any problems running an E6600 stock with passive HS?

saan44

Gawd
Just curious if anyone has tried running an E6600 stock with a scythe ninja (or similar) without a HSF? I'm assuming it will work given proper cooling in the case coupled with the lower power consumption of the conroe cpus, but I'd like to know for sure. Any help is appreciated.

Should work fine without a doubt. You can probably undervolt the E6600 a little as well to help with temperatures, though this wouldn't even be necessary. I think one of the XtremeSystems forum guys did this way back when with one of the engineering samples.

Schythe Ninja or Infinity would be good choice, and you'd obviously need a decent airflow pattern in your case. I was thinking about this, but I want to overclock to 3.2-ish GHz so I'll probably get an Ultra-120 and put a slow slow 120mm fan on it. Still silent but allows a little overclocking.

Yeah, that's more or less what I thought, but I figured it couldn't hurt to be sure. Do you by any chance have a link to the XtremeSystems thread? I can probably dig up by myself, but it'd be easier if you did the dirty work for me. :p

As far as the case goes, it'll be in a Lian Li pc-7b plus II so dual 120mm fans (one intake one exhaust) and possibly the 80mm as well though I'd want to do some testing to make sure it doesn't co-opt airflow.

Basically, I'd like a powerful PC without having to deal with much noise from fans. I'm planning on replacing the stock 120mm fans on that case with Yate Loons and I'll probably end up with a zalman gpu cooler as well to keep everything down. My current rig works well, but I didn't do the proper research I should've so it's a bit noisy. I'm hoping to correct that with this latest build.

That got a little longwinded, but thanks for the reply.

I am not 100% sure, but the new Mac Pros use Woodcrest chips (the Xeon version of the Core 2 Duo) and I am pretty sure they are running passive heatsinks that look a lot like the Ninja.

I'm interested in this as well. I'll be using a Ninja (hopefully w/o the fan) on my E6600.

As for the case, I'm getting a Antec P150... good airflow and sound dampening. This should be a quiet little rig. The GPU cooler is the only thing that'll be making any noise, and if that gets to be too much, I'll just replace the stock with a Zalman.

WATYF

another p150 e6600 combo?

I have the same thing on order but didnt buy a cooler yet.

What mobo did you choose? If it is an asus p5w dh you will findthat the ninja is so big, that you can't fit that optional chipset fan thingy that comes with the board on it, and they suggest you use that optional fan if you have a passive cooler because the stock one blows air right on that heat pipe.

I was looking for an aftermarket hsf that blows air downward towards the chipset like the stock cooler so I could prevent this problem, I worry that a ninja would make the chipset too hot because of the leck of air blowing at the heatpipe thingy on the motherboard.

But I wont know until the parts actually arrive how hot the thing gets and how much space I will have for a cooler. There will be only 2 fans (I have a passive video card), either in/out for the case, or cpu cooler and case exhaust. I imagine w case fans would be less noisy, then I could use a ninja, but first I need to be sure that is enough air to keep the chipset cool, the fact that asus includes that extra fan just for people who use passive coolers makes me worry.

saan44 said:
Yeah, that's more or less what I thought, but I figured it couldn't hurt to be sure. Do you by any chance have a link to the XtremeSystems thread? I can probably dig up by myself, but it'd be easier if you did the dirty work for me. :p

As far as the case goes, it'll be in a Lian Li pc-7b plus II so dual 120mm fans (one intake one exhaust) and possibly the 80mm as well though I'd want to do some testing to make sure it doesn't co-opt airflow.

Basically, I'd like a powerful PC without having to deal with much noise from fans. I'm planning on replacing the stock 120mm fans on that case with Yate Loons and I'll probably end up with a zalman gpu cooler as well to keep everything down. My current rig works well, but I didn't do the proper research I should've so it's a bit noisy. I'm hoping to correct that with this latest build.

That got a little longwinded, but thanks for the reply.

I can't seem to find it, I think it was Coolaler or one of the other usual suspects with an early sample, back in like May or June. You really don't need to find someone running an E6600, just find someone running an X2 3800+ or so with a ninja passively since they're similar in TDP.

Personally I would just try it - worst case you put a 120mm fan and run it at 7V - it will be inaudible. Check out www.silentpcreview.com forums and reviews and compare. Here's one link:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article251-page4.html

Didn't work real well passively here, but read their explanation for why (bad orientation), and also note 2.8 P4 is a hotter chip.

See the final page, where they did try fanless (later) in a P180 - results were fine with a much hotter CPU.

Also look at the 7V fan noise levels - you probably wouldn't be able to hear that outside the case unless you put your ear on the case. Might be worth it to put a fan on it just to keep it even cooler.

Still - passively, It will work fine if you have good case airflow.

UnWorldly said:
another p150 e6600 combo?

I have the same thing on order but didnt buy a cooler yet.

What mobo did you choose? If it is an asus p5w dh you will findthat the ninja is so big, that you can't fit that optional chipset fan thingy that comes with the board on it, and they suggest you use that optional fan if you have a passive cooler because the stock one blows air right on that heat pipe.

I was looking for an aftermarket hsf that blows air downward towards the chipset like the stock cooler so I could prevent this problem, I worry that a ninja would make the chipset too hot because of the leck of air blowing at the heatpipe thingy on the motherboard.

But I wont know until the parts actually arrive how hot the thing gets and how much space I will have for a cooler. There will be only 2 fans (I have a passive video card), either in/out for the case, or cpu cooler and case exhaust. I imagine w case fans would be less noisy, then I could use a ninja, but first I need to be sure that is enough air to keep the chipset cool, the fact that asus includes that extra fan just for people who use passive coolers makes me worry.
I went with the P5B. I was concerned about having enough space for the Ninja if I went with the P5W DH (considering the heat pipes/sinks all over the place around the socket). That, and the fact that it costs $100 more than the P5B, for a bunch of features that I don't want/need.

WATYF

Back