Any USB drive encryption software that doesn't require you install their software?

Korgun

Supreme [H]ardness
I found a lot of them that requre you to install but I don't want to clog up other people's computers with software they won't use.

I just tried TrueCrypt and this too requires that you install TrueCrypt on the computer so this doesn't help at all. If you plug it into a computer with TC isn't installed it just asks you if you want to format the disk.

One of my usb flash cards comes with a program on the flash card which if you double click on it it asks you for the password and if you enter the correct password it shows you everything on the disk.

Now I know most of the other solutions are probably more secure. I won't be keeping important/extremely confidential stuff. I just want to keep the average guy out.

Btw I tried putting the program on the other flash card but it detects that it's not an iomega card and the program quits.

What about the integrated XP encryption? Or does that require NTFS? Maybe you can format it as ntfs...

Microsoft does not support NTFS (which is required for EFS) on removable volumes. The overhead of the file system is too high on typically small removable disks. Also, EFS will only work within the domain where the files were originally encrypted, and are accessible only to the user who originally encrypted the files/folders or EFS recovery agents in the same domain. The private key required to decrypt the data is tied to the user's SID in the domain. As soon as the OP hooked the disk up to a machine in a different domain, the data would be inaccessible. (This is why EFS encrypted data is permanently inaccessible after Windows is reinstalled - all of the original SIDs and private keys are erased.) While it is possible to export the EFS private key, having it on the disk would defeat the purpose of encrypting the data, as the would-be h4x0r would simply import the key on the disk and gain access to the files. EFS isn't the answer here.

Back