Any split keyboards (i.e. 2 separate halves)?

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I'm looking for a QWERTY keyboard that is made of physically separate parts: one for your left hand and another for your right. The parts shouldn't be attached at all.

Are there any like that? Either wireless or wired, I don't care, but wireless makes more sense.

The idea is to do everything I'm doing now on a single keyboard, but to be able to take my two hands further apart from each other.

It shouldn't be too hard to make it yourself (or just use two keyboards and place them apart), but I was wondering if there are any products available...

Thanks.

I have the comfort keyboard. It rocks. If you like, I was thinking of doing a full review on it with pictures and such. The keyboard is nice, but the site and whats out there on it are lacking.

Here is the one I have...

http://www.comfortkeyboard.com/keyboards_comfort.html

You can order direct and opt for one of 3 different key resistances, among other things like how long you want the cord between each module to be. It took me about a day to get used to typing on two vertical keyboards, if that. You can add on the ergo-rests as well (seperate, clamp onto edge of table). This will allow you better positioning when typing if you prefer the 'vertical' or 'tie-fighter' style like I do.

Yeah, the comfort keyboard rocks hard IMO. The only thing that would make it better would be use of mechanical switches, considering it is a $300 board. At first I was going to just get the ergoflex, but upon seeing the comfort in person and how it works, the quality of the mechanism is top notch so I went for it. In the photos you cant tell if the board is nice or something flimsy made in china. Well, its tough. The comfort mechanism is all fine machined steel and tough ABS plastic... like the keyboard itself.

One feature that I havent used yet is the macro/remapping of the keys. You can easily remap the keys or save macros to any key you want on the fly. Im not a big macro user though... but I can see how some might like it.

But yeah, I love me some comfort keyboard. I usually have my number panel in the center, with the two main parts about 30" apart totally vertical with a slight tilt away... maybe a photo is better...

This is what I have: http://www.comfortkeyboard.com/keyboards_comfort.html
I am local to CK, so that is one reason I opted for them... at least in the sense that I got to actually see their products in person and try them out which is what really sold me over. I always thought they might be the best in this category, but their $$$ made me wary without trying one first. And from what you can see in their photos, its hard to tell the quality level of the board (and the USB + dome switch design hints at something less than uber-1337). After getting my hands on one in person, the extra $$$ for one of these over the Safetype ( http://www.safetype.com/ ) or Kinesis Freestyle was easy to justify (http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle.htm ). The Safetype I didnt like due to its fixed placement (too narrow compared to what I wanted, and $200 anyways). The Kinesis starts out cheaper, but it lacks the keypad like the CK, so they smoosh them into the edge. This would raise your hand placement if positioned in a vertical format. It lacks a number pad (although it means you aren't moving your hand either when typing since there are only 2 sections), so you would have to order one seperate if you wanted it, and the arrow keys aren't so convenient (or are they?). But by putting some of these additional keys on the edges, beyond the normal edge keys, you not only have raised your hand position up, but it makes it too easy to hit the edge keys when you meant to hit the 'enter', 'shift', 'cntrl' or other keys that your hand normally senses are on the outer edge. I know when my pinky fingers aren't busy, they actually rest on this outer edge (this is how I position more than the little nubs on the F & J keys. Also, from the look and reviews, the keys are more like 'laptop' keys it seems... soft, not alot of travel, etc... and I really like my 'clicky klacky' boards better. The Kinesis also has fixed cords, rather than interchangable/removable plugs... so a 'Captain Kirk' keyboard means your chair is attached to the CPU (okay if your computer tower is next to your lay-z-boy). The fixed cord between the two halves on the Kinesis is also short. When I contacted Kinesis to see about a 6' cord, they said sure, but it would be custom and raise the price from $99 to $140-ish. So between that and an extra keypad, I would be up in CK's Ergoflex price range anyways. When I went to CK, I intended on getting the Ergoflex since the Comfort version seemed too much more the justify the price (and I couldn't tell the quality from online photos). After trying it, it was an easy upsell... My intent was too use velcro to mount the ergoflex in a manner I show in the first picture 'how I like it', but the additional adjustment range, quality and look of the comfort system sold me over my intended DIY solution.

This is how I like my Comfort Keyboard... vertical, slight decline (if you can call it that in the vertical), and as wide as possible. Just try placing your hands like this and imagine typing and how it would feel... yeah... much nicer on your hands & wrists as well as arms and shoulders. I have an old injury in my right wrist that surgery and such can only do so much. I can type on a normal keyboard, but the tension and fatigue builds up after time. With the vertical format that these boards offer, this is not a problem anymore. Also, some computer users tend to develop back/neck/shoulder aches. Well, when you spread out the sections so your arms are angled straight out or even apart, your shoulders aren't 'twisted in' and you tend to sit up better. This CK board has relieved alot of the tension I experience after writing reports for hours. I think Im going to remove the comfort supports from the bottom of the keypad section. I tend to leave it flat, and would rather be able to slide it around out of the way of the main sections. I like it in the middle between the two main boards since it allows me to have the main two as far apart as possible, but my instinct is for my right arm to reach to the right for the number pad and arrows. So I think I will just convert the number pad section to a 'ergoflex' style so it moves around like a seperate & flat number pad. Other than that, this is how I like it...

keyboardthewayIlike.jpg

Here it is in a format that is similar to what most are used to with MS and Logitech keyboards...
keyboard5.jpg

Tie-Fighter style. This is about as close as you can get them since the tension wheels dont overlap on these two. I was going to try the freestyle in this format as well, perhaps using velcro to stick the main sections on opposite sides of a 6" block that I could hold in my lap to type (a cube with a slight 'decline' on the sides). Or heck, just sticking the bottom of both main sections together might be nice for some in a sort of 'inverted T' format. It cant be done with the comfort system attached, but it can still be removed to make it like the ergoflex, so no matter. As it turns out, I prefer the vertical but wider placement anyways.
keyboard4.jpg

Where I started out. The hard part wasn't the vertical format, but the distance between the hands. The way the brain (at least my brain) maps out the keys seems relative to hand placement, so it was actually very easy to transition to 'Tie-Fighter' style, but when I wanted to go with a wider format, I had to restart with a more horizontal placement so I could take a look sometimes until I got used to it.
keyboard2.jpg

Then I could start moving them vertical...
keyboard3.jpg

^^^ you can also see the quality of the 'lift' mechanisms in that photo. All steel and the finger/tension-wheel is some sort of hard plastic (my guess is ABS). The bottom plate is solid steel as well. All together, this keyboard is solid, heavy, and can take a beating.

undersideofCK.jpg

This photo shows the bottom side of the keyboard. Its all high quality and solid... the photos you find online just dont paint a good picture of this at all. For all you can tell, its some cheap flimsy plastic. I hope these photos do a better job. If you wanted, you can also detach the bottom supports (screws for the rails are on the inside so you have to open up the board) and convert any of the sections to be the 'ergoflex'.
http://www.comfortkeyboard.com/keyboards_ergoflex.html

On a side note, the keys aren't mechanical (too bad for a $300 keyboard, eh?), but you can opt for regular, soft, or ultra-soft stiffness/touch. I opted for the regular with the idea that they might soften up enough down the road, but I think I might call them and ask for the soft dome pads (I can swap them out myself). The keyboard can be purchased with extra USB ports, but I opted out since my case has plenty and I would never use ones on the keyboard. The three sections are connected/communicate with each other with RJ11/12 'telephone' cable, but the internal wiring is 'flipped' so 1-6, 2-5, 3-4. The cords can be ordered longer... 6' if you want to say, wrap the cord under a chair and mount the pads on the arm-rests captain kirk style. Note that until a wireless version comes out, this also means that you just corded your chair to your tower then...lol. Although, since the primary connection to the computer is via a USB cable, you could just unplug it whenever you want. The telephone cables are interchangable... as long as all three units are connected via the 2 RJ11/12 cords, it doesn't matter which one goes where. On the number pad there is a USB (standard-B) plug to connect to the computer (Standard-A plug). You can also extend the spacebars to be wider (in vertical format, they would stick straight up)... I tried it and dont see the point.

The keyboard is also fully remappable/macro ready. You can redo key placement, or even reprogram existing keys for multiple others (macro) functions on the fly. There is no additional software needed or drivers to install... Windows 7-64 recognized and set it up instantly when I plugged it in. Sometimes, because it is USB I bet, the keyboard 'disconnects'. I dont know why, but its as easy as pulling out the USB cable (Im glad there is a plug on the keyboard rather than having to pull it on the computer case) and plugging it back in to get it working again. Im sure it has to do with me hitting the 'C'/programming button on accident so it seems its not responding, but Im really in some programming mode. This happened alot when I first purchased the board, as I was constantly playing with the positioning. Now, I dont as much so I haven't had to 'replug' the keyboard in some time. So I chalk it up to 'user error'.

What would make this the ultimate gamer board or better? Not much... for me, the split board and near infinite adjustment of the sections does it for me. Perhaps backlit LED's (for low-light environments), but if you like the vertical format, its pointless since you wont be able to see much. Not to mention, if you are using it like that, you better be able to 'touch type'. It seems backlit keys are just for show, as many boards like the 'happy hacker' boards have blank keys, and sometimes lack the F-keys as well.

I suppose for some, cherry or other mechanical switches would be nice.

Perhaps some additional keys for media like alot of other boards would be nice, but then I know additional driver software is needed as well, so not really wanted anyways. Still, perhaps 2-3 extra 'blank' keys would be nice so that those who use every other key on the standard board would still have a few to program as macros.

Perhaps a breakout LCD like the Logitech boards would be cool. On the USB boards it could just plug into the USB port on the top edge of the number pad and just be flipped up. Once again, then you need software, and really, I dont see a point. Rather than getting an additional LCD on the keyboard, you can get one for your drive bays, or even a 'breakout' box with a USB plug anyways, and thats how I would rather have it anyways. Still, a LCD display might make it nice to see or edit macros, or other 'status' related things. As it is, the three LED's for the 'Lock' lights change colors to show modes and status, but to decode them you need the manual. A LCD here could display those things as well as more.

My only personal area of improvement is in the ergonomics department. CK sells these... http://www.comfortkeyboard.com/ergo_wrist.html Since I live within 10 minutes of CK, I had a chance to try them out in person, and they are cool. They allow you to set a height once clamped onto the table edge but you can swivel and slide from side to side freely. They are sturdy and strong (and Im a 6'5" 260lb guy so I would know), but I have my monitor(s) elevated so my keyboard & mouse can be pushed forward. This allows me to rest my arms on the table a little when typing and mousing with a good 8-12" of 'ledge' space. Because of this, these ergorests wont work for me. The thing is, with the vertical format, my hands/wrists need to be a few inches higher compared to the 'flat' position. So I need to come up with some forearm rest that goes right on the table. In the meantime, sometimes its just easier to lift the whole thing and put it on my lap when its in the wide spread & vertical format... which works very well actually. I can see why some might prefer to mount the two main halves of the board so you reach straight down the sides of your chair (on the outside of the armrests) to type. Like this guy...

http://thecraftstudio.com/bcboy/keyboard.html

If only there was a good vertical gaming grade mouse to go with this, I would be all set. The thing is, I realize with mice that the precision is in your thumb and fingers (index and middle fingers) which is why many 'claw' or 'invert' their mice. To go vertical means your wrist, which is less accurate, is now all you can use for accuracy. This also puts more stress on the elbow and shoulder since to be precise, you tend to 'tense up' the opposing muscles in control of precision. So it looks like I will be sticking to my MS sidewinder x8. I have an idea on how to make a vertical mouse with fingertip precision though, so maybe the EE in me can figure this one out.

Last edited:
Wow undertheradar that setup looks... unusual shall I say. But very interesting setup indeed. I've never seen or heard about these things before. Are there any videos of these keyboards in action?

Back