Any Vibrant owners here?

darksonic

Gawd
How are you enjoying the phone? Any problems? What kind of fixes have you done?

Coming from the G1, this phone is crazy. Beautiful screen, decent pictures; I love it. I'm still not 100% great at the touch screen typing but majority of the time autocorrect fixes any mistakes. So far I have rooted it, removed the bloatware, applied RYANZA 2.3 lagfix and just now did the GPS fix. All I need now is a stock 2.2 ROM.

Vibrant owner here. I'm enjoying the phone alot. I haven't rooted the phone or done any fixes and don't plan on it at this point. Had slow gps locking the first couple days but it went away.

The screen is beautiful and I'm getting good at Swype were it's faster now for me then before when I used to type it out on my old phone..

I'm about three weeks into mine. GPS locking is slow but otherwise works well. I'm experiencing some lagging but it still loads things up as fast as any other phone. My reception has been hit or miss but I think T-mobile is partly to blame....the reception issues went away when they replaced my first phone and sim card but the data is still pretty slow. When I'm around HSPA+ the internet screams but unfortunately Phoenix only has 20% coverage on that right now.

So far I love the phone, it's a little too thin for my tastes and in that regard I wish I had an Evo. Build quality is fine, it feels cheap because it's light but so far it's been a little tank (I'm a phone abuser). I love Allshare and have been streaming via the XBMC app a lot lately. As a media device this thing is hands down the best phone on the market. On the app side the stock mail app has compatibility issues with Yahoo, like the iPhone there aren't any good nzb apps out there, and I wish there were more games but I've been more than happy with the 3D games I have at the moment.

I switched from an iPhone and it didn't take long to realize that Android is lightyears ahead of Apple right now. I couldn't be happier and the same sentiment is resonating from my friends who are dumping Apple as soon as their contracts are up. My nontechie girl spent two hours on this the night I brought it home and not only did she think it is light years ahead of Apple she thought it was just as easy, if not easier to use. I can't wait for 2.2 and its fixes and updates....according to the dev forums overseas the beta versions of 2.2 they're running turn this into a completely different phone. I can't wait.

Had a Vibrant almost 2 weeks. Love it. Been playing with my gf's iphone 3gs for a long while. And I have to say I like mine far better.

Haven't rooted it or done anything really. It feels fast enough and does what I need. Screen is great. Its light. GPS sucks balls. I need to figure out how to fix it. And reception feels like it isnt as good as my last crappy tmobile flip phone.

Also a new vibrant smartphone user. Rooted, lag fix, and removed the lag fix so I could use wireless teather which makes this phone a monster. Play Eve online flawlessly LOL. Already have a few seasons of Lost and most of my music on it. Screen keyboard is bomb just make sure you change it to the android one if you have fat fingers.

sdotcarter - what lagfix and wireless tether are you using? I flashed over this app, which is the wireless tether app that comes stock with the international Galaxy S. Works fine with RyanZA's 2.3 lagfix.

So that GPS fix absolutely borked Maps so I had to revert back to the original settings. I guess I'll just have to wait until Samsung releases an official fix.

I have one, and its great. Its amazing how much better it is over my old G1, lol.

GPS is ok, works decently for me. Occationally its inaccurate and puts me on another street for a second but will regain decent accuracy and work pretty normal.

You shouldn't need to remove the lag fix for a tethering app, I'm using this one without issues on my external SD EXT version.

I have a vibrant as well. First I had a G1, which was great for its time but then started to crap out on me. Next I got the HD2, which sucked from the moment i got it until i put 2.1 on it. Now im at the vibrant and its my favorite phone to date, you just cant beat the hummingbird proc.

Have owned the Vibrant for over 2 weeks and love every aspect of it. I don't use GPS.

The gorilla glass is extremely sturdy, and I have enough confidence in it that I don't use a screen protector. I just put the phone in a sleeve when it is pocketed.

Coming from the Xperia X10, the Vibrant's superior display and touch accuracy, along with 2.1 are gigantic improvements. I was initially unhappy with how much TouchWiz and the Galaxy's exterior resemble the iPhone, but now, I find these qualities acceptable.

Ha, seems like everyone has upgraded from the G1 (including myself).

Love it so far - one click root, lag fix, gps fix by settings, removed gps fix settings. Screen is butter. I don't use a screen protector, but I'm careful to put my car keys and sharp objects and the phone in separate pockets. Currently looking for apps/games that take advantage of the display and cpu.

sdotcarter - what lagfix and wireless tether are you using? I flashed over this app

Can't find the free clockworkmod. Only one I see is the one in the market for $2.99. Surfing from my phone because Verizon wont be out to install fios for another 3 weeks. Direct download links would be bomb if you could shoot me in that direction.

Search the market for ROM Manager. It includes the latest Clockwork recovery. Just install the app, run it and click on "Install Clockwork Recovery." Once it's installed, click on Restart to Recovery. Chances are your phone will restart to the stock recovery - that's normal, just use the power button to select "reinstall packages."

My clockwork now needs to be force closed everytime I open it. When we get the net I'm going to flash the factory Tom and state from the beginning.

Dark, got that rom installed yesterday. Now I love that tethering app. It just works. Time to get lagfix installed.

I got mine 3-4 weeks ago, and my wife just got hers a week or so ago. I am really enjoying it most of the time, the exceptions are when the GPS is acting wonky.

Ha, seems like everyone has upgraded from the G1 (including myself).

, but I'm careful to put my car keys and sharp objects and the phone in separate pockets. Currently looking for apps/games that take advantage of the display and cpu.

Screen is made from gorilla glass, so you dont have to worry about the keys part. Just dont put a knife in there. :)

My brother has a iphone 4 and his girl has a Vibrant. Comparing them is no comparison. 4 out of 5 times the Vibrant bests the iphone4. Battery life and GPS are the only two things I'd give the iphone over the Vibrant. Screen, speed, everything else goes to Vibrant. Having seen the Vibrant in hand now it made my decision to wait for the Fascinate instead of the DroidX [Im on VZW obviously]

Screen is made from gorilla glass, so you dont have to worry about the keys part. Just dont put a knife in there. :)
I still put a Realook on mine. There are guys on XDA who already have scratches. Gorilla glass is strong but not indestructible. I can't tell the Realook is even on there aside from a tendency to show fingerprints more.

I've had screen protector on mine, then read the engadget article on it having gorilla glass and then people on xda saying That it's sturdy. Took mine off, been off for a week and so far so good. I hear some complain about screen scratching once they took it off, hasn't happened to me yet.

Good luck without your screen protector. I have a t mobile one, nonstick/no residue screen cover, and the rubber/gel cover on the outside and i feel good about that protection.

Had the vibrant since it hit tmobile. Solid as a phone ha s ever been for me. Only gripe I have with it is battery life when gaming. The snes emu lasts me 3 hrs and about half that with the psx one. Also, tethering it to my lap and torrenting overnight requires I restart the phone after several hours. It becomes super laggy. Otherwise, champ of a phone.

I haven't had a screen protector on my phone the entire time I've had it. So far no scratches.

I'm running the ClearFreak screen protector. Smudges are noticeable, but otherwise, I'm glad to have the screen protected. I've got a XTREMEGuard here, for when I feel it's time t switch.

I'm absolutely unhappy about the GPS issue. I use it quite a lot, and it is unusable on the Vibrant. I'm holding out hope that it will be fixed via an OTA update soon. (I've tried the XDA fixes, to no avail.)

Screen is beautiful, no problems with battery life, BT connects to my truck just fine. Swype works 90% in making up for the lack of a keyboard (coming from G1 & Hermes before that).

-bZj

Two scratches on my i9000m Vibrant, both small and not on the display area thankfully. But Gorilla Glass /= impervious. Any small "sand" particle with a higher hardness can scratch it (quartz being a fairly common culprit).

I got an invisible shield. I wouldn't recommend it. It has a lot of "texture" Its not smooth at all. And it kinda clouds the awesome screen....

Is there any way to use the Vibrant on a different network than T-Mobile? We don't get coverage from them around here.

I've got the Vibrant. So far I like it a lot. I rooted it and installed the lagfix.

Is there any way to use the Vibrant on a different network than T-Mobile? We don't get coverage from them around here.

It can be unlocked for use on AT&T, however there are variants of the Galaxy S series on every major US Carrier (Vibrant on T-Mo, Captivate on ATT, Epic 4G on Sprint, Fascinate on Verizon).

Basically if I were to sum it up:

Hardware is a thing of beauty that (thanks to the AMOLED display) tops the iPhone. Weight isn't too much of an issue, feels solid IMO. Place where it miserably fails?

SOFTWARE! Samsung/T-Mobile included so much bloat and locked us into so many applications I can only wait for Cyanogen to descend from the heavens, as the forums brands it, to replace everything with the beauty of tweaked vanilla applications and the functionality of cracked homebrew tethering apps for a lean mean machine. Until then - curse Samsung.

Until then - root, install Titanium Backup and remove bloat, install LauncherPro and never look back at TouchWiz again.

Basically if I were to sum it up:

Hardware is a thing of beauty that (thanks to the AMOLED display) tops the iPhone. Weight isn't too much of an issue, feels solid IMO. Place where it miserably fails?

SOFTWARE! Samsung/T-Mobile included so much bloat and locked us into so many applications I can only wait for Cyanogen to descend from the heavens, as the forums brands it, to replace everything with the beauty of tweaked vanilla applications and the functionality of cracked homebrew tethering apps for a lean mean machine. Until then - curse Samsung.

I completely disagree with you! There's stock Eugene's Rom already out for it anyways!

I love the way Touch Wiz makes this phone look, messaging app is way better than stock android, music app is MILES above anything I have seen on a cell phone. With EQ and other sound enchantments it makes my music sound amazing, versus subpar android music app.

Bloatware, I agree. That's why I rooted my phone and got rid of it.

Touchwiz has a lot of other nifty features outside of the launcher-it gets a lot of undeserved hate. IE swipe contact left/right to message/call, swipe notification bar for brightness control, elastic menus, fantastic dialer that displays relavent contacts as you dial numbers, as well as the amazing messaging and music apps that were already mentioned. The only thing I don't like is the launcher itself, which can be easily replaced with LauncherPro or ADW while still retaining all the other cool features of TW.

It's too bad that we're going to lose all these rad features in Cyanogen 6.1 :(

Touchwiz has a lot of other nifty features outside of the launcher-it gets a lot of undeserved hate. IE swipe contact left/right to message/call, swipe notification bar for brightness control, elastic menus, fantastic dialer that displays relavent contacts as you dial numbers, as well as the amazing messaging and music apps that were already mentioned. The only thing I don't like is the launcher itself, which can be easily replaced with LauncherPro or ADW while still retaining all the other cool features of TW.

It's too bad that we're going to lose all these rad features in Cyanogen 6.1 :(

Exactly, I just use adw instead. As much as I love vanilla android, it doesn't compare to touch wiz. Dialer is way better, messaging, everything mentioned. They took everything I was meh about with android and made if great. I also love overswipe that you see on iPhone, when you can still swipe up when you reach top.

Exactly, I just use adw instead. As much as I love vanilla android, it doesn't compare to touch wiz. Dialer is way better, messaging, everything mentioned. They took everything I was meh about with android and made if great. I also love overswipe that you see on iPhone, when you can still swipe up when you reach top.

Yeah, that "overswipe" is the elasticisty of the menus. It's a subtle feature but makes a huge difference in making the UI feel more polished.

Maybe it's just me, but having a Blues Clues black and boyish blue for a theme setting makes me question their design choices overall. And the buttons themselves look too beveled. These are the subtle looks killing it for me - and the thing I'm really complaining about is that until CM, I can't change it.

To each their own. TouchWiz feels like babies first iPhone to me and I can't stand it. I thought the swipe left or right thing was neat at first but I never use it. Whenever I do remember that it's there I always end up swiping the wrong way, so I'm better off not using it.

Back