any network experts out there got any ideas on this

sparks

2[H]4U
thruput on a netgear 550 neo media server on my network.
At first I was blaming all my gear and it was just me then I started to see more and more people having the same problem.
the netgear 550 is a 10/100 ethernet device

for a baseline I plugged the netgear 550 media server directly to the dlink 321 nas and I get avg of 80Mb Mb thruput using the netgear network test.
I take both of these and plug both of them into a trendnet gigabit S8 switch and my transfers drop to 17-22Mb test and stuttering on the movies.
Last try was going to my gigabit router with both same thing 20-22Mb on the test and stuttering on all movies.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

after hearing that there are problems with a gigabit switch I used an old linksys router 10/100 and getting 60+Mb thruput on the netgear test.

Right now I am seeing people who have no problems
some of these were not quite as helpful since they did not say what they were doing or what thruput they got.
====
I have the NeoTV550 and my unRAID server plugged into a TrendNet TEG-S80G switch and it works great.
8 port Airlink Gb switch > Neo550
=====

then others with Very HIGH END NAS and switches seeing the same problems I am.
here was the last person do do a lot of testing and posted this

Finally I changed the MTU on the NAS from its default (1500) to 1492. My speed went from 30 to 60+. I don’t claim this is a “solution” as obviously 1500 should cause a 50% drop in throughput (but it does with mine). Since 1500 is a perfectly valid default non-jumbo MTU I suspect my switch may be the problem and that inserting / swapping it for a 10/100 switch may be "correcting" the probem. I will continue to play with this but for now things are much better with the MTU set at 1492.

would the mtu have anything to do with this?
I thought 1492 was pppoe packet size.

overall I keep saying that netgear was having major problems with smb thruput on the neo and there was a switch in the early firmware to select nfs or smb.
In later firmware this switch was removed and it is not autosensing and the updates say smb thruput has been increased.

I am guessing some type of hack and some switches just won’t cooperate with this.

thruput on a netgear 550 neo media server on my network.
At first I was blaming all my gear and it was just me then I started to see more and more people having the same problem.
the netgear 550 is a 10/100 ethernet device

for a baseline I plugged the netgear 550 media server directly to the dlink 321 nas and I get avg of 80Mb Mb thruput using the netgear network test.
I take both of these and plug both of them into a trendnet gigabit S8 switch and my transfers drop to 17-22Mb test and stuttering on the movies.
Last try was going to my gigabit router with both same thing 20-22Mb on the test and stuttering on all movies.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

after hearing that there are problems with a gigabit switch I used an old linksys router 10/100 and getting 60 Mb thruput on the netgear test.

Right now I am seeing people who have no problems
some of these were not quite as helpful since they did not say what they were doing or what thruput they got.
====
I have the NeoTV550 and my unRAID server plugged into a TrendNet TEG-S80G switch and it works great.
8 port Airlink Gb switch > Neo550
=====

then others with Very HIGH END NAS and switches seeing the same problems I am.
here was the last person do do a lot of testing and posted this

Finally I changed the MTU on the NAS from its default (1500) to 1492. My speed went from 30 to 60 . I don¡¯t claim this is a ¡°solution¡± as obviously 1500 should cause a 50% drop in throughput (but it does with mine). Since 1500 is a perfectly valid default non-jumbo MTU I suspect my switch may be the problem and that inserting / swapping it for a 10/100 switch may be "correcting" the probem. I will continue to play with this but for now things are much better with the MTU set at 1492.

would the mtu have anything to do with this?
I thought 1492 was pppoe packet size.

overall I keep saying that netgear was having major problems with smb thruput on the neo and there was a switch in the early firmware to select nfs or smb.
In later firmware this switch was removed and it is not autosensing and the updates say smb thruput has been increased.

I am guessing some type of hack and some switches just won¡¯t cooperate with this.
obviously you have the automatic mtu discovery disabled. 1500 setting resulted to it becoming fragmented leading to the speed drop.

Back