Any reason not to get P67 Motherboard?

Howie

Limp Gawd
I'm building a budget gaming build for my gf and I was thinking of going with the i3 if i was going Intel. With the ASRock P67 being compatible with 1156 chips, is there any reason not to get the ASRock P67 motherboard?

Dealing with ASRock support is like pulling teeth... or so I've heard: theres a reason their stuff is so cheap.

I'm generally more worried about reliability than tech support since I don't know if there's any motherboard manufacturer that actually has good support.

I'm generally more worried about reliability than tech support since I don't know if there's any motherboard manufacturer that actually has good support.

I dont mean support, I mean RMA: when you get a bum board, Asus, MSI, and gigabyte will all reluctantly take it back. AsRock, not so much.

I personally have had no real problem dealing with asrock rma's..ive had 2 in the last 4 years that i rma'ed ..in my experience they were on par with asus and gigabyte and even msi that had only one rma ...it took most of 2-3 weeks to get a board back from any of these manufacturers...
if your main concern is customer service then id go evga as they are golden to deal with..usa support,english speaking and they have a very good product..i always call for rma and almost never do it through email and if phone support says leave a message and we will call back, well forget that...just call back till you get a live body on the phone....

I dont mean support, I mean RMA: when you get a bum board, Asus, MSI, and gigabyte will all reluctantly take it back. AsRock, not so much.

Another thing is it looks like asrock has only 1 year of warranty while asus and others have 3 years. When my asus board went bad after 2 years they even covered the shipping both ways.

Another thing is it looks like asrock has only 1 year of warranty while asus and others have 3 years. When my asus board went bad after 2 years they even covered the shipping both ways.

Asus has to have a 3 year warranty because it can almost take them that long to get you a working board once you RMA it :D

The ASRock P67 Transformer is the first P67 motherboard supporting Intel® Lynnfield Core™ i7 / i5 Processors in LGA1156 package in the world.

* Due to chipset limitation, the ASRock P67 Transformer does not support Intel® Clarkdale processor in LGA 1156 package.

So, does it support 1155 too or just a fraction of the 1156 cpus?

As someone has pointed out it only supports "lynfield" (i5 and i7 quad core) CPUs. Afaict all i3 CPUs are clarkdale so you can't use them in it and it doesn't appear you can use sandy bridge chips in it either.

It might be useful down the road for people who want to keep their CPU while enjoying the advantages of the new PCH (afaict P67/H67 finally have proper pcie 2.0 on the PCH) but seems mostly pointless IMO.

Why go and buy a new MB just so you can carry a 1156 CPU over that's pretty much EOL? If you're going to rip and replace the spine of a computer, replace it with a brain otherwise it's just a waste of time and energy IMO. You mentioned "budget gaming" - I'm sure there will be some deals on P55 boards as people try to offload them with Sandy Bridge out now.

Back