Any SCSI guru's here?

metaliman

n00b
Or anyone that can help.

I have slowly pieced together a SCSI setup, more to learn with than anything else, but all I've learned so far is that I'm not smart enough to make it work :D

I have an Adaptec 29160N adapter, a 4 connector ribbon cable with terminator, and Fujitsu 15k 36GB drive. The drive is the 80 pin SCA style, so I'm using an adapter to go from the 68 pin style cable to the drive. I've tried various SCSI ID's by using the jumpers on the adapter. The drive spins up but is not detected by the adapter at all. I'm at a loss as to what to do now. If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried setting the HDD to "autoID" or similar and have the controller automatically assign IDs? I recall that my old, old old 2940UW did that already. I had never tried that with 80 pin drives, since I never had any.

get a manual for the drive from the website and make sure you set the jumpers right on the drive itself.

Is your SCSI cable rated for U160 LVD? Does your adapter card have one or two 68-pin connectors? Check the SCSI card BIOS to make sure the internal terminator isn't on for the channel you want to use.

the snake said:
get a manual for the drive from the website and make sure you set the jumpers right on the drive itself.
+1

the snake said:

Definitely - although on SCA drives they are usually extremely tiny micro jumpers. In this situation I once ran into the same thing. Only thing that worked for me was putting a jumper on the autostart enable. For some reason the SCA drive I had would not start up on it's own using a 68 pin adapter. Long time ago though and I don't remember what brand or model drive it was though.

I've been playing around with 80 -> 68 pin drives, adapters, and so on since August or so, and here's what I've learned.

1) If the drive spins down when it's not supposed to, it's probably a sign of not enough power getting to the drive. Try a different adapter, or see if you can find a backplane that has three 80 pin connectors, two 68 pin connectors, and two molex connectors. Two molex connectors are really necessary with 2 or 3 15K drives.

2) Try to connect the drive as close to the SCSI adapter as possible.

3) Double check to see if the cable is terminated properly.

drizzt81 said:
Have you tried setting the HDD to "autoID" or similar and have the controller automatically assign IDs? I recall that my old, old old 2940UW did that already. I had never tried that with 80 pin drives, since I never had any.

Tried about everything in the adapter BIOS I could find. Still had no luck.

To those that suggested jumpers there weren't any jumpers on the drive

Phoenix '97 said:
I've been playing around with 80 -> 68 pin drives, adapters, and so on since August or so, and here's what I've learned.

1) If the drive spins down when it's not supposed to, it's probably a sign of not enough power getting to the drive. Try a different adapter, or see if you can find a backplane that has three 80 pin connectors, two 68 pin connectors, and two molex connectors. Two molex connectors are really necessary with 2 or 3 15K drives.

2) Try to connect the drive as close to the SCSI adapter as possible.

3) Double check to see if the cable is terminated properly.

I'm not real sure about it spinning down when it's supposed to, nor am I entirely sure about termination. There is what I believe to be a passive terminator near the last connector on the cable. I did order a new adapter and cable and will give those a try as soon as I get them.

The funny (not really) part of this all. I asked my wife to bring the drive downstairs earlier today. She brought it down to me, and when she got about four feet away from me, she tossed the drive on the concrete floor beside me :eek: It hit the ground pretty hard. Not sure if it'll be any good now anyway. Heh. The way it goes I guess.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

the jumpers i was refering to are on the bottom side of the drive, they are very tiny too.

too bad about the drive hitting the floor, that can't be good for it now can it :(

You must use Active Terminator at the end of the last cable connector.

Set your scsi ID to 1, that's the first pair of pin on a std. fujitsu hard drive, opposite to the other side, in which that first pair of pin is also enable (it's terminator power enable)

Your adaptor card ID is usually 7. If this is NOT a boot up drive, then the SCSI ID cannot be 0. If it is a boto up drive, then set your SCSI ID to 0, i.e., remove all jumper.

Fujitsu SCSI hard drive has 5 yr. warranty, if you dropped it, email fujitsu for RMA if it's under warranty

To confirm whether the drive works, upon machine boot up, press CTRL-A. Then select the drive, then select Verify Media.

Back