Any way to get Vista iso? I have my cdkey just no disk.

2wiced

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I have a legit and legal Vista Business 64 bit key, but i dont have the disk anymore. Is there a way of getting an iso from somewhere?

well, whilst i really do not want to get banned, these are the ideas, mods if im breaking rules (Dont think i am) just delete it, please dont ban me :(.

1. Find a friend with a disk and use your key
2. Find a friend whos work has an msdn subscription or technet aco♥♥♥♥, and they can get u a iso,
3. Torrent it, if you do, dont get the obvious ones for pirates with cracks etc, find one that you can hash check with the ones of msdn so oyu know they have not been tampered with, i cant tell you where to find those but.

These are all valid ways and as long as you use your cd key, you should be fine.

IMHO downloading an operating system ISO without being able to check a reliable source's hash is just asking for trouble.

Borrow a Vista disk from a friend (all 64bit media is made equally) or just order the media for the litte bit of cash from like CDW and save yourself some hassel. . .

yer no, thats why i said if you cna verify hash, for example, i get an msdn through work but i can check the hash of that, and its from microsoft ). but yer, be careful

en_windows_vista_with_service_pack_1_x64_dvd_x14-29595.iso
ISO-9660 DVD Image
MD5: e4ce0b193d94279e4dce1098d6b5afeb
SHA1: bdadc46a263a7bf67eb38609770e4fdbd05247cb

IMHO downloading an operating system ISO without being able to check a reliable source's hash is just asking for trouble.

Borrow a Vista disk from a friend (all 64bit media is made equally) or just order the media for the litte bit of cash from like CDW and save yourself some hassel. . .

No, it isn't. If your key is for a version with SP1 already on it, you MUST install it as such. IDK if a pre-SP1 key will work on an SP1 disc.

No, it isn't. If your key is for a version with SP1 already on it, you MUST install it as such. IDK if a pre-SP1 key will work on an SP1 disc.
The only difference is between OEM and non-OEM media. OEM keys will not work on retail discs and vice versa. Aside from that, all Vista keys are cross-compatible between x86/x64 and SP1/pre-SP1 media for the same version of the OS.

Wrong again, with Vista OEM keys work on non OEM disc, they are all the same, just the keys do different things. Besides the different versions, there are currently three types of keys, upgrade (Vista needs to start the install from within an OS), retail (can install from boot or os) and OEM (same as retail, but needs to be phone activated if there are hardware changes). I had a copy of Home Premium OEM that I had to call to phone activate every time I reinstalled it (gave it away to a friend), my copies of Ultimate Retail I have yet to have to call in. All three I install form the same discs (1x 64-bit and 1x 32-bit).

But as for the difference between retail and OEM, I've heard both can be annoying to activate, so not 100% sure there. I have a special sort of hatred for MS activation, had the impossible to activate bug once on my system and a few times on a friends system.

Wrong again, with Vista OEM keys work on non OEM disc, they are all the same, just the keys do different things.

I have several Vista OEM keys, none of which will register with retail discs. I had to search for a valid x64 OEM ISO which was a pain in the ass to get, so I know what I'm talking about here.

I got the Upgrade disc with one of my notebooks, I used it to do a clean install on the notebook instead of using restore disc (first computer I got that had Vista). Then I used it to install retail copy of Vista on my desktop, same disc. I also used it to install upgrade version of Vista on a friends computer. All three different types off one disc, done it now several times with the different versions of Vista on different computers all using my 2 Anytime Upgrade disc. When Microsoft still had the install file available online, before they were pulled for whatever reason, they only had x86 and x64, no Retail/OEM/Upgrade. The whole Retail/OEM/Upgrade hell was back in the days of XP, those days are over!

The only difference between installing the Retail/OEM versus the Upgrade is I need to start the Upgrade from within an OS (XP, Vista or Vista 30-day trail) and the Retail/OEM I can start from either.

Now, this might be different with SP1 disc, I have no clue, still haven't got my hands on one of those yet.

I got the Upgrade disc with one of my notebooks, I used it to do a clean install on the notebook instead of using restore disc (first computer I got that had Vista). Then I used it to install retail copy of Vista on my desktop, same disc. I also used it to install upgrade version of Vista on a friends computer. All three different types off one disc, done it now several times with the different versions of Vista on different computers all using my 2 Anytime Upgrade disc. When Microsoft still had the install file available online, before they were pulled for whatever reason, they only had x86 and x64, no Retail/OEM/Upgrade. The whole Retail/OEM/Upgrade hell was back in the days of XP, those days are over!

The only difference between installing the Retail/OEM versus the Upgrade is I need to start the Upgrade from within an OS (XP, Vista or Vista 30-day trail) and the Retail/OEM I can start from either.

Now, this might be different with SP1 disc, I have no clue, still haven't got my hands on one of those yet.

You must have been using all OEM serial numbers then, whether you knew it or not. OEM and retail serial numbers are definitely not cross-compatible with each other's media.

...Retail box, check. Anytime Upgrade disc, check.

Give me your address. I have an extra Vista x64 Anytime disc I can dig out, Microsoft send me 2, PM me!

You must have been using all OEM serial numbers then, whether you knew it or not. OEM and retail serial numbers are definitely not cross-compatible with each other's media.

This is not the experience I have had personally. I have used the very same Vista disk to install both Retail keys and OEM keys without any problems whatsoever.

This is not the experience I have had personally. I have used the very same Vista disk to install both Retail keys and OEM keys without any problems whatsoever.

You've always been able to carry keys across SP versions.

When I attempted to certify my install using an ISO from a buddy, it wouldn't work. When I called, the guy told me (in terrible english) what I relayed. As soon as I loaded from the disk I received from MS, everything was cool. There's apparently more to it still. IDK. Either way, mine works now, and I'm willing to help anyone who has problems with theirs.

I've heard both sides of the story regarding retail versus OEM, but as for the Service Pack levels, that doesn't matter.

I've used one set of media, which has SP1 incorporated to install Vista many different times, with quite a few keys, some of which may have been OEM. All of these keys were issued long before SP1 was released. I don't recall with NT 4.0, but with 2000 and XP, you could use the same key with any SP version media.

With XP I'm positive that is the case, as my key is for Pre SP1 :)eek:), and the image I load it with is a slipstreamed SP3 now. I'm still not sure what the deal was with my image.

If the image I had was one of the early MSDN builds, would that change matters? How can I tell (still have the disc where I burned it)?

...Retail box, check. Anytime Upgrade disc, check.

Give me your address. I have an extra Vista x64 Anytime disc I can dig out, Microsoft send me 2, PM me!

Well, that's kinda weird then. I actually do have an x64 installation DVD now (which is how I got my current OS set up), but I'll keep your offer in mind in case I do end up having a need for an Anytime Upgrade disc :).

Back