any other models in the <13 inch market?

Imitation

2[H]4U
So the wife's old fujitsu lifebook is on its last legs, hinge is broken so you can't really open and close the screen. I've been hunting for replacements the last couple months. Here's the requirements

Her requirements:
Her fujitsu is only 10.6, so the new one needs to be <13, she says 13" lappy's are too big.
She wants it to run win7, so that pretty much throws out 90% of netbooks.

My requirements:
NOT an atom cpu, her current 1.2ghz cpu in her current lappy is probly close to on par with atom. Also don't think any atom based lappy will run win7 well.
Better resolution screen than a netbook.
Not cost an arm and a leg, prefer <1000

Now the leading candidate i've found is this guy from acer. Single core but its core2 based not atom, 4gigs o ram capable, not terrible IGP with the 4500, good resolution screen and "up to" 6 hours battery life.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115606

Now my question, where are all the other offerings based on this cpu? How does asus, msi, and others not have a lappy in this market segement or do u think they're holding em till win7 hits? Wife is getting ansy even tho she knows she has to wait till win7 is released soon.

how about a thinkpad X200? it's 12", intel P/T series processors, and 1280x800 for the standard x200, and up to 1440x900 on the x200s

you can get refurbs from the outlet for well under $1000.

...Also don't think any atom based lappy will run win7 well...
I'm surely not the only one who'll note: I am runng Win7 on my mini 10v, and it runs fine. Just as well as the XPHome it came with.

An Atom can handle just about any OS. Its the applications on top that'll bring it down.

I'm surely not the only one who'll note: I am runng Win7 on my mini 10v, and it runs fine. Just as well as the XPHome it came with.

An Atom can handle just about any OS. Its the applications on top that'll bring it down.

Yea, it runs great on my first gen Aspire One.

Well i guess the other issue is that last time I reformatted her current lappy it was because her fingerprint scanner died and as a last ditch effort to fix it I reformatted her lappy and she wasn't happy with the results. So she's been pretty insistent that win7 comes preinstalled and now as an "upgrade" later. How many netbooks are gonna come with it preinstalled u think?

Lots of retailers are starting to go out of stock or holding on atm for new win7 setups, so not all options are out. Asus has a couple of nice laptops very light and portable, a little faster and more capable than netbook, you might not find them atm, but they probably will get back in stock after win7 release (oct22), they should sell for between $650-800, Asus UL30A, very light and slim design aswell as long 12 hours batery operation, it should be a faster than netbook with the dual core cpu while still being small.

Cnet Review Asus UL30A A1 Core 2 Duo Su7300
PC Mag Asus UL30A-A1 CULV Laptop

Even though UL30A are really light computers, since you mention you want a slightly smaller than 13, probably check their 12.1' still very slim design Asus U20A and with backlit keyboard, in case you like it, make sure when you buy it to go for the core2duo (SU9400/SU7300).

Unboxing Video, Asus U20A-A1 notebook 12.1"

Last edited:
Yeah that U20A looks pretty nice. But it seems a little pricey for essentially a built in dvd drive and a duo core cpu vs the acer that has no dvd drive and a core2 solo for half the price. I'm sure its built more sturdy and has other nice things like the backlit keyboard and stuff, but in this economy, we're not looking for frills.

I had thought about the fact that with win7 coming there will be new models coming out, hopefully they have a lower cost U20A without the frills for 600 or less and I'd probably order that one. I really just want more variety to choose from! Come on manufacturers!

I don't know if you are open to an AMD based machine, but I bought this one last week and played with it over the weekend:

MSI Wind U210

Very nice machine for the price. It comes with vista home premium preinstalled, but I think they are offering a free upgrade to win7 when it comes out. It is faster than an atom and seemed to run cool. I would guestimate that battery life is spot on at 4 hours for surfing the web and basic office work.

i agree, on oct 22nd (or a week before actually, i think MS said they can start selling win7 systems a week early). we will see a whole new line of laptops on the shelves... tigris (vision) is coming and i expect to see a lot fo new designed over the next month or two....

Back