• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any potential negative side?

Miller

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
207
Well, everything is now working properly with my new Zalman 7700Cu heatsink. Given that the fan uses a 3-pronged connector (which, as expected, doesn't fit into the 4-pronged heatsink 'outlet' on my Abit AS8), I've taken to plugging it in using an "extension" cable of sorts (one that I used for a regular case fan; connects to a molex connector, I'm hoping that I'm making sense :p). My question is, are there any possible negatives to doing so? I'm thinking along the lines of not enough power getting to the fan, or something like that. So far the only thing I've noticed is that Everest (or anything else, for that matter) doesn't read the CPU heatsink RPM, but I expected that anyway.

Any insight would be great. Thank you.
 
Well the only downside is you cant see the RPM. Plus you lose features like 'Shutdown on CPU fan fail' which shut your system down if it reads the rpm at 0 (which yours will always be, so you cant use it). But as long as you set a shutdown temp its not an issue anyway. But no, power wont be an issue at all using the fan that way.
 
Just to support the previous poster, I've run 3 fans this way for about a year, no problems at all.
 
Thanks guys. One last question: I messed around with the uGuru utility for my Abit AS8 board, and made sure to uncheck beeping alarms for both the CPU fan RPM and the NB RPM. I'm curious, though: does this change these settings in the BIOS as well (I'm assuming so, but then again, I don't know very much about BIOS), or will I have to endure 30 seconds of beeping until Windows loads and the uGuru utility launches?

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top