Any truth to SP3 giving XP any real speed gains?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
When SP3 was in beta, there was a single report from Devil Mountain Software which said that SP3 seemed to give XP a boost in speed. Since this came from a single source, I questioned it from day one figuring that this may be a fabricated rumor to further Vista hate which another rumor (probably false too) said that SP1 slowed Vista.

Ever since November, I have not heard much. I have seen tests that say Vista has gotten faster (contrary to the rumors) but I have not heard anything about the performance of XP SP3. I have searched the web but all I find is reports citing this suspect November report from Devil Mountain Software.

It will depend on who you ask. For the record, MS has not officially said anything about any type of speed gains. It's an update roll-up with a couple of corporate-demand addons. It's not intended to change the OS experience for the vast majority of users, and isn't designed to potentially break things.

If it did it was not enough to see a difference in day to day usage.

These Devil Mountain Software people do highly suspect benchmarks in my opinion.. they only benchmark using Office, and they do it in virtual machines, and then come up with conclusions like XP being twice as fast as Vista.

Not noticed any performance benefits on an E8400, X38, 4GB, 8800GT running XP Pro

Back