Any way to get windows media center back?

455olds

Gawd
Running windows 8.1. I downloaded windows 10 just to get a key. When I went back to 8.1 mce was gone. I still have the mce key but Microsoft download link is dead. Is there somewhere else I can download mce from? Any other decent alternatives to mce or should I install windows 7? I would rather stay with 8.1 if possible. I need mce for tv tuner.

Running windows 8.1. I downloaded windows 10 just to get a key. When I went back to 8.1 mce was gone. I still have the mce key but Microsoft download link is dead. Is there somewhere else I can download mce from? Any other decent alternatives to mce or should I install windows 7? I would rather stay with 8.1 if possible. I need mce for tv tuner.

Easy one!

Hit the windows key and go to the start page and search (start typing) for "Add windows feature" and that will give the option to input the MCE feature code.

MCE is the only decent solution if you want encrypted channels. "AMC, HBO, etc"

SiliconDust is working on a PVR that had a kickstarter campaign and is now in alpha access pre-order. I had high hopes for it but all reviews say it is pretty terrible. They apparently cant use the general block style programming list cause that is copyright for so dumb fucking reason. They also have not paid for certification yet to unlock those encrypted channels. I wont buy it till they get that far.

There is a way to get it on Windows 10 if you follow this link.[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives I was able to get working. Its possible that future updates can break it which is why I don't have it on my HTPC yet.

As far as Silicondust's DVR software I personally think its garbage right now. I backed it, and I think they totally under estimated how long it was going to to take to get this software up and running. It was supposed to be fully released October '15. Its no where near a replacement to MCE IMO.

There is a way to get it on Windows 10 if you follow this link.[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives I was able to get working. Its possible that future updates can break it which is why I don't have it on my HTPC yet.

As far as Silicondust's DVR software I personally think its garbage right now. I backed it, and I think they totally under estimated how long it was going to to take to get this software up and running. It was supposed to be fully released October '15. Its no where near a replacement to MCE IMO.

They could be the cornerstone of all current/future HTPCs if they get their shit working.

Since WMC is key for the family's sanity, I've only messed around with W10 on non-HTPC computers - I can report that the link above (the WMC in W10 one) works and isn't that difficult to get going. Unfortunately, I use a plugin called "Recorded TV HD" that I couldn't get to work well, so I didn't move the rest of the compys up to W10 yet...

I was thinking about the HDHomerun software but forgot to pull the trigger in the kickstarter phase, now I'm just happy where everything is in my personal setup. W10 may be needed for DX12, but I'll just drop in a small SSD install on the few computers I game on as well if that's something I really end up needing.

Easy one!

Hit the windows key and go to the start page and search (start typing) for "Add windows feature" and that will give the option to input the MCE feature code.

SiliconDust is working on a PVR that had a kickstarter campaign and is now in alpha access pre-order. I had high hopes for it but all reviews say it is pretty terrible. They apparently cant use the general block style programming list cause that is copyright for so dumb fucking reason. They also have not paid for certification yet to unlock those encrypted channels. I wont buy it till they get that far.
I didn't have any luck with this. It didn't come up when i searched. I think Microsoft took it down or removed it with a patch. Any other option for me to download it?

Easy one!

Copyright for the basic spreadsheet design of a program guide? Fucking retarded. I think that it could be easily quashed.

What type of signal are you trying to capture? HDMI, or something else? HDCP is not hard to get around, the only issue is that it has to recorded real time, not like dragging a file from a DVR hard drive.

What type of signal are you trying to capture? HDMI, or something else? HDCP is not hard to get around, the only issue is that it has to recorded real time, not like dragging a file from a DVR hard drive.
Just watching sdtv. I have the basic cable with over the air channels. I am thinking of dual booting windows 7 just to get mce back.

Back