• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any speaker recommendations?

Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
731
I have am done tweaking my new rig and my speakers finally took a shit. I got them back in 2001 though so I would say it is time for a new set. I was looking into getting a set of 3.1 speakers but after looking around there are hardly any around. I would get a new set of 5.1 but I don't have a place to put the rear speakers other than on the ground. If I were to get a set of 5.1 I would probably just hook up the front, center and sub. Should I go this route or will it not be worth it? Basically I want to know if a center speaker is going to make the sound quality/experience that much better or should I just get a 2.1 and call it good?
 
I do have space for a receiver. I do not want to spend anymore than $200 and preferably less than $150. I have seen quite a few logitech 5.1 speaker sets for around $150 but no idea on the quality/sound of these sets. At the same time I am finding 2.1 sets for over $150 so this is where I have no idea what to go for. Is a $150.00, 5.1 speaker set such as this, a better buy than lets say a 2.1 set like this at the price of $129.99? I can see the wattage difference but what other factors should I look for? At 30 dollars more I am leaning towards getting 5.1 just because it gives me more speakers which in my mind tells me better sound.

BTW - I just randomly picked these two sets... I am not set on buying one of these two I just picked them to show an example.

Thanks for the reply.
 
Lol. How about you steer clear from Logicrap and look into Audioengine, Swans, and M-Audio?
 
This is why I started this thread. I am better off going with one of those brands over logitech then? Thanks for the input I will look at some of those brands speakers and see whats up.
 
Logicrap is a big no no.

Other brands to look at:
Samson MediaOne series
JBL
Mackie

Take a look through here: http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors

And here: http://www.bananasmusic.com/productlist2.asp/subcategoryid_342/subcategory_Powered-Monitors

Damn some of these speakers are expensive. I guess you get what you pay for in sound quality and durability.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MediaOne4/ would be a good buy then Criccio? These are the Samson MediaOne series. Probably a lower end model but still in my price range. Some of these speakers are over $500 a piece which is way more than I was looking to spend. Hell my TV surround sound set didn't even cost that much. If I were to get a set of speakers similar to this though I would need to get a receiver correct? If that is the case I may just switch my TV speaker set with the new set because the ones i have are cheap and my TV room should have better sound than my computer room.
 
Well, the MediaOne4a have internal amplification, so no receiver required. Would be handy for PC speakers as they'd run straight out of the output with no amp/receiver necessary.
 
Yea I know the links I posted included some really pricey models but I was assuming you would just look at the <$250 models.

Those Samsons are very nice. They are a type of speaker called "active monitors". The amplifier is internal so they are great for saving space and they sound incredible for their price.
 
Ohh right I see. Okay and does anyone happen to have a pair of these speakers? I just want a good set of speakers that is going to make my gaming experience top notch. These speakers have a sub built into them so I guess bass will be covered. I play a lot of FPS titles so when a grenade blows up in my face I want to feel it. My previous Logitech speakers sounded great with games but it had 5 speakers and a sub so is everyone saying these speakers are going to sound much better even though there is only 2 of them? They obviously are much larger so I am assuming the answer to that question is yes but again this is the whole reason I started this thread.
 
In trying to get good sound on a limited budget, we start with a quality set of monitors, usually just two speakers which can produce clean sound from around 60hz to 20khz, which so far this thread has achieved in giving us options for.

Now that you have your clean sound, you'll eventually want to head into the lower octave and get the bass that drivers in these monitors simply can't produce as a result of their size limitations. They will give you clean bass, but they won't be able to produce the sound pressure required for anything below 50hz, the stuff that shakes the room. So the next stage is to buy a dedicated sub. You can wait until after you've purchased a set of monitors and saved up some more cash, then do some research and find a sub that matches your monitors and room well.

Something like the Dayton 12" from Parts Express.

If planning to get a sub, or even if not, a 4" driver may be lacking the lower frequency extension you may like. There's a MediaOne 5a demo priced option at Sweetwater.
 
Last edited:
If adding a powered subwoofer down the line is your plan, I suggest not looking at active monitors. There just isn't any "right" way to hook one up.

A used receiver/integrated amp and 2 bookshelf speakers would be a better bet. The receiver/amp would have an LFE out which is made for dedicated powered subs.
 
Anyone know a good, <$100 speaker amp? Just needs to take stereo analog.
 
OP: I wouldn't go with active monitors if gaming audio is of primary importance. They basically limit you to a 2-channel setup. As criccio noted, you can't even hook up a powered sub properly with actives. If you really enjoy the surround sound aspect of games, then it would be better to start with a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Add subwoofer/center/surrounds over time as your budget permits.
 
Back
Top