Any tips for optimizing new boxen?

Fist, congrats on resuming the #1 spot.
I have just built a new boxen with an MSI mobo, a socket 478 Celeron D at 2.93ghz, and 512mb of PC2100 RAM. My Athlon is down until I get a new PSU and some RAM. Would more and faster RAM help my Celeron fold, or should I just save the money and build a new boxen when I get back in country in July? I can't overclock right now, as outside temps are in the low 80s. Also, the power down here is still intermittent. I have an UPS than can probably keep both systems running for about 5 minutes, but sometimes the power is out too long. What should I set the checkpointing at to avoid losing too many points? Thanks for any input.

Postalgeist

p.s. Sorry for being a stranger lately, real life is keeping me pretty busy. I hope all of you are well in the new year.

i doubt ram is your bottleneck in folding, i wouldnt buy more unless you need it elsewhere. if power failures are common, i'd set checkpoint writing to 3 minutes. but losing power to a hard drive in the middle of a write can have ill effects.

dualdrop[H]enia

CPU speed and the core is the main thing for folding. Like santaliquer said, have the checkpoints at 3 minutes. I also recommend you edit the registry to allow the -forceasm so SSE optimizations are forced on regardless of power cut or not.

Have fun folding.

I would leave the checkpoint where it is... awhile back, someone figured out that lowering the checkpoint actually increased the amount of time it took to do the WU... the increase in time to complete the WU, was far greater than the recovery from the default (15 min) checkpoint..... but, a new client has been released, so, YMMV... And, as always, I could be remembering wrong :)

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Back