Any mods been done to fit ATX Power Supply into 5.25" Drive Bays?

DualAmdMp

Limp Gawd
I always wanted to fit a power supply in there. I dont understand why no PSU manufacturer ever made a power supply that will fits two 5.25" drive bays:confused:

Do you know of any mods online to fit PSU into 5.25" drive bays?

Yes...I know capacitors are dangerous when charged.

well i think i see one reason it has not been done

5.25" bay

atx powersupply = 5.9" wide :rolleyes:

i see a problem with fitment there...

Most just stock em on their side in the bays, and zip tie in place.

Some of the better case makes (Lian li, Mountainmods) put spaces for 2 PSU's in the back :-D

5.25" bay
Although it's called a 5.25 inch bay it's actually 5.75 inches wide unfortunately that is still slightly too narrow for a standard ATX PSU.

So to fit a normal PC PSU in there you are going to have to mod either the PSU or the case. Details of doing this will be either PSU (for the former option) or case (for the latter option) specific.

There are dedicated drive bay PSUs out there (though the ones i've seen were only for a single drive bay) but afaict they are generally shit.

edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
I have seen several mods for this back in the day when cases weren't as well equipped. Mostly what people did was remove the mounting sides to the top 5.25" bay and slide the psu in there. When doing this it is important to make sure you still have proper stability to the bottom 5.25" bay for your DVD/CDROM drive. Some people would add a cross mount piece, which they used to 1) maintain stability for the bottom 5.25" bays and 2) something to rest the PSU on. You also need to weld or attach a plate to screw the PSU into so it doesn't slide out into the case. Also make sure you have enough clearance between the PSU and the motherboard.

I have seen several mods for this back in the day when cases weren't as well equipped. Mostly what people did was remove the mounting sides to the top 5.25" bay and slide the psu in there. When doing this it is important to make sure you still have proper stability to the bottom 5.25" bay for your DVD/CDROM drive. Some people would add a cross mount piece, which they used to 1) maintain stability for the bottom 5.25" bays and 2) something to rest the PSU on. You also need to weld or attach a plate to screw the PSU into so it doesn't slide out into the case. Also make sure you have enough clearance between the PSU and the motherboard.

That is helpful. I already started the mod and working on PSU case that will fit nicely. I will attach some pictures soon. I cant decide whether i want the psu fan to blow inside the pc case or the outside. I'm using 380W PSU.

Typically you want the PSU to bow outside the case since the PSU can generate a lot of heat, you don't want to dump that heat inside the case. This is also why you don't typically see people doing this kind of mod anymore, because current cases can handle multiple PSU's pretty well, or they just get larger single PSUs.

I don't get what the point of putting a power supply there is in the first point?

I don't get what the point of putting a power supply there is in the first point?

There's some potential there for better wire management and heck customizing PC's to make them the way you want is a time honored tradition. You will absolutely have to make sure your airflow is setup right though.

jacobsparts has the Onyx Pro for $25 shipped, designed to mount the power supply vertically in front, an old all steel no wire management case.
Only one HHD mount as I recall.
Would theoretically allow a long video card, maybe.
This is a must mod case unless used for a low power build.. [crazy laughter fades.. I bought one once]

Back