Any way to avoid shutting down PC?

CrazyDemon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've posted here, but I need some advice for my latest project. I am building a computer for my car, and I really want to avoid having to shut it down. I know there are startup/shutdown controllers to take care of that, but I was hoping I can get around that.

Basicly, is there any way to set up the filesystem so that simply pulling the power to the powersupply on regular basis will not reslut in any damage? The computer will most likely be running TinyXP and winamp, with about 50GB of MP3s. Would it be possible to make the entire disk read only after configuring everything?

If you guys have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

have you considered using linux to do this? Linux can be configured to work perfect for such an application, including mounting disks as read only.

Sure, but from my experience tinyXP boots quite a bit faster than any version of linux ive tried. Which is a bif factor for me. Plus, Winamp is the only piece of software I've found that supports the kind of plugin I need (LC Display)

you could get a backup power supply (ups) i know that some of them can communicate with your pc through a serial cable or something so that when power is lost (turning off the car) you can make the computer shutdown software based, after a given amount of time. it might be a bit bulky considering you wont need the battery portion of it other then a few seconds of time to shutdown the computer, but its worth a thought.

Back