Any of you guys use Hyper-V? Virtual Network Help

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I am messing around with Hyper-V @ my office on a test server (little 1.8 Opteron, 4GB). I loaded SBS 08 as the main os, and then loaded Hyper-V as a role. I started a virtual machine and loaded up Server 08. Virtual machine starts up fine, but lists a ! in Device Manager for the network device and says Network Cable Unplugged.

I only have 1 network card in this server. Pretty much all I want to happen is have the virtual machines part of the same network as the guest os.

I see tons of stuff under Virtual Network Manager but not to sure what to select... Private, Internal, External or if I need to add another NIC.

Any tips?

Set it to external and pick your nic. You may also have to connect to the vm and action > insert intergration disk (its like vmware tools for hyper-v).

So 1 network card, set to External.

I had to remove the network card from the virtual os, set to legacy then install the integration disk, i was able to set its ip, and from the guest os i can ping the sbs server.

guest os = 192.168.6.11
sbs - host - 192.168.6.10

i can ping from the guest to the sbs box, but cant bing from sbs to the guest os.

how can i fix that?

have you installed all the OS updates on the host server? I believe there are a ton of updates to Hyper-V. The beta verson of Hyper-V didn't support guest and host communication on the same nic. also, I should not that MS does not support running Hyper-V on a server with other roles installed on it.

i installed all updates on the SBS box, started up the guest machine.

set its ip on the guest machine to: 192.168.6.11/255.255.255.0/192.168.6.1 and dns 192.168.6.10

host machine is 192.168.6.10/255.255.255.0/192.168.6.1/ and dns is 127.0.0.1

mostly just using this to fuck around.

figured with some of my clients getting these high powered dual quad core boxes, i could load up hyper-v with say a Win2k3 guest os for BES and stuff.

so i would need the guest machine to be able to access the host and vice versa, as well as having the lan or outside world access the guest machine.

can i do it?

try popping in another NIC and configuring the guest to use the other NIC. I know there were issues with Hyper-V sharing NICs between the host and the guests. I managed to fix it one time after some update rollup or something, its been a year since I messed with it though, can't remember the details. :(

Back