Any programs let u move from Windows XP to 7?

Handbrake

Limp Gawd
Are there any programs that let's you moving everything from Windows XP to Windows 7 without having to reinstall all of my data and programs?

there is no direct migration path from XP to 7.
The Transfer Wizard works very well though.

Another option is to upgrade XP to Vista, and upgrade Vista to 7, but that's a little risky and a lot sloppy.

You shouldn't need a program to do something that you should, and would be much better off doing yourself. I don't want a program to decide what's important to me and what's not. People also make a fresh install process out to be a much bigger deal and hassle than it really is. If you want a new OS, back your data up, and do a clean install, with updated versions of your apps installed as well. Then put your data files back, and enjoy the new OS, knowing you gave Windows 7 its best start possible.

You shouldn't need a program to do something that you should, and would be much better off doing yourself. I don't want a program to decide what's important to me and what's not. People also make a fresh install process out to be a much bigger deal and hassle than it really is. If you want a new OS, back your data up, and do a clean install, with updated versions of your apps installed as well. Then put your data files back, and enjoy the new OS, knowing you gave Windows 7 its best start possible.

This ^^^

However, if that's not an option...

You could look into Windows Easy Transfer. I've been playing with it a little bit at work as we have a very small amount of users who aren't going to take migrating to Windows 7 very well especially if they lose their personal preferences, desktop icon placement and stuff like that. Easy Transfer is actually pretty slick. I'm still testing with it but it may fit your needs.

If you have to do this in a production environment where you have over 200 workstations to upgrade that's time consuming..

Are there any programs that let's you moving everything from Windows XP to Windows 7 without having to reinstall all of my data and programs?
I wouldn't do that even if there were.

Absolutely nothing beats a fresh, clean install with no middle-ware getting in the way.
If you have to do this in a production environment where you have over 200 workstations to upgrade that's time consuming..
That's why it's even more important to do it the right way. There's way to much risk involved with stuff not working that could leave you for months troubleshooting.

Build one install on each like machine with your volume license. Than just image the machines and import backup data.

I have to do around 700 computers this summer that way.

As bigdog mentioned, that's why you do it in a controlled manner to ensure you won't be increasing your administration overhead because of poorly migrated settings and such.

Wrong, Windows Easy Transfer lets you decide what you want transfered
and puts it into a zip like file.

I've used it several times, and its very good and easy to use.

You do the grunt work, i prefer the easy way.

A simple thing to do is to simply store you're data on a separate drive and use the cloud to your advantage. Installing apps fresh is a good time to clean out the garage so to speak. Get upgrades, ditch apps for better ones perhaps, that sort of thing.

Upgrading an OS is an opportunity to do general maintenance and house cleaning that one wouldn't normally do, that's all.

Going to chime in here, a lot of business (including our selfs) are/will be using USMT4 to transfer users documents and settings from one OS to the other. If you enviorment ad-hears to some sort of standard this tool is amazing, but it does take a good deal of planning. So far our test cases and pilots have gone 100% according to plan. People come back to work and bam their icons, desktop, etc are just how they left them. but their OS is now totally different. All 100% hands free, (it just took weeks to setup lol).

I've used it several times, and its very good and easy to use. You do the grunt work, i prefer the easy way.
It has failed several times for me on relatives computers, causing me to spend more time than if I had just done it right the first time. It also doesn't guarantee anything, nor does it update any apps, programs, or verify any compatibilities issues. It also doesn't provide upgraded drivers. Calling it the easier way, just tells me you aren't very organized in your approach to a clean install. I'd prefer to label them the lazy, unreliable way, or the proper, sure-fire way.
See above. With Windows 7, I can do a clean install in the same amount of time as your "easier" method, with less issues, and be left with a clean, updated system.
That's why you have data stored on servers using Exchange and Home directories, and you roll out images to such machines. I'm not sure why you'd bring this up in this discussion. Why would anyone do a manual process for 200 systems?

Back