Any news on RS780 motherboards?

DrRetina

Limp Gawd
I'm waiting for RS780 aka 780G motherboards to show up as I am about to put together a low noise/power HTPC.

AMD has scheduled this chipset for January so i was wondering if anyone have modelnumbers or just anything on upcomming boards?

Thanks.

The release date is supposed to be January 23rd, probably exclusive to the Asian Pacific, then parts of Europe. And then it should hit the States by late Feb early March. I hope I can wait that long. These look like great boards.

No comments on release date, but I can tell you it will spank the crap out of all other IGPs :D

Soyo is still making AMD boards? What was their last board, a Via KT400 based board?

Will this one be available in the North American market?

apparently Soyo have still been selling mobos in the Far East (at least China) for years despite withdrawing from the West.

Yup, RS780/SB700 is looking quite interesting! Ocworkbench.com has a bunch of RS780 news from the east.

One interesting link is to a chinese site
http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/265/265409.shtml
with a photo exhibit of 10 different RS780 motherboards.

Plugging that url in
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
and choosing the Chinese-simple to English option may provide some entertaining engrish :)

I feel I am obligated to share a gem from that.
babelfish said:
The motherboard背板the I/O connection are partial,China largehas provided the PS/2 mouseas well asthe keyboardconnectionas usual.The motherboardhas provided integrity VGA, DVI as well as the HDMI connection, and also has provided 1000000000000000 ethernetworks cardas well as eight sound trackssound card.
One quadrillion network cards! :eek:
DO WANT!

I have been looking for RS780 boards on official manufacturer homepages today and i could just find one at Biostar.. hopefully more will show up soon.

Biostar TA780G M2+

I am eagerly awaiting one as well...just trying to hold out. I just procrastinated a little bit on a crappy MSI 690G motherbaord (I put up a review here, don't get tempted by it!), and newegg should be refunding me my money next week. If these come out in a week or two, I think that I can hold out until then. Waiting until March though will be rather tough and I hope that I don't have to do that. I hope that Giga-byte brings one here quickly that will be based on their current 690G champ.
Jason

Unlike the 790FX's release, the one for the RS780 seems to be well orchestrated and ahead of schedule. Maybe that means we begin to see these for sale in the states by mid-Feb. That would be very cool. And apparently they will be priced under 100 dollars.

The SB700 (SB710) should be really nice. I don't quite get the need for 2 USB 1.1 ports when it already supports 12 USB 2.0 ports...

I don't know how these are considered ahead of schedule or anything. There isn't much information out there on them. I am definitely getting antsy waiting on them.
Jason

The SB700 (SB710) should be really nice. I don't quite get the need for 2 USB 1.1 ports when it already supports 12 USB 2.0 ports...

I don't know how these are considered ahead of schedule or anything. There isn't much information out there on them. I am definitely getting antsy waiting on them.
Jason

Some boards were available to reviewers in China two weeks before the launch. And some leaked onto the market before the launch. That's a good sign. And there's plenty of information/links provided by users in this thread. Although, there's a lack of real information available (in general) on current AMD products, most attempts being thwarted by the hysteria of pro-Intel/anti-AMD folks.

I'm getting antsy too, cause this will be part of my next two builds, home computer and HTPC. I can't wait until Newegg starts having links to these boards in stock.

... there's a lack of real information available (in general) on current AMD products, most attempts being thwarted by the hysteria of pro-Intel/anti-AMD folks...

Lord, it's been a long time since I have read any truer words on these forums! Thanks for having the balls to say it plainly... now bar the doors, as those same will be coming with their torches and pitchforks in a few posts. ;)

Lord, it's been a long time since I have read any truer words on these forums! Thanks for having the balls to say it plainly... now bar the doors, as those same will be coming with their torches and pitchforks in a few posts. ;)

DOWN WITH AMD!!

I kid I kid :p

Some new information. RS780-based boards appear to be on-track for a late-Feb early-March release date in the US. Hybrid CrossFireX drivers are expecting distribution to AMD partners in approximately two weeks. DigiTimes is today reporting on the AMD RS780's huge success in China, in a very short timeframe. Apparently it has boosted demand for AMD CPUs by as much as thirty percent.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/NewsSearch.asp?DocID=PD000000000000000000000000004574&query=RS780

OCWorkingbench has already posted some benches, with the RS780 receving a fairly astounding 3Dmark06 score of 1162... overclocked up to 2034 with side-port memory enabled. Pretty cool for an IGP. I believe many people are underestimating the impact of this platform on the ever-growing laptop market. This can only be great news for AMD/ATI.

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=426123#post426123

Someone over at XtremeSystems.com has also posted some preliminary benches of the J&W RS780UVD-AM2+

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174620&page=2

Also there is a 3 page "not quite review" of a RS780 board that is from some company that I am unfamiliar with: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2008/supox/AK780G/g1.htm

Looks interesting though, and I wonder what the SB700A is all about. I know personally if someone wants to send me one I'll give it a more thorough review than OCW did.
Jason

It's good to see SB700 is finally here.

BTW, SUPoX is the successor to EPoX. It's also good to see their colors again.

I was wondering that. I always liked EPoX quite a bit. They were my #1 company back in the super socket 7 days.
Jason

It's good to see SB700 is finally here.

BTW, SUPoX is the successor to EPoX. It's also good to see their colors again.

Cool. I thought it was too much of a coincidence with the lower case 'o', and there had to be some sort of connection. I didn't realize that EPoX had gone out of business in April 2007. And now the former employees have re-establshed the new company as SUPoX. EPoX was always the first to give us budget-minded folks a little something extra, like onboard diagnostics, for instance.

Read an interesting blurb about the AMD RS780 over at Anandtech. Nice little write-up without jumping to conclusions. Maybe there's hope for tech sites these days afterall.

"We have our first RS780 samples in-house for testing. Overall, we have been very impressed with the board's performance, video quality, and options. We will have a further look at this chipset in the near future, but for now, this chipset and a Phenom make for a very good HTPC setup. However, we are still bummed that the audio out capabilities across HDMI are limited to 2-channel LPCM with the current driver set. Also, Hybrid CrossFire is not working quite right but AMD has a new driver set coming shortly. About the only problem we have encountered during stress testing has been with the new SB700 Southbridge and Vista 64 as shown below. It might be sometime before the review is ready based on our disk transfer tests."

drive4kt5.png

"In all seriousness, it is difficult to gauge at this time whether we really have a SB700 problem or one of many Vista surprises that we seem to run into on a daily basis. Look for our preview shortly!"

Yea I just noticed that too. At least I'm not going to Vista quite yet (haven't desired to shell out the money yet since its kind of hard to come by right now, although I do want to move to vista eventually). Anyways as soon as I get my paws on one I'll be happy to post some results.
Jason

Gah, aren't these supposed to be out by now? I've got a few budget buddies lined up that need these boards!

Still have like a month to go reportedly:/ Im eagerly awaiting the 780G and 8200 from Nvidia. Im very interested in seeing who can pull of the better package. Hybrid crosfire/sli increasing performance is cool for some but I want to see who does the best on the newer power consumption features. Ive got a slim case here ready to go and have already been waiting like a month to get this build going so I cant wait.

Anyone found any other articles that report on the board or touch on any other newer features from the chipset?

Sorta confused here... are the new 780 series mobos supposed to be better than the existing 770/790 boards??

Sorta confused here... are the new 780 series mobos supposed to be better than the existing 770/790 boards??
770 = mid-range AMD chipset, for AMD chips
790 = high-end AMD, for AMD

780i = high end nVidia chipset, for Intel chips

Edit:
Duh. 780G is AMD's upcoming "value" chip, with integrated graphics.

They aren't neccesarily better, and they are meant for a different market. Their Southbridge chipset will more than likely be superior and supports more features, but 770 and 790 series should eventually pick up that chipset component anyways. These should have decent integrated video as well, plus some other capabilities that integrated video chipsets do not have yet (HT3, PCIe 2.0, etc.). Quite frankly, I check every day for one to be available in the U.S. market and I can't wait until they arrive.
Jason

Yeah the two big things they bring are really the DX10 onboard graphics that can then be hybrid crossfired with an add-in card later, and the updated southbridge, however they are going to be the value boards and will not replace the 790's (though some 790 boards may get retrofitted with the updated southbridge).

Personally I want PCIe 2.0 & HT3 support for phenom upgradeability all in a mATX package because god knows only once in my recent memory has any motherboard manufacturer put a real discrete chipset on a mATX motherboard (EVGA nForce4 SLI mATX board). The onboard video will disabled for me unless the power saving thing works where my real video card shuts down and the onboard one does the 2D stuff. I do agree that the updated southbridge will be a good thing as well.
Jason

Apparently on March 4th these boards will be officially released here in the US, which also just happens to be the first day of CeBIT. So meet me back here in sixteen days from now. Oh, and Gong He Xin Xi to everyone. :)

Apparently on March 4th these boards will be officially released here in the US, which also just happens to be the first day of CeBIT. So meet me back here in sixteen days from now. Oh, and Gong He Xin Xi to everyone. :)
ClubIT started selling the GA-MA78GM-S2H last week, on February 13, for $95.99 + shipping. Lots of AVSForum folks have been scarfing them up. Don't know how ClubIT got such a jump on this product--probably through direct connection with an Asian distributor--but however they did it, they've still got stock.

If these boards really are gray market, that might raise concern over their warranty coverage in the U.S. But ClubIT is neck-and-neck with Newegg at ResellerRatings, and I can't imagine they'd do something stupid to damage that standing. Then again, in terms of warranty coverage on genuine, manufacturer-made motherboards, maybe there is no gray-market caveat, maybe all such boards get coverage regardless....

Gigabyte seems to have temporarily retracted it's front-end product page, but second-tier support links are still accessible. It's nice to see there's already an F3B BIOS, but what's really interesting is the way Gigabyte has been raising the VGA core clock ceiling in F2 and F3B.

Manual
Drivers
Mem compatibility list

That's so cool cyburzaki. Thanks for the info, lots of juicy stuff there. If this Gigabyte is anything like their RX790 then it's a great board.

Well the giga-byte has been ordered :) I will inform you guys how it goes when it arrives.
Jason

Well the giga-byte has been ordered :) I will inform you guys how it goes when it arrives.
Jason

Congrats. :) Keep us updated. I'm going to wait until the official release... figure I waited this long. I'm building an HTPC for my mom, and a new computer for myself. And the price might drop a bit by then too. BTW, ClubIt currently has three boards left in stock, for anyone considering purchasing one.

Back