Any online retailer that will take an LCD back if it has a dead pixel?

Whipsmack

Gawd
Normally one dead-pixel won't bother me, depending on its location. But I just can't shell out $400 for a monitor and think that I could be living with 7 dead pixels without being able to return for a full refund.

If you purchase from costco.com are you able to return it at a local B&M store?

Thanks!

Look for a retailer that will take the monitor back for no reason withing 15-30 days. Then pixels are no worry. Just turn around a buy another one fresh with the same return policy. Watch for "drop shipped" orders, as they are not coverd by the shippers return policy.

Why don't you just buy one locally? It is a lot easier to return things. You should buy any high risk item locally. LCDs are not a high risk item for me. I have bought 10 or so desktop LCDs over the past five years and only one has dead pixels. It was a Viewsonic from five years ago or more. The only LCDs with pixel problems I see now are laptop ones.

Of the 7 lcd monitors I have purchased (1 BenQ, 1 Samsung, 5 Acers) none have had any dead pixels. The 5 Acer's were all Ferrari F-20's for a client and I ended up keeping one for myself amazed that I beat the dead pixel odds. I have used a Dell 17" at work with dead pixels but I feel it is far less common than you would think...people with dead pixels post about it loudly, those with none either state it once or not at all.

If they are so rare why don't companies let you return it then? I don't care if odds are in my favor knowing my luck i'll get a dead pixel. or 5

They are rare but it would still have a high impact on costs if every single LCD had to be dead pixel free.

My Dell 2405FPW has none...my Nintendo DS has a dead pixel though :(

www.ncix.com has the 30 day warranty for like 20 bucks. if there is anything that makes the monitor unsatisfactory, (dead pixel etc.) they will exchange it.

DaCoOlNeSs said:
www.ncix.com has the 30 day warranty for like 20 bucks. if there is anything that makes the monitor unsatisfactory, (dead pixel etc.) they will exchange it.

That's worth it, but they didn't have the Philips I wanted. Also, beware of "return policies" of late. They don't tell you specifics. On Amazon, they are getting shady, as you will notice they ahve a 30 money back return policy, but if you try to find LCD panels specifically, you can't find thta information. I called CS and asked for a written return policy via their web for LCD monitors I could print, but he said that information is not available, but that "LCD panels are considered to be in laptop and desktop computers category, and I could return it, but ofr a 15% restock fee." I again asked for that in writing, explaining that if it isn;t in writing, tehn the policy is worthless to me, or any consumer. He said he would have to refer me to a higher level CS. I got another one and she said she would have to email a higer level CS to get a response. This is the response I got:

Thank you for calling us at Amazon.com.

I understand that you are looking for the return policy on a Philips
Brilliance 230WP7NS - Flat panel display - TFT - 23" - widescreen -
1920 x 1200 / 60 Hz - 300 cd/m2 - 700:1 - 12 ms - 0.258 mm - DVI,
VGA (HD-15) asin B000E53J1S.

This item is only available from merchant/mp sellers and the
Amazon.com return policy does not apply.

If you visit the Amazon.com website and search with the asin number
it will take you to the item you are inquiring about. Then click on
Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by ANTOnline and it will
take you to the page with all the information regarding this
seller. You would then need to contact ANTOnline to see what their
return policy is.

We always strive to provide a high level of service, and we would
appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we resolved your
inquiry.

I am not sure about e-tailer wise. Though I recently had some luck with samsung after noticing Budwise was able to pull the same thing off.

I only had one dead pixel on my 940B, ive had it for months now, but figured I would try to get a new one. Not only did the rep on the phone say they would replace it, for just the one pixel, but hes even allowing me to upgrade to the 204B.

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
I am not sure about e-tailer wise. Though I recently had some luck with samsung after noticing Budwise was able to pull the same thing off.

I only had one dead pixel on my 940B, ive had it for months now, but figured I would try to get a new one. Not only did the rep on the phone say they would replace it, for just the one pixel, but hes even allowing me to upgrade to the 204B.

Some companies with some models give you a 100% no dead pixel return policy. Perhaps that model had that warranty with it? Good to hear your success. My friend just got his Sony P234B and he said it has dead pixels.

DougWD said:
Some companies with some models give you a 100% no dead pixel return policy. Perhaps that model had that warranty with it? Good to hear your success. My friend just got his Sony P234B and he said it has dead pixels.

The odd thing is I explicitly checked the warranty, and I believe its still the same on their site.

The minimum number of defective pixels we allow before we will replace an in warranty monitor is as follows:

* For a 15" Monitor - 7 or more bad pixels
* For 17" and 19" Monitors -10 or more bad pixels
* For 21" - 24" Monitors - 17 or more bad pixels.

So either some of us are getting friendly reps on the phone, or their policy isnt as strict as it seems. Something to consider if you want to buy online, maybe go with samsung.

Back