Any reason to upgrade my gaming pc to Win8?

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
I only use my pc for gaming now, everything else online I use either Android or Mac at this point. I tried Win8 for two months and couldn't stand it, but if I need it for DX12 I may as well upgrade now, I just don't know if they will make DX12 available for Win7 (then again, does anybody know this?).

Other than possibly for future DX versions, is there any reason to game on Win8 instead of Win7?

DX12 probably won't appear until the next Windows (Windows 9 or whatever they decide to call it). It will almost definitely not appear on Windows 8, and if it does appear exclusively on Windows 8, you can almost definitely expect it to be hacked to work on Windows 7 and Vista, since all three share the same code base.

DX12 probably won't appear until the next Windows (Windows 9 or whatever they decide to call it). It will almost definitely not appear on Windows 8, and if it does appear exclusively on Windows 8, you can almost definitely expect it to be hacked to work on Windows 7 and Vista, since all three share the same code base.

If that's the case, and we are probably looking at 2015 at the earliest for DX12 then that is great. This way I can stick with Win7 and still be on the latest DX version. I just didn't want to see DX12 come out next year, Win7 not get it and I would be forced to upgrade then at a much higher price (since I can upgrade for the next two months for only $40).

If any game company makes DX11.1 only games, they'd lose a huge market. 11.1 doesn't add much, anyway.

If you don't like Win8, don't upgrade. You won't notice anything when it comes to gaming. DX12 shouldn't be out before Win9, anyway. Then, you can upgrade to the newest OS while skipping 8. No reason to upgrade if you don't have to. For gaming, there is no real reason to go Windows 8 right now.

Everyone keeps clamoring how it uses less overhead and is more efficient at managing your resources though right? Seems like it might be a winner for someone who was maxing out their components when they game vs someone who had 9000 jiggawats to spare since they have 5k invested in their rig.

I have a friend with a crap system who struggles to get 20fps in Planetside 2, were going to give it a try this weekend to see if he can squeak any more performance out of 8, hes due for a re-install anyway after running 7 since release. If anything the faster boot times will be nice.

As long as boot to desktop and start menu hacks are never patched out there's not much gamers have to lose unless you happen to be physically attached to one of the few functions no longer possible in 8.

Back