Any pic hosting place that'll host a 1,139KB [H] wallpaper???

Hey there...I just made an [H] wallpaper...I think it's pretty damn good considering I still consider myself new to Photoshop (I use CS) and this is my 2nd photoshop "job" (first was the Lohan thread in the Photochop area)...anyone know a website that'll host it for free that won't resize it??? it's 1024x768...THANX
C'YA

Hmm....What format are you using. By the looks of it you're using BMP. Jpg at 100% quality should be just as good and keep the file under 500Kb. Then you can upload it to http://imageshack.us .

t0x1k said:
Hmm....What format are you using. By the looks of it you're using BMP. Jpg at 100% quality should be just as good and keep the file under 500Kb. Then you can upload it to http://imageshack.us .
It's a jpeg...why is it so big??? It doesn't save layers or anything...just saves it as a flat image...right??? It's 72 ppi...weird

I can host it for you if you like, I can also see about getting the filesize down.

My site can do any size images...just restricts per account, heh. www.imagelink.org use promo code 'hardness' to get a slightly upgraded account when signing up. It only takes about 8 seconds to sign up.

TSx said:
My site can do any size images...just restricts per account, heh. www.imagelink.org use promo code 'hardness' to get a slightly upgraded account when signing up. It only takes about 8 seconds to sign up.
WOW!!! Thanx...I'll use this when Photobucket resizes my big stuff...now I have 2 pic hosts...I love PB and IL...they teh best...thanx for the [H] code too!!! I'll spread the word about your sweet image hosting since it's so cool!!! (Won't share the code tho...;)

Haha, glad you like it. I'm still working on it and adding features, so it's only going to get better. If you have any suggestions or feedback on it, don't hesitate to let me know.

i set up an uploader on my domain, ragingmegahuge.com, cause i wasn't using it for anything else. register, and then upload anything (not illegal, that is) up to 5 megs.

TSx said:
If you have any suggestions or feedback on it, don't hesitate to let me know.
There is ONE thing...Photobucket has 3 different links under each picture...I noticed that you had 1 or 2 (can't remember)...something you you can easily copy&paste the link to the website, forum, whatever...go register with Photobucket and you might get some ideas as to what kind of features to add to your site

We've got 3 currently and a 4th will be added soon. Right now you can copy the url of the page, of the image itself, or click a link to generate an email-to-friend page for that image. Print image is the 4th we're adding and will probably be in within a couple days pending other things.

I thought about putting code pre-wrapped in [ img ] tags but I didn't really figure that was necessary...same with < a > tags.

TSx said:
We've got 3 currently and a 4th will be added soon. Right now you can copy the url of the page, of the image itself, or click a link to generate an email-to-friend page for that image. Print image is the 4th we're adding and will probably be in within a couple days pending other things.
Huh??? :confused:

TSxI thought about putting code pre-wrapped in [ img said:
tags but I didn't really figure that was necessary...same with < a > tags.
That's what I was talkin' about...Photobucket has the thing, <???> thing (not sure what's inside the <>'s), and the html thing already in 3 text boxes ready to select amd copy&paste anywhere ya need it pasted...that's one ig thing I like about PB...

But the main reason I like PB is cause ya just have to donate a small amount of $$$ to get all restrictions lifted...he suggested something like $10-$15 I think...not many ppl donate to things like this so keepin it low might get more ppl to donate more often instead of "packages"...I'm thinking about setting aside $10 or $20 from babysitting to get my restrictions lifted...doesn't say how long it'll be lifted so I guess it's forever unless you use up insane amounts of his bandwidth and space...

Holy Crap!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: The pic didn't even survive one day...I just optimized it...you think you could reset it for a fellow [H]'er??? I just got it optimized and it's much smaller in size...I will most likely just have that one image since I primarily use PhotoBucket (cause it allows a lenient 100 megs of disk space and 2,500 megs of bandwidth)

Awwww crap...Photobucket is down...they're having probs...that sux...NOW what am I gonna use... :(

I reset your bandwidth...don't eat through it so fast this time -=oP I'm still working out how much bandwidth needs to be set at...as of now I'm still unsure what values to set.

TSx said:
I reset your bandwidth...don't eat through it so fast this time -=oP I'm still working out how much bandwidth needs to be set at...as of now I'm still unsure what values to set.
THANX!!! I'll only have that one pic unless someone else wants me to do a job for him/her...hopefully Photobucket will resolve their issues soon...maybe you could set your values at 100 megs of disk space and 2,500 megs of bandwidth like Photobucket...LOL... :p :rolleyes:

How long has your site been around??? How much total space do you got???

My site has only been live for a few months, and already it's used a lot of the space we get. As well as bandwidth. It wouldn't be as much of a problem but very, very few people are willing to pay anything so as of right now the site doesn't even break even. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it better in terms of pricing/storage/bandwidth, but that might take some time.

start making small plans, such as 5$, 10$ and 25$ a month for the UBER hosters....maybe? its what I would do

I have plans right now, $3/mo or $20/yr, $7/mo or $35/yr, etc. but most people really don't want to pay for image hosting, so I end up with a ton of free accounts, but no paid ones...so it eats away at the disk space/bandwidth but doesn't cover any costs.

I'm really not sure how to structure it better yet...it's a tough thing to figure out, heh.

why not just cap off your bandwidth/diskspace usage fairly low, like it is now i think from a quick glance, and then suggest to people that instead of a free account, they pay 10$ a month, and get say triple the disk space and bandwidth? or 20$ a month and get alot lot more?

Right now my plans are as follows:

Level 1
4mb Disk Space, 80mb/month bandwidth transfer
Free! (Default)

Level 2:
20mb Disk Space, 750mb/month bandwidth transfer
$3.00/month or $20.00/year! (that's $1.67 per month!)

Level 3:
60mb Disk Space, 2500mb/month bandwidth transfer
$7.00/month or $35.00/year! (that's $2.92 per month!)

Level 4:
400mb Disk Space, 6000mb/month bandwidth transfer
$10.00/month or $60.00/year! (that's $5.00 per month!)

I offer a few special accounts like the HardOCP one which gives 120mb default as opposed to 80 but on a high traffic forum like this, it eats right through that. For $3/mo or $20/yr, you get nearly 10 times the bandwidth and 5 times the disk space...honestly I don't think the prices are high at all, it's just that most people don't want to pay anything. I tried to make sure my site would offer things the others don't, and made it easier to use/navigate/look at than the rest as well, but even that isn't really enough for a lot of people.

yeah, I really like the layout and design of the site, but I think perhaps you jump a bit too much with the step from each plan to the next...

say only 50Mb of bandwidth for free acccount...then for the 3/month account, they get 200Mb a month, and 10 megs of disk space, and then level 3, they get 700Mb bandwidth, and 50 megs disk space...then level 4, fget say 2000Mb bandwidth, as well as 250 megs disk space

something like that....I think you could end up with a bit more paying users...keep the same sort of 'discount' if they pay yearly versus monthly, and such..

I would if people were even using the level 2 plan...which right now they're not, so it doesn't much matter yet. I'd gladly take some level 2 subscriptions at 3 or 20 and offer the higher amounts that I do. Of all the people that have come close to the cap (80 or even 120) or have hit the cap, not one has decided to upgrade.

hmmmmm

I think you just hvae to get the word out if your stuff is good quality uptime, fast bandwidth, etc etc....forums like this, and many otheres are great. Just have to get a few people in w/ you who use your image hosting, and that shows other people how awesome it is, and then they will want it too, and you can go w00t

I know that is kind of how it went with iupload.com over on the genmay.com forums...or at least thats how i think it went :p just went from telling people to come host images there, to a hot damn huge image hoster for them, and all sorts of shit now....you could be the [H] image hoster of choice!

The biggest problem about a high traffic forum (hardocp, fatwallet, genmay, etc.) is that limiting the bandwidth to a low amount makes people go somewhere else. Metallica's image like he said, was ~1.4mb I think and used up 120mb bandwidth in under one day. He resized it to ~400k and it's used like another 60mb already. That's only one image. For someone posting pics of hardware for sale, or cd's to show condition or something, there might often be anywhere from 2-10 ~200-400k pics which will burn right through a small amount of bandwidth. There are about two dozen hard forum users (at least ones using the promo code 'hardness' that I provided) and a few of them have already come very close to or already hit the cap in much under a month's time.

I'd like to offer more so they could use the full services of the site and not have to worry about caps, but in doing so I would then get even less people signing up because there would be less reason to, a they wouldn't ever hit the caps.

It's like 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...no real choice that works both ways; at least not one I have seen thus far.

yeah thats a tuff spot....gotta think of something creative to rope a dope users into upgrading thier accounts :p

No features really either. That's the main difference between my site and others. Plus they only support 4 file types and convert them all to jpg...we support like 16 types and don't convert anything automatically, that should be up to the user. We also don't put any 'branding' on images. Their major selling point is the fact that there's no limits...but they're also going solely off donations.

hey cmon now, dont flame the guys awesome site...help him get more clients who use the paying services!

I think I will start hosting my images from your imagelink account, and will get myself a paying account :)

Hey I just hope you like the site. We've tried to make it the best we can, but I'm always looking for more feedback and suggestions.

It's a much easier to use design and layout than some sites

I like the kind of modular design theme....i used it on my www.pyrospheric.net website as well

did you code that yourself? or is that some software or is it a hacked up version of some software? because it really is awesome

All coding/design is 100% original. Most of it was done by my partner, the rest by me. We've worked together for about 7 years now, heh. One of my goal for the site was to make it as easy to navigate and use as possible...and while I'm still tweaking stuff to make it easier and more straight forward, I'm pretty content with out it's turned out so far. I'm really pleased with the layout though.

You know what...I asked myself why I'm more tempted to give the Photobucket guy a little money rather then the Imagelink guy (you)...I think one reason might be cause Photobucket looks more "friendly" and less "businessy"...you get what I mean??? Cause I don't...but your website looks like a lot of other "business" sites out there...maybe it looks a bit too professional...that would make ppl think "Oh I don't wanna waste my money on this business when there are other free album pic hosting sites"....or something like that...i dunno

Maybe cause it's cause of the packages...I don't like packages...maybe you could set a price of $15-$30 every year or two or once and in return give the person no restrictions except to maybe insane file sizes or something...keep it nice and simple...

I wonder if the Photobucket guy is getting any donations...his website is nice and simple...I'll email him and see if he gets any donations...I gotta email him anyways cause now that it's back up all my pics are gone...my folders too...weird...

BTW...I'm not saying that I like PB better than yours when I said that I'd rather pay PB than you...but as of now it is logical that I donate ~$15-$20 rather than buy a package from you...but your still working out stuff and I've got other things to buy with my money right now so it'll be awhile before I donate some money to one of you guys...also I don't really need the lifter restrictions yet since I have no Photoshop projects that require large pics and files sizes...

Back