Any PCI-e XPC's coming in the near future?

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I am pretty sure I'm getting the XPC SN95G5 within the next week or two.

But, if there are any hints of a PCI-e shuttle coming out in the next 3-4 months, I think I would rather wait.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Yes, the recently announced Shuttle SN25P will be the nForce 939 Athlon 64 to come out with PCI-E. It also has no PCI and instead has a 4x PCI-E slot for future new soundcards and also a 24bit Envy built in soundcard. But good luck getting a high end PCI-E card for a decent price unless you wait for the next gen to launch.

SN25P

Thank you very much for the info!

I found this on Sudhian forums...

ethan said:
SN25P is black, light black

SN26 will use nForce4 SLI to support 2 VGA

Anyone know anything about that? Is it even true?

I also read in that thread that we should start seeing this availiable by late Feb/early March. Sound about right?

Thanks for the help.

bobsaget said:
Thank you very much for the info!

I found this on Sudhian forums...

Anyone know anything about that? Is it even true?

I also read in that thread that we should start seeing this availiable by late Feb/early March. Sound about right?

Thanks for the help.

They may be truth to it, but we will not know for sure until CeBit in June if it pans out, so don't hold you breath for the SLI version. The SN25P is realisticly gonna be available probably Late Feb/March at a REALLY high price.

IceWind said:
They may be truth to it, but we will not know for sure until CeBit in June if it pans out, so don't hold you breath for the SLI version. The SN25P is realisticly gonna be available probably Late Feb/March at a REALLY high price.
Yeah, it's looking like I will be getting the SN95G5... Those PCI-e cards just don't seem like they will be coming down anytime soon. :mad:

Oh well V2 of the SN95G5 is looking good.

Thanks for all the info. :)

bobsaget said:
Yeah, it's looking like I will be getting the SN95G5... Those PCI-e cards just don't seem like they will be coming down anytime soon. :mad:

Oh well V2 of the SN95G5 is looking good.

Thanks for all the info. :)

Yeah, it makes me angry they shove the PCI-E bullshit down our throats and yet can't make basic supply and demand with the product. Thanks Ati and nVidia!

Uh, I just bought an MSI 6600GT PCI-E for $184 and it comes with tons of free games. $184 is not very expensive for a good card. Also, Shuttle's SB83G5 supports PCI-E.

The Socket-T unit's have been out for some time- I'm waiting on the SN25P, because it is perfect. Really only waiting on Nvidia to replace the 6800GT, and Creative to make something PCIE. SATA optical drives would be nice, but hey...

The Shuttle ST20G5 has been announced (and apparently shown @ CES).
It's using the new ATI RS480 chipset, but unlike the the SN25P, it uses the better looking G5 case (whether it's in silver or black is yet unknown).

Currently the only PCI-E Shuttles are the SB81P and the SB95P

Remember: G chassis means 200-250watt PSU, while P chassis means 350watt- to me, this is a selling point as well.

G = 1x 5 1/4
P = 2x 5 1/4
G = 1 ICE fan + PSU fan(fans)
P = 3 bigger fans on back + 2 fans inside
P = taller and weights more :(

MD

Thanks for the summary, it will help some people in choosing. Funny that you put a :( after the Weighs More part of the P-chassis- this is a natural outcome from it's other positive notes over the G chassis. I guess it's something you will have to weigh out; bu tto me, the size itself, more the form factor of the SFF family, is more important than the weight... I work for UPS and regularly throw packages in excess of 100lbs. to a height of about 5'10", so to me, a few extra pounds is not a detriment when it allows for more expansion and more features. Not that I am trying to shove as much as I can into an SFF, rather, that I wish to get everything I want in comfortably, in terms of power and cooling.

I've just recently started looking into shuttles. And it seems most people here get barebone shuttles then add on to them with whatever they want. Why not just buy a complete shuttle from their website? Is it that badly overpriced? http://sys.us.shuttle.com/BuildXPC.aspx?id=1109

Btw, you can get GeForce 6800GT 256MB PCI-E in the shuttle if you buy it that way, of course that still doesnt mean they'd have it in stock.

Overpriced and some of us prefer having more selection of parts to put in our computers. Fine for the Non PC people but for the rest of us, we build them with our blood sweat and tears.

Not really one to run the numbers... but for a hardware enthusiest (while I admit I am no longer an overclocking enthusiest), buying the parts and setting it up yourself is just one of the joys of life. Why pay someone else to take that away? I mean, I almost enjoy setting up a system, and running demos and benchmarks, more than using it on a day to day basis for gaming and school.

I don't think it matters that the P's weigh more... Your XPC is gonna be a pretty heavy fucker anyway after you put all your components in it.

Also, you forgot P = uglier :(

Clownboat said:
I don't think it matters that the P's weigh more... Your XPC is gonna be a pretty heavy fucker anyway after you put all your components in it.

Also, you forgot P = uglier :(

That's your opinion, I have mine. I don't claim to have good taste, but I don't think it looks too much worse; not enough to detract from all of it's other advantages over the G chassis.

IdiotInCharge said:
That's your opinion, I have mine. I don't claim to have good taste, but I don't think it looks too much worse; not enough to detract from all of it's other advantages over the G chassis.

I"ve carried fully loaded XPC's and they are not that heavy, definently not something worth bitching about. And I personally I find the P chassis to be good looking. I love the new cooling and layout design as it solves alot of gripes I had with the G chassis.

IceWind said:
I"ve carried fully loaded XPC's and they are not that heavy, definently not something worth bitching about. And I personally I find the P chassis to be good looking. I love the new cooling and layout design as it solves alot of gripes I had with the G chassis.

This means you agree with me. Lol.

I have to agree that building it yourself is what makes it fun, and not to mention 99.9% of the time cheaper. I also get a nice learning experience everytime I build a system, sff or not. I can still remember the reaction I had when I complainned to my brother-in-law many years ago that my computer was running slow, and how I wanted a new one, but I had almost just purchased the one I had. He responded with "Well build a new one then," I was like "build?!?, don't you mean buy?" That started my trek into hardcore gaming because I now had a machine that could run the games I wanted to play, and it also gave me an easy upgrade path. I repay the favor by helping others build kick ass systems for less too. Good times!

I dont think the P Chassis really has much advantages over the G chassis at all. Yes it has a higher rater PSU...but you will find that the psu in the g chassis is sufficient for any vid card + overclocking. It is very capable.

Yes there is a bit more space in the P chassis, but not all that much more, and it is bigger too, in the world of SFF small size is everything.

The P chassis doesn't really provide better cooling, more of an alternate cooling. The noise level is about the same as the G chassis, perhaps a bit louder even, and the temperatures are about the same.

The deciding factor for me is that I hate the look of the P chassis while I love the look of the G5. I was very dissapointed that the sn25 had to be a p chassis, hopefully the st20g5 will prove to be a good box cause I do want PCIe when I build my new computer this summer.

Back