Any one notice NewEgg...?

You got a what? :p

I like to make up my own names when I am too excited to type ;)

I got the 640mhz clocked version..they had a 600mhz, 640mhz, and a 670mhz. The 600mhz (which I guess I would have called 600 8800GT :p) was sold out.

Pretty happy...this will replace my x1900

picked up the 8800gt ExTreme for $280,didnt get a call yet,still a good price for an overclocked version,there going for $300 bucks at other etailers.Thanks Kyle,much appreciated!

put in my info for the 640mhz version.

Awesome XFX + [H]; my two faves.

NewEgg doesn't sell muffins, if they did they'd be stale anyway, muffins should be eaten within hours of being baked, not days.

If we want to call it price gouging we can, it seems like price gouging to me so I'm going to call it that. I feel gouged by their price, my feeling can't be "wrong", it's MY feeling.

If we who have been customers of NewEgg for years want to be upset, and want to complain, about said price gouging, then, by all means, we have every right to do so. NewEgg has made some extra $$$, but, maybe it wasn't really worth it considering how much affect people like us have on their business (word of mouth, telling non-PC experts where to buy stuff, etc.)

I complained to NewEgg about it and they gave me a $25 credit to apply to my next order, that's just about exactly what it would take (took) to get me to stop being irritated at them for what they've been doing in regards to the price on 8800GT cards.

I still don't like it, but now they haven't lost me as a customer (and I continue to refer business to them on a daily basis). I have, personally, probably caused over 100 people to buy from NewEgg, so I guess that $25 was an extremely cheap price for them to get me back on their good side.

I use a remote desktop program as part of the tech supt. work I do and I actually guided a grandma type lady through buying a 1 GB kit of G. Skill RAM from the 'Egg just the other day :p (She was running XP on 256 MB and her system was dragging trying to run MSN + AV + AntiSpyware software).

Still bugs me that I can't find any eVGA 8800GTs for under $250 yet. :( If NewEgg would sell me an eVGA 8800GT tomorrow for $229, that would make me a HAPPY customer :D

NewEgg doesn't sell muffins, if they did they'd be stale anyway, muffins should be eaten within hours of being baked, not days.
Welcome to the world of analogies. Believe it or not, the United States isn't literally a big pot that melts things.

If we want to call it price gouging we can,
Indeed, nobody said that you couldn't.

it seems like price gouging to me so I'm going to call it that. I feel gouged by their price, my feeling can't be "wrong", it's MY feeling.
Good for you. Go with that feeling.

My feeling is that people who get worked up over these things probably need to get some perspective and consider that their own needs, wants, and desires are not the ultimate arbiter of what is "fair" or even "proper."

If we who have been customers of NewEgg for years want to be upset, and want to complain, about said price gouging, then, by all means, we have every right to do so.
Just so we're clear, who's saying you can't? Some have merely expressed an opinion that some who are complaining are getting a bit emo and butt-hurt over the whole thing. Rather than just stating that the price is too high. If you want to introduce morality and ethics into what seems to me to be a straight-forward case of supply and demand, feel free. Nobody is stopping you. But you should probably just accept that people will have an opinion about this and stop pretending that you're somehow being censored or told that you aren't allowed to complain.

NewEgg has made some extra $$$, but, maybe it wasn't really worth it considering how much affect people like us have on their business (word of mouth, telling non-PC experts where to buy stuff, etc.)
I'm willing to bet that you, or at least the vast majority of folks now comlaining will be happy to give Newegg their money the next time they have an item for a price they find reasonable.

As I've said, companies don't want you to be happy with the price you paid. They don't even want you to be satisfied. They want you to pay as much as you possibly can without feeling so ill-disposed towards them that you won't buy your next item from them. I've seen no evidence that Newegg has crossed over this threshold. Indeed, I'm pretty confident they haven't gotten anywhere near it.

I complained to NewEgg about it and they gave me a $25 credit to apply to my next order, that's just about exactly what it would take (took) to get me to stop being irritated at them for what they've been doing in regards to the price on 8800GT cards.

I still don't like it, but now they haven't lost me as a customer (and I continue to refer business to them on a daily basis). I have, personally, probably caused over 100 people to buy from NewEgg, so I guess that $25 was an extremely cheap price for them to get me back on their good side.
So, you complained that they raised the price on the 8800gt and they just gave you money? Had you purchased one? That's story is sorta vague. But, your point seems to be that Newegg has excellent customer service and will address your complaints. Uh. . . neat!

I use a remote desktop program as part of the tech supt. work I do and I actually guided a grandma type lady through buying a 1 GB kit of G. Skill RAM from the 'Egg just the other day :p (She was running XP on 256 MB and her system was dragging trying to run MSN + AV + AntiSpyware software).
These are wonderful stories. What are we talking about again?

Still bugs me that I can't find any eVGA 8800GTs for under $250 yet. :( If NewEgg would sell me an eVGA 8800GT tomorrow for $229, that would make me a HAPPY customer :D
Well, clearly, they should sell it to you for whatever you're willing to pay. Even if they could sell them all to others for more. :D

Do they only sell stock they have on hand, or do they also sell stock that is expected?

For example; They buy 100 cards for 200 a pop. They sell them at 225. Knowing that all the kids want one, they contact the supplier and allocate another 100 cards. But, this batch, due to demands and expensive shipping, costs them 225 a pop. As soon as the last of the 225 dollar cards sell (buyer 100), the price goes up to 250 (buyer 101) to reflect the pricing for the next allocation.

It's just a theory.

I have heard through the grape vine,that that is what is happening here.

Thumbs up XFX! Even though I already bought an 8800GT when they released, now I'm especially pleased it was an XFX!

Thanks to Kyle and XFX! I wasn't able to get one, as it seems the $249 stock version is no longer available, but it's great that we had the chance... :D

Back