimate that you have in your sig, you can apply permissions to allow different access to different users by going to the folder's Properties -> Security tab. Permissions are set for users or groups, and I believe that Deny takes preference over Allow. Administrator accounts are members of the Administrators group.

You can also encrypt the folder using Windows' built-in Encrypting File System feature: in Properties -> General tab, click Advanced and "Encrypt contents to secure data". Note that you will lose access to encrypted files if you forget your password (resetting it will not allow access). You can back up the encryption certificate onto removable media in User Accounts in Control Panel - there's a link on the left.

However, these will only help prevent people with other usernames on the computer reading your data (or people over a network, if you're sharing the folder). If someone can sit down at your computer while it's logged in as you, the only way you could secure the folder would be third-party encryption.

Back