Any OEMs using AM3 boards yet?

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
I need a OEM PC (shelf bought or counfigred from a major vendor). Is anyone aware of manufacturers using AM3 boards? Price is not really an issue, its for compatibility testing.

AM3 boards have just been announced by a couple of manufacturers.......doubtful that any OEMs have them as yet. You should start seeing them in a couple of months when the CPUs start rolling out.:D

Figured as much, that does not help me slip one into the 2008 budget though :p

This Asrock 790Gx/SB750 AOD790GX/128M mobo is not OEM, but it is AM3 CPU ready but will only use DDR2, however, it has recieved excellent ratings, as has the similar Asrock 780G mobo:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=AOD790GX/128M&s=n

I bet the OEM systems will be coming soon as the OP states.

Chris

I can vouch for the ASRock A780GXE mobo.. Pretty beast of a mobo for 80 bucks.. And its supposed to be AM3 ready, so we'll see once the phenom II's roll out.

I can vouch for the ASRock A780GXE mobo.. Pretty beast of a mobo for 80 bucks.. And its supposed to be AM3 ready, so we'll see once the phenom II's roll out.

Did you end up getting your board? I replied in a thread before and you were waiting on it to be shipped. Just wondered if it is as good as it looks before I order mine.

Speaking of.. anyone know if Newegg is open today? (new years) im guessing not and i dont have access to a phone at the moment to find out.

Good to hear!! Thanx!! I'm still waiting on the 7750 in the mail. However, I was lazy and have had the 790Gx for about a little less than 3-weeks and should have gotten it up and running with my 5400+ BE. That 5400+ BE is a great CPU.

Happy New Year!!! Chris

Yeah, I saw that ECS mobo but it is unfortunately not yet on sale at any stores that I could find. Looks like a very decent mobo. Chris

am3 will come @ cebit in march or the show in june the am2+ chips are for all the people with am2 boards so they can just buy a chip and oh look i have a faster computer

Yeah, and March or June are too long to wait for some people, so the PH2's for DDR2 and AM2+ mobos will be just fine for those people that don't want to wait and get an AM3 mobo with DDR3. I think that is a good move by AMD to make hurry up and get the AM2 PH2's on the market ASAP. I got my 7750 yesterday in the mail but am just starting to build my new compooter with it. Chris

Yeah, and March or June are too long to wait for some people, so the PH2's for DDR2 and AM2+ mobos will be just fine for those people that don't want to wait and get an AM3 mobo with DDR3. I think that is a good move by AMD to make hurry up and get the AM2 PH2's on the market ASAP. I got my 7750 yesterday in the mail but am just starting to build my new compooter with it. Chris

the best thing is the am2+ chips can work with am2 board heh gives the entire am2 ecosystem a boost

Yeah, backward compatibility is very good with the PH1 and X2 7000 and PH2 DDR2 series for those with good AM2 boards that don't want to needlesly spend $$ to upgrade to an AM2+ board, and the same for those (me) with AM2+ mobos that don't want to spend the $$ to upgrade to AM3 mobos with DDR3. AMD did everyone a favor with this good backward compatibility. I think the PH1's will will work on an AM3 mobo but will only be able to run with the mobo set to DDR2, so there is also forward compatibility if this is true (I forget but I think this is true). Chris

Yeah, backward compatibility is very good with the PH1 and X2 7000 and PH2 DDR2 series for those with good AM2 boards that don't want to needlesly spend $$ to upgrade to an AM2+ board, and the same for those (me) with AM2+ mobos that don't want to spend the $$ to upgrade to AM3 mobos with DDR3. AMD did everyone a favor with this good backward compatibility. I think the PH1's will will work on an AM3 mobo but will only be able to run with the mobo set to DDR2, so there is also forward compatibility if this is true (I forget but I think this is true). Chris

nope ph1 and am2+ ph2 will never work on am3 it is a physically different socket 938 for am3 to 940

Ahh, thanx for the clarification. Thought I had read the reverse, but it is correct that PH2/DDR3-ready will work on AM2+ mobos with DDR2 setting, I think anyway since the PH2/DDR3-ready have less pins. Chris

Ahh, thanx for the clarification. Thought I had read the reverse, but it is correct that PH2/DDR3-ready will work on AM2+ mobos with DDR2 setting, I think anyway since the PH2/DDR3-ready have less pins. Chris

it will fit and work fine the reverse will not work

it will fit and work fine the reverse will not work

Yeah, I went and reread and did some more reading on the subject. Easy to forget and confuse this. That is good because I have a very good Asrock 790Gx mobo that will accept the PH2's and it is already AM3 ready and will not supposedly need a BIOS update. I just got the X2 7750 for it but haven't done diddley yet as I was going to this weekend. The 7750 will hold me over for some time, and I actually didn't 'need' to buy it as my 5400+ BE works just fine (~11774 3dMark06 points OC'd @3.2GHz with XFired HD4670's, but I backed it down to 3.1GHz and upped the video cards to Saphire 1GB versions instead of Saphire 512MB versions, and the 1GB versions OC better than the 512MB versions but overall the 1GB versions give a bit better performance. The 11,774 or so 3DMk06 score is a bit faster than a stock E8400 with an 8800GT, so I was actually OK with this setup but couldn't resist the Phenom X2 7750 at $75.). Next step up will be a PH1 X3 8750 or a PH2 X3 or X4 sometime later in 2009. The backward compatibility of the AMD CPU's is a very good selling point and their performance and price is just fine. :)

Back