Any new Nexus phone rumors?

I know "the cloud" is the hot item in the tech world today -- but until a huge majority have access to a data pipe thats:

1) unlimited
2) reliable
3) moderately fast

then the grand dreams people have about some universal cloud are just an illusion. Let's say everything does start going to the cloud - how long are people going to put up with having to count the amount of gigabytes they use doing the most BASIC thing like listening to music on a jog?

"Sorry sweetie we can't have any fun road trip music because our daughter blew threw the family shared plan of GB's this month"

"Sorry boss - I couldn't work on that report because a storm came through and knocked down the only cell tower in my neighborhood"

The cloud right now is a good BACKUP, and nothing more. I sometimes use drop box - and it's a great tool, but I wouldn't rely on it for something mission critical. This is the 21st century, when I want access to something I want access to it NOW. Not 15 minutes from now while it's being downloaded off a throttled and limited 3G connection.

I know "the cloud" is the hot item in the tech world today -- but until a huge majority have access to a data pipe thats:

1) unlimited
2) reliable
3) moderately fast

then the grand dreams people have about some universal cloud are just an illusion. Let's say everything does start going to the cloud - how long are people going to put up with having to count the amount of gigabytes they use doing the most BASIC thing like listening to music on a jog?

"Sorry sweetie we can't have any fun road trip music because our daughter blew threw the family shared plan of GB's this month"

"Sorry boss - I couldn't work on that report because a storm came through and knocked down the only cell tower in my neighborhood"

The cloud right now is a good BACKUP, and nothing more. I sometimes use drop box - and it's a great tool, but I wouldn't rely on it for something mission critical. This is the 21st century, when I want access to something I want access to it NOW. Not 15 minutes from now while it's being downloaded off a throttled and limited 3G connection.
What happened when cell phones first became mainstream where all they could do was talk and MAYBE text that were on plans that had LIMITED minutes and texts? Did people bitch this much then about how they have a right to talk and text whenever they want?

You've gotta pay to play. Unlimited Data has been a luxury for many since the early days of smartphones where all they could do is fetch your e-mail and had shitty HTML browsers but times have changed. Carriers are going to charge you for what they think people will use the most and that's now data. If 4 gb of data is not enough for your needs, buy more.

At least with data, you have the option to hop on a wi-fi network and then download at your heart's content. You couldn't do this with old flip phones when it came to talking and texting.

As far as reliable networks go - there is a reason why Verizon is the most expensive. They have, by far, the best network out there. I have never been without data on my VZW smarthphone. Can't say that about my friends with T-Mobile, Sprint, or even ATT in heavily populated areas

Nexus S introduced Gingerbread, Gnex brought ICS, Nexus 7 brought JB. I see no reason why the N7 shouldn't count, it is a Nexus branded device.

I don't think it's likely that Google would usher in a new Nexus device without a new version of android to go with it. Simply put, they don't need to. The Gnex is still a really good phone that I would imagine is still selling well. They can sit tight until the next iteration of android is ready.

Well, because the N7 isn't a phone, just like the Xoom isn't a phone :p (The Xoom is a Nexus device in all but name - the ROM is straight from Google, after all)

But since you mention it, the N7 didn't bring JB. JB's very first appearance was on the Galaxy Nexus, not the N7. The N7 launched at the same time as JB, and shipped with JB, but it didn't *bring* JB as the GN had it first (hence why all the JB reviews are using JB on a Galaxy Nexus and not the N7, as the N7 didn't ship until later).

MicroSD in a phone has no disadvantage and tons of benefits for those who want to use it. I simply don't understand the hate many users and Google seem to have for expandable storage.

Of course it has disadvantages. Google would need to support it, for one. Then there's the hardware cost, making sure it works, testing overhead. It's not a fixed cost part that you can just throw on there. They would also need to make sure the OS supports it well, that the majority of users could actually use it, etc...

Also, you are confusing "it doesn't work well" with "hate" - I'm sure Google would love to add expandable storage if they had the time to get the UI, API's, and developer story right. It just isn't a priority for them at the moment. They can only do so much at once.

1) unlimited
2) reliable
3) moderately fast

then the grand dreams people have about some universal cloud are just an illusion.

Completely false. First, reliability is really already there for most users, so we can throw that one out.

So that lives "unlimited" and "moderately fast". The continued success of mobile browsing, mobile youtube, streaming services like Pandora and Spotify, as well as photo sharing services like Instagram, local searches, mapping, and navagation suggest that, well, those are already here for most users as well.

The cloud is already here, and it's already working for a whole lot of people. Is it good enough for the power users *here* to rely on day to day? Maybe, maybe not. But that's a very different tier of requirements from the general public.

Or for that good ol' car analogy, most people just need a ride that gets from point A to B, and for them the Civic, Corolla, or even Prius works great. For some of us here, those cars are far from providing an acceptable driving experience and/or comfort.

You people are going to have some very serious regrets about moving everything to the cloud. Of course by then it will be far too late.

It doesn't look like A15 will make mainstream by the end of the year, and since availability is a concern, I'd venture a guess and say it's going to be awfully similar to the GS3.

GS3 in GNex form factor; I'd buy it.

This thread was meant to be about hardware, not services. Please stay on topic.

Carriers don't lose money by offering unlimited data - countless studies have shown that no matter what their data plan, people tend to consume the same amount of data. Even on unlimited, they already cut off users who tether or abuse the system.

The only reason for removing unlimited plans is to make more money by 1) forcing people to buy more expensive capacity plans and 2) relying on overuse charges

Its yet another version of the texting charges scam.

I was hoping for SAMOLED+ to be ready for the next Nexus, but since the new Note doesn't have it, its starting to look doubtful.

Theres already SLCD2?!?! I thought SLCD was just making a break!

Anyways, I can't say "screw" SAMOLED since I think its fucking badass screen still.

Yeah, the One X and LG's new phone(s) use SLCD2.

I don't care either way, both display techs have their trade-offs. I'm definitely pleased with my Gnex's display, esp. with all the custom kernels that allow you to easily tweak color/contrast settings.

It doesn't look like A15 will make mainstream by the end of the year, and since availability is a concern, I'd venture a guess and say it's going to be awfully similar to the GS3.

GS3 in GNex form factor; I'd buy it.

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming as well. It seems that all the Nexus phones (besides the N1) were based on tech already out earlier that year. The Nexus S was a Galaxy S with more internal storage. The Galaxy Nexus had the same SoC as the Droid 3 and Bionic (albeit a slightly higher model; OMAP 4430 vs 4460 in the Gnex). I would at least home the next one has the S4 Pro in it though, or hopefully the new Exynos dual-core (doubtful though unless Samsung actuallly got LTE to work well with it). It's getting pretty stale seeing Qualcomm have the only SoC out right now that's compatible with LTE here in the states.

I really love the Gnex form factor too. I hope they don't deviate far from it. The only improvement I can think of for it would be to have SD card capability (I can dream :p).

Last edited:
I'm actually debating if I get the new Nexus phone, I currently have the Droid Bionic, I bought it because I wanted 4GLTE tethering when I'm on the road, and yes I pay the dumb tethering tax. (But still have unlimited data which is nice)

The problem being, is it keeps desyncing on 4G, lots of other people have reported the same problem, and here's the kicker, it works fine for days and then starts this up and down crap.

I'm seriously thinking of the Windows Phone for the next phone release...

Yeah, the One X and LG's new phone(s) use SLCD2.

I don't care either way, both display techs have their trade-offs. I'm definitely pleased with my Gnex's display, esp. with all the custom kernels that allow you to easily tweak color/contrast settings.

Interesting, figured it was just a partially improved SLCD on the One X.

Either way, I liked the screen on the One X, but I liked the GS3 screen a little better. Arguing over which one is better is just arguing difference of opinion.

I'm actually debating if I get the new Nexus phone, I currently have the Droid Bionic, I bought it because I wanted 4GLTE tethering when I'm on the road, and yes I pay the dumb tethering tax. (But still have unlimited data which is nice)

There's literally no reason why you need to pay for that tethering fee. FoxFi works great on my friends unrooted Razr Maxx, so I would think it would work just as well on the Bionic. Then you will actually get to use that unlimited data instead of the 2GBs (or whatever the cap is on their tethering plan) they allot for you when you pay that $30 extra a month.

I have never, in the 3 years that I've been constantly active on other phone forums, seen anyone get penalized for using any third party tethering apps on Verizon either. I have also frequently tethered with my Verizon smart phones over the past few years without a peep from Verizon. I highly recommend you drop that plan and use the data you're already paying for.

There's literally no reason why you need to pay for that tethering fee. FoxFi works great on my friends unrooted Razr Maxx, so I would think it would work just as well on the Bionic. Then you will actually get to use that unlimited data instead of the 2GBs (or whatever the cap is on their tethering plan) they allot for you when you pay that $30 extra a month.

I have never, in the 3 years that I've been constantly active on other phone forums, seen anyone get penalized for using any third party tethering apps on Verizon either. I have also frequently tethered with my Verizon smart phones over the past few years without a peep from Verizon. I highly recommend you drop that plan and use the data you're already paying for.

It's unlimited data via tethering too. There is no 2GB limit if you were grandfathered in on the 4G plans...

I know foxfi and the other applications work, I'm just not willing to take the risk of losing my unlimited data via tethering, I use it for work.

The FCC has banned VZW from charging for tethering for all 4G phones. Part of the deal VZW agreed to when they acquired the spectrum was that they could not charge anything extra for what you did with the data.

If you have a VZW 4G phone and you are paying for tethering, you are getting ripped off

The FCC has banned VZW from charging for tethering for all 4G phones. Part of the deal VZW agreed to when they acquired the spectrum was that they could not charge anything extra for what you did with the data.

If you have a VZW 4G phone and you are paying for tethering, you are getting ripped off

Only if on a limited plan. If you're on unlimited, you have to pay.

Back