• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Any reccomendations for me?

dwayne001

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 9, 2003
Messages
468
I need two new SATA drives for my main rig. I'd like to have something speedy but quiet on the order of 160 to 200gb each. Price is a consideration, but at these sizes i'm not too worried, i have most of my stuff backed up to dvd, and the live versions of that sit on my slow ass library computer. These drives are for playspace, the kind of drives that get fragmented like crazy cause i'm working with video or because people are abusing my bandwidth via IM transfers.

I'm thinking raid 1.....
 
I'm fond of the Seagate 7200.7 SATA drives, they're very quiet and have pretty nice transfer rates. storagereview.com has benches and comparisons with others.
 
i have a maxtor 200gb sata. the seek times are kinda loud, but thats because my pc is dead silent.. before i silenced it i couldnt hear it at all over the fans, and it doesnt give off a whine at all. so if you want dead silent, its seek times are a little loud, but other than that its a GREAT drive
 
Can you wait maybe 2 months? I'd go for Seagate 7200.8s that are supposed to be out soon. If not, then I'd go for 7200.7s.
 
I've got a pair of the 200GB Diamond Max drives. The 200's the speed is pretty decent for the price ($114 w/free 2nd day on zipzoomfly.com (make sure you click through the front page)). There's also a review from 9/03 by Dave Graham that I found usefull here: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTIy

I would agree that they can be a little bit on the noisy side, much more than other recent Maxtor drives I've had, but it's not that bad. Good Luck.

Oldie
 
Back
Top