Any reason to get a 1080p?

Garric

Limp Gawd
I'm in the market for a decently priced LCD HDTV... from 37-42 inches as my PC monitor.
I was looking to get 1080p but now I am hearing that there's no need to get the 1080p. What should I get guys? And does an HDTV work well with a pc monitor?

1080p isn't absolutely necessary, as you'll still be getting a crisp image with 720p. The difference at 42" won't be severe.

However, I will tell you that if I were you, I'd go for the 1080p, financial situation permitting. It's going to age better, especially when Bluray really takes over the market. 1080p will also become the future for lot of gaming, especially next generation (after the 360, PS3). Currently, of the three consoles, only the PS3 can do 1080p gameplay (although a lot of games on it don't do it well or at all). HDTV won't be going 1080p for awhile I don't think, so you don't need to worry about that.

I bought a 720p LCD TV last year and I now wish I had gone with a 1080p set.

Just my two cents.

Planning on watching blu-ray movies on it? Connecting a ps3 or 360? There are many reasons to go 1080p, however those might not pertain to you. What is your budget and what are your intended uses?

I can't think of any reason to get a 720p 42" when 1080p sets are just a few hundred more (or less).

If you're using it as your PC monitor too, go for 1080p. 720p is far too few pixels to use as a monitor - it's less than even the smallest pc monitors today have. You'll go crazy trying to fit all your windows into 720p.

go 1080p, absolutely no reason not to. Almost everything, besides cabl/sat HD channels supports 1080p resolutions now.

Yes 1080p is what you need for pc use.
On a side note,
I keep hearing these commercials about a new HDTV service being offered by either Directv or Dish, I can't remember, but it is all in 1080p. I believe it is called turbo HD?

Keep in mind that 1080p is a resolution of 1920*1080.

A PC monitor of 30 inches usually comes with a resolution of 2680*1600, or something ridiculously high like that.

What you're looking for is a monitor that's 12 inches bigger, yet you want to run at 720p (1280*720), which is practically 1/4 the resolution of a 30inch PC monitor.

If you plan on viewing any text at a farily close range, you'll definitely want 1080p. If you're using a wireless keyboard/mouse and you're on a distant couch, you may be able to get away with 720p, but chances are that you'll find the lack of desktop space very annoying.

I'm using a 32" Toshiba Regza 32RV530U. It is 1080p and just amazing. I also have a 42" Olevia and the Regza just blows it out of the water. It is just amazing, great blacks, great colors, awesome looking bezel. It is great with games, movies, tv, and pc. Just make sure that you are going to use DVI with a DVI to HDMI adaptor because the highest rez you can use with vga is 1280x1024.

Back