Any plans for a forum software upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
I know Vbull is a bag of shit, another forum I post on swapped from VBull to Xenforo, a much more modern platform. It even has ability to transfer in an existing Vbull forum so no content is lost.

Plus it allows for things like @ mentions, notifications of replies to your posts, and has a pretty good mobile web interface.

If they have this forum dialed in to do what they want it to do, why would they change?

It's a freaking web forum.

Again, why jack around a platform that's working and PAID FOR for an infinitesimally small and highly subjective "improvement" that might only be used by a tiny fraction of the userbase?

Remember, [H] is a business.

No. Trust me. If I don't get my caffeine, things get UGLY.

As in slasher-flick-abbatoir ugly.

You REALLY don't want that.

Especially in a simple, civil discussion like this.

I would happily paypal Kyle $50 right now for @ mentions, truly invisible ignores lists and minimal forum based pict uploads.

Keep vBulletin. Other software is pretty much corporate overdesigned shit that tries too hard to be like Facebook.

The software is 11 years old. I can't believe you guys are defending it. It's missing modern features, like the great notification system and mobile support (honestly the mobile site on this forum just sucks) of XenForo, the modern look of really any recent BB system, etc. It's time for a change.

At some point this version of Vbulletin will roll off of support from them.

That's likely when you would see some kind of change.

Am I reading this correctly? [H] users are poo-pooing on incremental upgrades, let alone major upgrades?

The mind boggles.

Forums themselves here work well, couple things could use some updating though...

truly invisible ignores lists

+1 this, a lot!

And bringing back the black background on mobile devices, or at least the choice.

To paraphrase Murphy's Law.....the more one tries to improve a situation, the better the change you have to screw it up even more.

Loosely translated: If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. :cool:

Am I reading this correctly? [H] users are poo-pooing on incremental upgrades, let alone major upgrades?

The mind boggles.

There is no upgrade. New software is overdesigned junk that adds features that are not needed or wanted. Keep it simple and lightweight. A forum is not a social network and should not attempt to function like one.

Hell, even the current version of vBulletin, with groups and friends lists and other dumb shit like that is trying to do too much.

There is no upgrade. New software is overdesigned junk that adds features that are not needed or wanted. Keep it simple and lightweight. A forum is not a social network and should not attempt to function like one.

Hell, even the current version of vBulletin, with groups and friends lists and other dumb shit like that is trying to do too much.

This is complete BS. I have tested extensively many different forum software, both new and old, and I can tell you this: While newer software can add unnecessary features, it is almost always an upgrade. For example, going from this to XenForo would add: A great notification system, a much better mobile site, and a large visual upgrade, among other things (of which there are many).

I realize you many of you guys are a bunch of old, opionated farts but let go. This software is ancient.

This is complete BS. I have tested extensively many different forum software, both new and old, and I can tell you this: While newer software can add unnecessary features, it is almost always an upgrade. For example, going from this to XenForo would add: A great notification system, a much better mobile site, and a large visual upgrade, among other things (of which there are many).

I realize you many of you guys are a bunch of old, opionated farts but let go. This software is ancient.

Yes, and every single one of those things is both unneeded and detrimental - with the sole possible exception of a mobile site - a very lightweight upgrade.

Just about the only reason to update would be to move to a platform that is created with more modern development tools (i.e. written in Scala instead of Java, modern database backend, and other such choices) that encourage a faster experience with fewer bugs. Instead, newer software adds unneeded features such as notifications - this is not a social network - and only serves to make the backend more complex and therefore slower, less reliable, and less secure.

Better notifications and mentions are useful, and I miss them here versus other forums.

I don't understand the "not a social network" thing. It's a discussion site. These things enhance discussions and the ability to participate in them.

I dont see the problem with the current software. Its always nice to come here after the eye rape that is some of the forums running on XF and others.

"But but vBulletin doesn't have share-to-Facebook buttons or support for embedded <cool new video sharing site that the tweens are using this week> links". WGAF.

vBulletin is like the Windows 7 start menu. Its reliable. It works.

Now, if the owners found there to be a technical or architectural limitation in VB, like the database no longer being able to support the user count or something, that's different. But for aesthetics? You're not suddenly going to grow the userbase in any meaningful way just because you change to XF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back