Any reason not to do this?

haste

Supreme [H]ardness
I have access to a good amount of 99% IPA. Would it be worth it to soak the internals of my radiators with IPA during flushing/cleaning process?

I use ipa after I rinse with vinegar and water to help evaporate the left over water and make sure there is no residue left. It wont hurt anything as far as I know.

"worth it" is debatable, but you wont hurt anything by doing this. flush it out with water before filling your loop though, you dont want IPA in your water for long periods of time if you have a plexiglass resevoir or other parts.

I use ipa after I rinse with vinegar and water to help evaporate the left over water and make sure there is no residue left. It wont hurt anything as far as I know.

sounds look a good plan. i hadn't thought about doing it at the end of the process!

"worth it" is debatable, but you wont hurt anything by doing this. flush it out with water before filling your loop though, you dont want IPA in your water for long periods of time if you have a plexiglass resevoir or other parts.

well, IPA does evaporate fairly quickly so i don't think ill have to worry about rinsing the radiator after soaking/flushing with IPA. ill just let the rads sit for a few hours on my oven while baking cookies and that should help it all evaporate. :p

What is IPA?

I'm guessing isopropyl alcohol

yup!

well, IPA does evaporate fairly quickly so i don't think ill have to worry about rinsing the radiator after soaking/flushing with IPA. ill just let the rads sit for a few hours on my oven while baking cookies and that should help it all evaporate. :p

i think you are overestimating how well it would evaporate from the insides of a narrow, long, enclosed space with only two 1/2" vent holes. its up to you though.

i think you are overestimating how well it would evaporate from the insides of a narrow, long, enclosed space with only two 1/2" vent holes. its up to you though.

thanks for the concern but i think it will be ok, especially since i'll be using 99.953% IPA.

http://www.dow.com/productsafety/finder/iso.htm

IPA produced by Dow is commonly used in nitrocellulose-based lacquers and thinners for wood finishing, in adhesives, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and toiletries, disinfectants, rubbing compounds, and lithography. It is also used as an ingredient in cleaners and polishers, as a chemical intermediate, and as a dehydrating agent and extractant.

Dehydrating agent: A substance that is capable of removing water from a material or drying a material.

I think OP should soak it in real IPA.

:D

haha, beer? lol...

i did figure out an awesome way to dry out radiators after flushing them. the vacuum!

it only took me about 10 minutes to dry the suckers with the vacuum cleaner. suction nozzle on one side(not sealed, just held with my hand) and i could literally feel the radiator get colder as the air got sucked through.

Back