Any new games like freelancer comin out?

MrSatan

Limp Gawd
I love freelancer. Space combat with multiplayer is an excellent combo. Anyone know of a new game like freelancer comin out? Also its too bad that the pc is laking in good single player rpgs. Hopefully this year turns out a little nicer than last.

Ironically, I'm playing Freelancer on my other computers while typing this. Traveling to a far waypoint. Heh. I would really like another game to come out like this also. Nothing coming I've heard of though.

-zac

GrumpusVonPuffyB said:
if you havent, get escape velocity. its packed full of space RPG.
www.ambrosiasw.com

Looks good. The last space sim/rpg I played was Tachyon. How long did it take for you guys to complete Freelancer? Is the game starlancer its predecessor, or is it a completely different game?

if you're jonsing for a sci-fi rpg and if you like system schock than you might wish to look towards 'BIOSHOCk". Some oldiers that are similar to freelancer are the two old Privateer games.
sadly, there is a shortage of decent rpgs and even more that are sci-fi-ish. why is every crpg game fantasy based?

I loved Escape Velocity and EV: Override on my mac back in the day, and I love EV: Nova. I wish ambrosia would port Slithereens :mad:

Freelancer was such a great game. Not overly complex, more Arcade then anything but there was a fair bti of depth if you wanted to get right into it.

CrazyBomber said:
You guys played X2: The Threat?

http://www.enlight.com/x2/

It's like freelancer but much better, really. And great gfx too :)
It came with my 6800GT :D

I'd heard the same, however upon trying it, I found it ALOT "heavier" than Freelancer.. I personally liked Freelancer because it was a nice light, easy to get into game..

-Mavvy911

I didn't like X2. The first mission was nothing more than find the way point, wait, go through the portal...find the next way point...wait. Second mission just like the first :) While X2 is beautiful in terms of graphics....it sucks in terms of "fast fun".

If you want a nice long open ended space game with trading and combat then X2 is great. But if you want something with a bit more structure and pace then X2 is NOT it. It took me a freaking 1/2 in the second mission of X2 just to bascially somewhat "start" the mission. No fighting...just click and wait.

I really liked how freelancer "felt". Just enough tempo to make it fun but enough easter eggs and options to give it depth.

-tReP

CrazyBomber said:
You guys played X2: The Threat?

http://www.enlight.com/x2/

It's like freelancer but much better, really. And great gfx too :)
It came with my 6800GT :D

I like X2: The Threat. Unless you are a die-hard fan of this type of game, you may not have the patience for it. The Economy is A LOT more indepth and it has a huge learning curve to it. One thing I really like is the fact that you can command a whole fleet of ships at once.

I like how you just have your one ship in freelancer. Keeps it simple and adds that lone ranger feel too it.

i would love to see a sequal to freelancer, that game rocked. i just hope they add in full cities that you can explore instead of just having a small bar. and definately more side quests that you can find by just exploring in space.

wow, how funny is it that I just reninstalled freelancer yesterday and then I find this thread today? lol

Anyway, freelancer is great... be sure to get the Rebalance Mod 3.5 for it. Really adds to the level of gameplay incredibly.

I hated X2, the learning curve was TOO much. It was just too complicated to really get into. The increased options were nice, but a better interface was sorely needed to add to the appeal of the game. One of the reason I loved Freelancer so much was it's easy to use interface. X2 was the exact opposite, like it went out of it's way to make things hard for you.

well that's my two bits.

Also since freelancer is an older game you can really crank the resolution. Only bad part is having to manually force AA/AF. However the game looks pretty smooth at 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF. Just need to make a profile for it.

Trepidati0n said:
Also since freelancer is an older game you can really crank the resolution. Only bad part is having to manually force AA/AF. However the game looks pretty smooth at 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF. Just need to make a profile for it.

does anyone notice the text spacing gets screwed up if you play at 1600x1200?

Jeriko_Cherry said:
does anyone notice the text spacing gets screwed up if you play at 1600x1200?

1600x1200 is a streched resolution tho correct? So any fonts that are designed for a certain width, in this case would appear skewed.

bonkrowave said:
1600x1200 is a streched resolution tho correct? So any fonts that are designed for a certain width, in this case would appear skewed.

it's the same ratio as 1024x768 :confused:

X2 is an excellent game saddled with the world's worst interface since Universal Combat (which is the GUI of the devil himself). If those crazy Germans would just let me use a conventional mouse pointer to navigate the menus, and remap keys, it would be amazing. As it is I've nearly worn out my joystick's nipple button and am considering dragging out the old Xkeys macro keypad.

Still, for all those flaws there's something to be said for jumping into a fighter and leading a squadron, backed up by your own fleet of battleships.

Othersider said:
X2 is an excellent game saddled with the world's worst interface since Universal Combat (which is the GUI of the devil himself). If those crazy Germans would just let me use a conventional mouse pointer to navigate the menus, and remap keys, it would be amazing. As it is I've nearly worn out my joystick's nipple button and am considering dragging out the old Xkeys macro keypad.

Still, for all those flaws there's something to be said for jumping into a fighter and leading a squadron, backed up by your own fleet of battleships.

Nipple button ... I assume you mean hat switch ?

I just picked this game up at Gamestop - been looking for it for a while and never found it before but after installing it stated that it couldn't find my 3D device (currently an Ati built Radeon 9800 Pro) and it asked if I wanted to continue - anybody else have this problem?

Other than that, it appears to be running ok - I hope this game rocks!

polydiol said:
I just picked this game up at Gamestop - been looking for it for a while and never found it before but after installing it stated that it couldn't find my 3D device (currently an Ati built Radeon 9800 Pro) and it asked if I wanted to continue - anybody else have this problem?

Other than that, it appears to be running ok - I hope this game rocks!

Not a problem, just another case of MS assuming they're smarter than the user and making paranoid "wizards" for everything. Hit continue and play away!

Online multiplayer is where it is at. This game rules online it is so fun blastin with a friend. If you guys still play we should jump on the same server.

Back