• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any semi-gloss 24" IPS yet?

bleagh

Weaksauce
Joined
May 27, 2012
Messages
100
I've noticed that there is a 23" and a 27" now with semi-gloss AG coating, but I'm looking more for a 24" with a 16x10 ratio. The 16x9 23" is too short, and the 27" is just too expensive.

Thanks.
 
If you consider PLS the same as IPS, the Samsung 24"er has been out for a while. But it has been known to have backlight bleed issues. It is semi-glossy.
 
Yes, I am aware of the Samsung AND it's backlight beeding problems. Not something I want to mess with unless Samsung fixes the problem. Or maybe Asus or such will release one using the same screen.
 
I recently bought the 24" Samsung PLS & am very impressed. The viewing angles are better than any of the recent IPS panels I've had. Also enjoy the semi-gloss finish compared to the anti-glare coating most of the IPS panels have been using. I too am curious about the up-coming U2413 as well as this one from NEC:

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/ea244wmi-bk
 
How bad is the PLS glow on that Samsung? Similar to IPS glow?

And is yours mostly bleed-free?

I'm also interested in that NEC, but I have a feeling it may be similar to Eizo's newer 24" and the 2412 ... heavy AG coating. Guess we'll find out eventually...
 
Doubt you'll ever find one.

16:10 is quickly going the way of the Dodo.

really? I've been hearing this crap for the last 4 years, however we still have 16:10 24" and 16:10 30" monitors. they have not faded, or disappeared.
 
How bad is the PLS glow on that Samsung? Similar to IPS glow?

And is yours mostly bleed-free?

I'm also interested in that NEC, but I have a feeling it may be similar to Eizo's newer 24" and the 2412 ... heavy AG coating. Guess we'll find out eventually...


The glow is a non-issue for me. Yes there is a tad when the screen is blank, but I never work on a blank screen, so it's a mute point.

Regarding the AG coating on the new NEC EA244WMi , here's what Art Marshall, NEC Product Manager & frequenter of these forums, PM'd me:

Hey there! The EA244WMi has a much better IPS panel with a much less aggressive AG coating. I think you'll like it - it's a good improvement over the previous generation of panels.

-- Art
 
The glow is a non-issue for me. Yes there is a tad when the screen is blank, but I never work on a blank screen, so it's a mute point.

Regarding the AG coating on the new NEC EA244WMi , here's what Art Marshall, NEC Product Manager & frequenter of these forums, PM'd me:

Hey there! The EA244WMi has a much better IPS panel with a much less aggressive AG coating. I think you'll like it - it's a good improvement over the previous generation of panels.

-- Art

Thanks for the info. That NEC model may be promising then. It's also not priced insanely high like their professional models tend to be. I wonder if it's 6 bit + FRC or 8-bit, but after proper reviews, I expect we'll find out.

As for 16:10 vanishing, I have no idea why people still bother saying that. There are upcoming models (this NEC, for example, and the Dell 2413) at 16:10. If you look for them, you can even find 4:3 monitors and 5:4s being made. Yeah, 16:10 isn't as popular as it once was, but they will be around for a while still.
 
The glow is a non-issue for me. Yes there is a tad when the screen is blank, but I never work on a blank screen, so it's a mute point.

Regarding the AG coating on the new NEC EA244WMi , here's what Art Marshall, NEC Product Manager & frequenter of these forums, PM'd me:

Hey there! The EA244WMi has a much better IPS panel with a much less aggressive AG coating. I think you'll like it - it's a good improvement over the previous generation of panels.

-- Art

You don't appear to be ESL so I'll let you know that it isn't "a mute point" it's "a moot point".

If you flame me for pointing this out then don't complain when everyone around you lets you walk around all day with toilet paper stuck to your shoe.
 
What does that product manager's statement mean when he says the NEC has a "much better" panel? Much better than what? It's standard color gamut, and even though I'm interested in buying one I'm not sure what that refers to.

I, too, am sick of my AG coating (HP LP2065).
 
really? I've been hearing this crap for the last 4 years, however we still have 16:10 24" and 16:10 30" monitors. they have not faded, or disappeared.

Hopefully people will come to realize what a sham 16:9 is. 16:10 is far more ideal aspect ratio for computing bar none.
When is the last time anyone scrolled horizontally through a web page? EXACKLY!!
 
The glow is a non-issue for me. Yes there is a tad when the screen is blank, but I never work on a blank screen, so it's a mute point.

Regarding the AG coating on the new NEC EA244WMi , here's what Art Marshall, NEC Product Manager & frequenter of these forums, PM'd me:

Hey there! The EA244WMi has a much better IPS panel with a much less aggressive AG coating. I think you'll like it - it's a good improvement over the previous generation of panels.

-- Art


Yeah too bad NEC's are way over priced.
 
really? I've been hearing this crap for the last 4 years, however we still have 16:10 24" and 16:10 30" monitors. they have not faded, or disappeared.

Yeah, and for the most part they've been just that...crap. 30" not included.

Besides, the OP wants a 24" with a semi-glossy panel. All of the Dell 16:10 offerings have heavy AG. The others have their own issues. Maybe a PLS panel will fit the bill. It really depends on what the OP is using the panel for,

So, keep hearing this "crap".
 
Last edited:
$352.69 + shipping seems very reasonable...provided the quality is there.

http://www.provantage.com/scripts/search.dll?QUERY=EA244WMi+&Submit.x=4&Submit.y=18

not bad.. if I didn't already have a U2412. For all I complain about the harsh AG coating on this one I'd hate to have a glossy screen even more. I notice every single reflection.

The samsung I had was great but I did not like the black crush effect it has when looking at it dead center... plus I like 16:10 so I'm good for now. With proper calibration the effect becomes less pronounced too. Using 2 monitors side by side is the best day to get the perfect color temperature.
 
Sorry - just posted to the 24" NEC thread before noticing this. I emailed someone at the company to find out about the coating. I am either going with this or the Dell 23" ultrashiny one with the dreaded 1080p resolution.

The U2413 sounds promising, if the coating is light, but it's a lot more money, at least right now.
 
Back
Top