Any suggestions/advice welcome -- Problem w/ Belkin router

Davan

Gawd
So I moved into a new apartment recently and had Comcast come in and install DSL. Needed to share the connection with my girlfriend so I went by Fry's and picked up a Belkin f5d7230-4 cause it was cheap. Works ok, when it works.

The problem is that the router constantly drops the internet connection to all PC's connected to it (at most 4), and I have to log in and restart the router to get the connection back. Belkin's Indian tech support is supremely useless and does not help one iota. If it matters, the desktop is connected via CAT5 cabling, the girlfriends desktop is connected via Airlink USB network access point, the Media Center is connected via linksys PCI b/g card, and the laptop is connected by Intel wireless. None of the connections stay up when it mysteriously decides it doesnt want to tranfer data any more.

I have a very old D-Link DI-514 that Im unable to make work with the cable modem at this time, and a newer Linksys router that makes an insufferable beep/whine/scream when its plugged in, so its hovering near the trashcan. However, if anyone knows an easy way to fix those instead I wouldnt be adverse to dumping the Belkin in favor of one of those.

At this point I am desperate and if anyone can recommend any way to keep my connection up consistently for more than 24 hours at a time I would like to hear it.

Thanks!

If I recall...that model has a "turbo" mode...try disabling it in the web admin.

Latest firmware I'm assuming?

I've installed quite a few Belkin routers...had decent luck with them.

If I recall...that model has a "turbo" mode...try disabling it in the web admin.

Latest firmware I'm assuming?

I've installed quite a few Belkin routers...had decent luck with them.

I've tried turbo both enabled and disabled, no discernable difference. Firmware is most current, at least as of 2 weeks ago

dude, i had the same problem with my belkin Pre-N model ( i don't remember the exact number) all HTTP traffic stoped flowing, but FTP and IM was fine. I found that uploading pictures using the Flickr Uploadr or through Facebook was recreating the problem.

When i called belkin with that info, they offered an RMA, which i took and the new one is working fine, no HTTP traffic being dropped!

If you are experiencing the same problems, only HTTP dieing, just RMA it, or take it back to your electronics store if you still can and get another, you probably just got a bad nut.

Back