Any possible reason for 8GB?

conscript

2[H]4U
Just wondering, with memory on the cheap side and me just looking to waste money. My computer basically is used for the following:

Games
MS Office
Windows movie maker
Photoshop CS

Pretty sure the answer is no, and I'd probably be looking for trouble with my current and furute mobos...but thought I'd throw it out there.

yeah, i'm still fine with 1gb in my main rig doing that stuff, sans movie maker. i still see 4gb as a waste for most things. 8 is just insanely pointless

I agree. Most boards won't run 8gb very well if at all and you need a 64 bit OS to address above about 3gb or so anyway.

Servers
Working with large files
Virtualization
Large e-peen

Off the top of my head, that's about it. Probably more in there somewhere. For the average user, no reason.

It's cheap, and virtual machines are a good way to learn and test.

That's the only reason I use lots of RAM. With how prices are now, I'm bumping my server to 8GB so I can disable swapping to pagefile in VMWare.

I found that putting another GB of RAM in my Vista gaming machine (2GB->3GB) smoothed out alt-tabs for some games that will actually allocate around or slightly above 2GB of RAM such as Company of Heroes. It was well worth the drop from 1T to 2T.

Are there any games that actually allocate over 3GB and would need 4GB to have smooth alt-tabs in and out of?

8 GB memory needs? I would think only servers would benefit from it right now. Who knows what the future would bring! (Perhaps Microsoft Mega-Windows 2010). :eek::D

I went from 4 to 8 GB, and my system performs much better overall. I can run a dedicated CS:S and WiC server, play any game I want and host a Ventrilo server all at the same time.

Given, if you're a unitasker, 4 GB is probably the most you would want, 2 GB would be fine, but, if you start doing true multitasking, 8 GB is quite the nicety.

definitely you can run a lot more things than you usually do with just 1gig. also you can do things like converting a video and also photoshop at the same time but if you notice the lag then its because of your graphics also. something you would also have to equal out with all that ram your using.

the more the better is how it goes. i wouldn't sped too much on it thought because those prices drop down quick and things get pushed out more and tend to start getting obsolete in the price range and use :/

Back