Any other IT Guys relieved over the RIM/NTP Settlement?

KaosDG

[H]F Junkie
Finally, it's "over".

So many of my private clients, as well as my official company, depend on Blackberry's services.

After all the news broke on how NTP was seeking a shut down, you can imagine the frenzy that had to be dealt with.

I spent literally about 4 full days in meetings explaining what was going on, and what our options were.

Worst of all, some of our clients were still on NT4/Exchange 5.5, and wanted some of the new Windows mobile based devices (which don't really integrate well with legacy systems)
I've even been involved in migrating one such site to Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 "Just in case" (This really shouldn't be an excuse to move to a better, stable system, but that's a story for another thread)

At least now I can rest easy somewhat.

I wasn't looking forward to having to install "patches" on blackberry servers so they would support teh new "non-infinging" delivery method. Or all the handheld software upgrades that were going to go with it (at least that would have been or desktop support team's problem).

No big deal. We all know this was what was going to happen once they lost the final case. It was only a matter of time before they paid up. Don't forget that there was a $450M agreement in the past that had already fallen through, so getting another agreement in place was only a matter of time. Now that the judge ruled against them they had no choice but to pay up or be shut down.

I'm not relieved at all over the RIM/NTP deal. I wasn't even stressed.

You have to be one flaming imbecil if you thought for a second that there was even the remote potential that RIM/Blackberrys would be shut down. :rolleyes:

RIM had seriously 6 trump cards over this whole matter. They merely settled because their customer base was leveling off and their stock was going nowhere. That's a sure way to piss off investors. If they wanted to they could have kept going and ultimately won but again.... their investors probably had a strong say in this.

Back