• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any Mac Server Techies out there ?

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
6,163
Are there any mac server techs on this forum ? I got some questions, but no point in creating a thread if there are no mac techs on here.

J'
 
Any of you setup a ical server from scratch yet ? Looks pretty easy but wanted to ask questions.

I know its a pain in the ass on 10.5.

I have a client that just bought a WAY over powered box to setup ical file sharing a personal ftp server ( internally accessible only for his Brother MFP for scanning ) and a web server. NO mail server yay!

He is also using a airport extreme for all this.

He wants to be able to access his ical from his ipad and all 6 of their macbook pros and desktops.

He also wants to use AFP for transferring files, so i was thinking about setting up the vpn feature on his server for them to connect to. OR i put a untangle / ( something else ) in front of his server / network for protection & vpn unit.

I have a 10.5 server but its different than 10.6.
 
I'm sorry to say that I can't help much regarding the iCal server, though I've attempted to get it working on my test VM (and I'd be closer if I decided to point my machine to the server's DNS, but I can't do that at the moment) however I haven't gotten it yet. -- I ended up skimming This Document
 
I'm sorry to say that I can't help much regarding the iCal server, though I've attempted to get it working on my test VM (and I'd be closer if I decided to point my machine to the server's DNS, but I can't do that at the moment) however I haven't gotten it yet. -- I ended up skimming This Document

you got it running in a vm on a pc or mac ?

I can only run the 10.5 because i have a g4 1.4 mac mini, so i can't use the legit copy of 10.6 unless i figure out how to install it in a esxi box or vm of some sort.
 
you got it running in a vm on a pc or mac ?

I can only run the 10.5 because i have a g4 1.4 mac mini, so i can't use the legit copy of 10.6 unless i figure out how to install it in a esxi box or vm of some sort.

The VM is on my MacBook Pro running VMware Fusion.

Is that client's box in production for other uses yet?
 
The VM is on my MacBook Pro running VMware Fusion.

Is that client's box in production for other uses yet?

nope, its on line but not configured yet, its a brand new machine.

I told him all he needed was a mac mini server but nooooo, :) he goes out and buys a dual quad core mac pro with 12 gigs ram and 4 2tb drives. lol! with osx 10.6 server.

So now i need to start configuring it remotely.

I have the domain and dns setup already and the default webserver to show that it's on line etc etc ( will get replaced with another webpage soon )
 
nope, its on line but not configured yet, its a brand new machine.

I told him all he needed was a mac mini server but nooooo, :) he goes out and buys a dual quad core mac pro with 12 gigs ram and 4 2tb drives. lol! with osx 10.6 server.

So now i need to start configuring it remotely.

I have the domain and dns setup already and the default webserver to show that it's on line etc etc ( will get replaced with another webpage soon )

I love when they do that (as long as it's not my money! ;) )

I would always do some messing around with the desktops and servers before getting down to business. Get it to work while documenting, reformat, duplicate without all the messing around I did to get it working to start.

You could always try convincing them to get a copy of VMware Fusion to make a test environment too (why waste all that hardware? :D )
 
I love when they do that (as long as it's not my money! ;) )

I would always do some messing around with the desktops and servers before getting down to business. Get it to work while documenting, reformat, duplicate without all the messing around I did to get it working to start.

You could always try convincing them to get a copy of VMware Fusion to make a test environment too (why waste all that hardware? :D )

will vmware fustion run osx server tho :)
 
will vmware fustion run osx server tho :)

Yes, that's a supported configuration running on Apple hardware (and that's the only version of OS X supported):

fusion_osx.png


It runs really smooth too, even with just a gig of Ram on the 2-year old MBP

It's still annoying that you can't use ESX/vSphere/Anything not running on an Intel Mac, though
 
kinda not helpful for me tho, i'm not going to leave my macbook pro running for a server environment lol !
 
i've gone through this setup a few times.
PM me if you have any specific q's or issues.
 
Back
Top