Any news on RS780 motherboards?

3. As usual I went into the BIOS on first boot and set all the settings I usually would for performance (not overclock), hard drive controllers, boot sequence, memory divider, etc. However Vista would keep hanging right at the end of setup in the same place multiple times. So I decided just to load defaults and try it. This worked, however I didn't notice that the SATA was set to native IDE now. I now can't change it to the ACHI setting (which enables hot removal, native command queuing, etc) because Vista will bluescreen on boot with the changed harddrive controller. I don't know initially how I'd get around this in Vista without reinstalling, but am semi-confident I can find an answer on the web. I don't currently know what BIOS setting was causing Vista to hang, but am wondering if I need to use a raid driver during setup to maybe get past the hang part. I was able to see the harddive though during setup so not sure that's it.

Does this board have the SB600 chipset for the south bridge, if so then it has a bug (well, more than one but the AHCI one is pritty big).

Vista gets into a state when trying to command the SATA ports on the SB600 and locks up awaiting a timeout on the controller. There is a Vista patch for it but it only partly worked, on my system running with AHCI enables would eventually BOSD the system with an AHCI driver error, there is a fix however.

There is a patch on the web that installs the RAID driver in place of the Vista AHCI driver that fixes the problem (Device manager reports a raid driver installed but it works fine). Once the patch has been applied and vista has booted using AHCI you go and force the raid drivers into the place of the standard AHCI ones that vista installs on the reboot (device manager, update driver, pick driver and follow down the ATi folder structure till you find the SB drivers). This fixes all the crashing and lockup problems.

If you are doing all this from a fresh install, use another PC to install the ATi drivers and copy the Raid drivers onto a pen drive, when installing vista choose to load new drivers at the point where you choose what partiton to install onto and choose the raid drivers from the pen drive. This works a treat.

You will have to google about SB600 / 690G AHCI SATA problems.

Does this board have the SB600 chipset for the south bridge, if so then it has a bug (well, more than one but the AHCI one is pritty big).

Vista gets into a state when trying to command the SATA ports on the SB600 and locks up awaiting a timeout on the controller. There is a Vista patch for it but it only partly worked, on my system running with AHCI enables would eventually BOSD the system with an AHCI driver error, there is a fix however.

There is a patch on the web that installs the RAID driver in place of the Vista AHCI driver that fixes the problem (Device manager reports a raid driver installed but it works fine). Once the patch has been applied and vista has booted using AHCI you go and force the raid drivers into the place of the standard AHCI ones that vista installs on the reboot (device manager, update driver, pick driver and follow down the ATi folder structure till you find the SB drivers). This fixes all the crashing and lockup problems.

If you are doing all this from a fresh install, use another PC to install the ATi drivers and copy the Raid drivers onto a pen drive, when installing vista choose to load new drivers at the point where you choose what partiton to install onto and choose the raid drivers from the pen drive. This works a treat.

You will have to google about SB600 / 690G AHCI SATA problems.

It's the new SB700. We didn't have time to reinstall and unless I'm missing something he's really only missing out on RAID and NCQ, neither of which he cared about or would even really make use of. Good info though since I work on a lot of friend machines, thanks.

In case someone is wanting to order this, if you order it from eWiz via Google shopping, it's $80+shipping.

Ewiz now has the ECS A780GM-A at $63.86, the GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H for $80.56, and the Asus M3A78-EMH for $82.40 through Froogle.

Think any of the vendors will make a serious gaming board out of this? I think it would be pretty cool to have say a tri core along with a midrange graphics card in it, while over clocking it at the same time.

As far as crossfire is concerned does this IGP do it with say a 3850/3870?

Think any of the vendors will make a serious gaming board out of this? I think it would be pretty cool to have say a tri core along with a midrange graphics card in it, while over clocking it at the same time.

As far as crossfire is concerned does this IGP do it with say a 3850/3870?

Hybrid crossfire only works with 34x0 cards such as the 3450 and 3470, for now at least.

have there been any solid capacitor 780G boards announced/released yet?

have there been any solid capacitor 780G boards announced/released yet?

I know for certain that the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM has solid caps. Perhaps someone knows more about the other motherboards. Though you could always change them out yourself with solid caps of the same rating, not too difficult with a 40W soldering iron.

Sapphire is releasing a 780G board soon with all solid caps iirc.

this board?
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2758

it doesn't have the "D" suffix, nor is it branded under Gigabytes Ultra Durable range...... :(

I'm unsure of the question you're asking. From the same link you've posted, listed as one of the GA-MA78GM's features, "Solid Capacitor for CPU VRM Stable system operation depends upon the quality of CPU VRM (voltage regulator module). GIGABYTE adopts Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors for CPU VRM to ensure a longer lifespan for systems in daily operation and boost system stability under extreme conditions. CPU VRM with Solid Capacitors featuring better electronic conductivity, excellent heat resistance enhances system durability even operating in high temperature environment."

The 'Ultra Durable' designation appears to be determined by even higher rated solid capacitors and mosfets (with less heat lost to switching,) and ferrite core chokes. At least with the 780G budget graphic line, you'll find the Gigabyte, Asus, and boards have average rated solid caps in the most critical areas surrounding the cpu, mosfets, and regulators. You could always create your own Ultra Durable 780G by switching out to those higher rated parts yourself.

true, just pointing out that it obviously isn't the quality board that the G33 DSR2 is. :(

in the absence of open ended 4x slots on new (PCIe 2.0) boards, is nVidia going to ever release PCIe 1x vid-cards

and do the 780G / SB700 chipset support PCIe 2.0 in the small expansion slots (as opposed to the 16x slot)?

true, just pointing out that it obviously isn't the quality board that the G33 DSR2 is. :(

I wouldn't that it's any lesser of a quality board at all. In the majority of cases, it might even be overkill. The 780G was simply meant as a budget graphics board.The 790X/FX are considered enthusiast boards... the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 and Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 are both part of the Ultra Durable line, plenty more in this category too. Or you can wait for the 780D boards right around the corner. DFI and Gigabyte have designed an all solid cap board around this chipset already.

tell me more, i didn't realise there was a 780D chipset?

a gigabyte AM2+ mATX board with an open 4x slot and the ultra-durable 2 branding would rock!!

I need to know if the new 780G motherboards are able to feed dual monitors at the same time. I'm look at buliding my girlfriend a new computer but she uses two monitors. Looking at the Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, they both have VGA, DVI, HDMI connectors. Can she run her two monitors, one on the VGA, the other on the DVI with a VGA adaptor at the same time?

I need to know if the new 780G motherboards are able to feed dual monitors at the same time. I'm look at buliding my girlfriend a new computer but she uses two monitors. Looking at the Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, they both have VGA, DVI, HDMI connectors. Can she run her two monitors, one on the VGA, the other on the DVI with a VGA adaptor at the same time?

Yes, it's one of the selling points. You can actually do up to four monitors with an add-in card using ATI SurroundView.

tell me more, i didn't realise there was a 780D chipset?

780D is the 790GX I believe. So far, Ive only seen pics of full sized ATX boards. Hopefully someone makes a mATX variant or some of these other vendors start getting their 780G products out in the US. Im getting a little tired of waiting:(

Looks like Asrock might be first out of the gate with Sidebar in the US. Asrocks A780FullDisplayPort 780G motherboard "appears" to have a ram module to the left of the northbridge. I maybe mistaken but thats what it looks like to me.

Ive been going over pictures of boards for months hoping to find one of these and this is the first Ive came across that resembles it. Ive never used Asrock, or had any interest to, but I might pick one up when it comes out.

is there any news on how this allocation of PCIe lanes will work?

i'f like to run a GX2 at full 16x bandwidth, but the ability to stick a 9600GS in the second slot running at PCIe (2.0) 1x would be fantastic.

or will it be hardwired as 8x + 8x electrical on the two physical 16x slots?

Me - This board?
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2758
it doesn't have the "D" suffix, nor is it branded under Gigabytes Ultra Durable range..... :(
I'm unsure of the question you're asking. From the same link you've posted, listed as one of the GA-MA78GM's features, "Solid Capacitor for CPU VRM Stable system operation depends upon the quality of CPU VRM (voltage regulator module). GIGABYTE adopts Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors for CPU VRM to ensure a longer lifespan for systems in daily operation and boost system stability under extreme conditions. CPU VRM with Solid Capacitors featuring better electronic conductivity, excellent heat resistance enhances system durability even operating in high temperature environment."

The 'Ultra Durable' designation appears to be determined by even higher rated solid capacitors and mosfets (with less heat lost to switching,) and ferrite core chokes. At least with the 780G budget graphic line, you'll find the Gigabyte, Asus, and boards have average rated solid caps in the most critical areas surrounding the cpu, mosfets, and regulators. You could always create your own Ultra Durable 780G by switching out to those higher rated parts yourself.
ithink this article clarifies my worries about cheap-ass 780G boards:
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3279&p=3

who is going to provide the mATX crowd with a decent high-end Phenom motherboard?

the whole situation is a disgrace, and i would not recommend AMD to any mATX'er until they sort it out.

yes indeed.

i am sat on £1200 waiting to drop it on a Sugo03 gaming machine and yet................

Intel cannot provide me with a PCIe2 chipset
&
AMD can only provide rubbish PCIe2 boards

what is a gamer to do?

who is going to provide the mATX crowd with a decent high-end Phenom motherboard?

the whole situation is a disgrace, and i would not recommend AMD to any mATX'er until they sort it out.

If I had only seen this article before pulling the trigger on the ASUS 780G. Wow to say the least. I have a 9600BE in it right now and it runs fine. Here's to hoping Deneb brings the TDP down so I have an upgrade path >_>

Go check out some low power consumption pc websites. Youll see that lower phase power is recommended because it consumes less, might not be a lot but sometimes every last watt counts.

AMD is marketing this as a low power consumption chipset and actualy did some research into that segment. It looks as if the actualy read a lot of the feedback from multiple home theatre, SFF, and low power consumption forums and made the best product they could that would cater to this segments needs. In my opinion, they have brought more innovation to these markets with this chipeset then anyone else so far.

Im not certain if the low phase power is a requirement of the chipset reference or just what companies have done so far. I would expect some boards to go with higher phase power, marketed more as gaming board, and all of them may very well after that article. Im willing to bet youll see newer revisions of the current boards repackaged with a Phenom disclaimer or maybe even reworked with the proper power for the chip. Its just one more thing youll have to look for when building a pc.

if AMD's processors cannot run on AMD's chipsets then they are crap.

it's not even as if the 9850 is super high performance.

if AMD's processors cannot run on AMD's chipsets then they are crap.

it's not even as if the 9850 is super high performance.

Has nothing to do with the chipset or AMD. It has everything to do with the motherboard makers. The boards that do not support the 9850 is because it is a 125W CPU, and the motherboard makers are skipping on the power supply and they will not handle the load needed by 125W CPU.

Anandtech did a follow up article:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3299

Of the boards that we have retested the last two weeks, three now claim full support for the 125W TDP processors. These include the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, Jetway PA78GT3-DG, and ASRock A780FullDisplayPort, all of which passed our test regimen. We have two other boards that do not implicitly state support for the Phenom 9850BE, but we found the Biostar TForce TA780G M2+ and Sapphire PI-AM2RS780G worked fine (read fine print next).

Back