Any point in going from turion -> turion ultra?

tacosareveryyummy

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay so I am currently running a turion X2 TL-59 clocked at 1.9 ghz. Would it be beneficial in terms of gaming performance to upgrade to one of the turion ultra chips? I haven't heard much about them and dont know if there are any benchmarks out.

Puma Platform.

No, As far as the CPU goes I wouldn't.

Depending upon the system in question it may not even support it.

Turion Ultra is (one of, specifically the ZM model) the newer AM2+ CPUs in the Puma platform laptops. It has 2MB L2 (1MB x 2) cache vs 1MB (512KB x 2) in the older (full) Turion CPUs. TDP is the same or higher, and AM2+ doesn't really help performance over the older AM2 in single socket systems. And a laptop isn't going to be running DDR2-1066 memory. :p

Turion Ultra is still a K8 core and the power savings AM2+ (allegedly) gives doesn't seem to have decreased power consumption at all. The battery life in previews was pretty bad.

Since the ZM models start run at 2.1GHz-2.4GHz, it would be at least a 10% clock speed boost coming from 1.9GHz. Maybe in a while longer when those laptops have faster video card support it may have a more compelling reason to consider. Right now if you look around for a sale laptop, you can get QL-60 (1.9GHz, 2x512KB L2, 35W)/780V laptops as low as $400.

out of curiosity, what laptop do you have that allows upgrading of cpus? most laptops i've seen have them soldered in. and the only place i even know of swapping mobile cpus is in a mac mini, but those are intel based.

The vast, vast majority of consumer laptops have user-replaceable CPUs. It's far more cost-effective than soldering because they can reuse the same motherboards for every model instead of having to produce a different board for each model of CPU they want to use.

The vast, vast majority of consumer laptops have user-replaceable CPUs. It's far more cost-effective than soldering because they can reuse the same motherboards for every model instead of having to produce a different board for each model of CPU they want to use.

It's usually just a matter of getting the laptop apart... depending on the design.

I know my Compaq (sig) has to have the entire bottom off to do that.

It's usually just a matter of getting the laptop apart... depending on the design.

Yeah, mine as well. Most consumer laptops are like that because it's more expensive to make a removable CPU cover, and it's not a component that's often upgraded.

Also, those bastards sometimes solder the CPU onto the motherboard. If you did want to upgrade your CPU I'd check to make sure that's not the case.

so why r we talking am2 and am2+ up above? :confused:

pxc was incorrectly referring to the older revision of Turion as AM2 and Turion Ultra as AM2+ in order to differentiate them. His use of the terms weren't really accurate. In reality, there are no major architectural differences between Turion and Turion Ultra. There's some extra power-saving stuff built into the CPU, and certain models have more cache, but that's all. The real difference is the 780G chipset, which has excellent integrated graphics and supports hybrid Crossfire.

Back