Any LOTRO players out there?

Chakachim

Limp Gawd
Hello All, Im tired of warcraft and am looking into other games, does anyone out there play LOTRO and have a spare buddy pass?

I didn't know people still played LOTRO. Have you tried EVE Online or Warhammer Online? Both are very good MMO's in their own right.

I have a buddy key to pass along. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send it your way.

I've been thinking of playing this as a first MMO. I like the background lore, and I hear it's more story driven than most MMO's, especially with the Mines of Moria expansion. The smaller groups also appeal to me. Any opinions on the game, good or bad?

I've been thinking of playing this as a first MMO. I like the background lore, and I hear it's more story driven than most MMO's, especially with the Mines of Moria expansion. The smaller groups also appeal to me. Any opinions on the game, good or bad?

It's easily one of the more successful and well ran MMO's on the market. I don't think it brings a lot new to the table, in the end its your typical MMO experience. The game does tend to be more story driven than others. There are certain quest, dubbed chapter quest, that follow an ongoing story and culminate into a grand finale. Many of the group quest don't require a full group and can be done with a competent three people. You will still find those along the way though that require a full group of six people though. In the end its an enjoyable experience if you're interested in the lore and allow yourself to become engrossed in the experience. If you don't then the game is no different than any other MMO "grind" and you will become bored quickly.

I have a couple of spare buddy keys. If you want to try out the game for yourself, which is really the best idea, then send me a PM with your email.

Heres my beef with lotro...

They want to try to stick to this middle earth lore right? There were not any acid spitting lizards in the books!

So you may say : "Well they cant make it 100% traditional Middle Earth based off the books!"

Well then add some epic stuff in there! Everything just looks too bland!

If you have the hardware for its higher video settings, LOTRO has some very immersive graphics. I remember I used to just stare at scenery sometimes, drooling. :p

I recently started playing and am enjoying it very much, have tried many mmo's since I quit eq years ago and feel this one is the best so far. I recommend you give it a try. Download the high texture install, very nice graphics in this game.

Heres my beef with lotro...

They want to try to stick to this middle earth lore right? There were not any acid spitting lizards in the books!

So you may say : "Well they cant make it 100% traditional Middle Earth based off the books!"

Well then add some epic stuff in there! Everything just looks too bland!

Turbine readily admits they cannot stay 100% true to the books as there isn't sufficient material in them for a MMO.

Clearly this isn't the game for you, although I'm not sure what is more epic then taking out the Balrog. :)

I play lotro... I don't have a buddy pass though... but it's a very fun game imo.

Here is my complaint with LOTRO....I recently gave it a real shot and played for over 2 months. When I needed help with a quest, nobody was around to help (happened many times). The population is too low to feel alive like WoW. WoW may have some annoying kids but there are also alot of mature players who can be a great help with quests or doing instance run.

On the other hand, the lore and graphics engine are great in LOTRO. It was just hard to play it after spending a couple of years in WoW.

I play on Landroval and there are always people around to help on that server... or so it seems... but I can see how WoW would have an edge in this dept for sure.. I guess joining a kinship might help alleviate not having people around to help..

I just renewed my subscription with the Mines of Moria expansion. Havent played in almost a year, but I did upgrade my video card from a 9700gtx to a radeon 4870 and all I can say is the game looks freakin sweet.
Started a fresh character and I've been able to find lots of help whenever I've needed it. Some servers are less populated than others(I think someone else said that too.)
If anyone wants a buddy key PM me, I think I have one to give out.

I play lotro just hit level 57 the other night ,i canceled when i got bored @ 50 came back for mines of moria, its pretty sweet. But i'm in a good Kin and that helps when it comes to quests, instances etc.. if ur not in a good kin(Guild) in lotro you are SOL.

It looks fun and the story is definitely something I am interested in. However I dont have the spare money to pay monthly with my little free time. So I stick to GW.

If I were to branch out this and Eve online look like to two that I would try first.

I just renewed my subscription with the Mines of Moria expansion. Havent played in almost a year, but I did upgrade my video card from a 9700gtx to a radeon 4870 and all I can say is the game looks freakin sweet.
Started a fresh character and I've been able to find lots of help whenever I've needed it. Some servers are less populated than others(I think someone else said that too.)
If anyone wants a buddy key PM me, I think I have one to give out.

yeah, I recently went to vista64 and wow, in DX10 mode on ultra settings, this game is drool worthy... the dynamic shadows add quite a bit to the game.. water reflections also look a lot more real now.. especially in the shire, looking in the river at night seeing the lighted window reflections and such... it's very pretty!

I play lotro just hit level 57 the other night ,i canceled when i got bored @ 50 came back for mines of moria, its pretty sweet. But i'm in a good Kin and that helps when it comes to quests, instances etc.. if ur not in a good kin(Guild) in lotro you are SOL.

That hasn't been my experience. Been playing since beta and leveled 3 toons to 50 (working on 60) and was in a kin for 1 week the whole time. Plenty of PUGs to choose from. My problem is I usually don't have enough room for everyone when I put out a call for a fellowship (group). I am on Brandywine, so can't speak for other servers.

Anyone else have an extra Buddy Key? Was thinking of picking this up in February but wouldn't mind giving it a try first.

Also any server suggestions would be appreciated. I would be playing casually most of the time with a few hardcore sessions as life permits.

Send a PM

Thanks.

Yeah Brandywine is easily the most heavily populated server. You'll have no problem finding others to play with there.

I played for a few months back near release... but I've long since forgotten my account information. I wouldn't mind checking it out again, if anyone still has a spare buddy key... if someone could PM me one, I'd really appreciate it. On that note, I've got several WoW buddy keys if anyone needs one. Thanks!

I didn't know people still played LOTRO. Have you tried EVE Online or Warhammer Online? Both are very good MMO's in their own right.

way to be an asshole and a dumbass at the same time.

There are more LOTRO players than ever, gane us growing. This game has more subs than EVE and has one of the best PVE gameplay....
If anybody wants a buddy invitite, pm me.

I played a trial of WoW for about 2 days. Hated it. I played AoC for about 2 months. Never could get into it though. I just finished leveling my first toon on LotRO to 5 and Im hooked! I have an extra pass if anyone wants one.

I would love to try out LOTRO if anyone is kind enough to spare an invite. Currently in the search for some rpg action to fill my free time up, which is not all that much though.

Can LOTRO be enjoyed semi-casually ?

Anyway, if anyone could let me try the game for myself, I would be glad to :)

That's not true on my server. Firefoot always has awesome pugs to run anything, you do not need to be in a kin even really.
I would love to try out LOTRO if anyone is kind enough to spare an invite. Currently in the search for some rpg action to fill my free time up, which is not all that much though.

Can LOTRO be enjoyed semi-casually ?

Anyway, if anyone could let me try the game for myself, I would be glad to :)

Ya, one of the only MMO's that does not make it a grind to level cap, you actually enjoy your journey there.

I just started playing LOTRO this past week or so. So far I would have to say I like it overall. I am playing a Elf Hunter on the Brandywine server and just made lvl 21. Would any of you LOTRO players recommend joing in a kinship?

I am on Landroval and have several chars

Helios (elf, hunter)
Bubo (hobbit, minstrel)
Thimbledor (human, champion)
Mystryll (elf, rune keeper) <-- playing her mostly atm
Mynnyn (human, warden)
Lyndee (human, burglar)

I joined a kinship but don't party up with them all the time.. I tend to find pugs when I need to do fellowship quests... but I am always down to hook up with any fellow [H]ers on Landroval for some ass kickery. lemme know if you wanna...

Taking a break from LOTRO right now, but it is a fun game. I got stuck in a rud and can't seem to pull myself together.

I too got stuck in a rut but once i figured out that there is a whole world besides Moria that wasnt underground I started to enjoy it again....

it can for sure suck your free time dry.. and for what? stats in some virtual world.. it's not real! (I keep telling myself) and yet it is still very fun... but I am thinking about all the other stuff I could do with my time... not all of my chars are very developed, but I have one at 51 and three others at 30+ .... I know people with 8 chars which are all 50+ and supreme masters in all crafting trades... I wanna go "WTF do get the time for this??"... well, my one friend who has completed all of the crafting trades in the game is married without children.. and gets a lot of time off, so I guess he just games in 100% of his spare time... I can personally only do it a couple nights a week and one day on the weekend.

PS: I also prefer the out doors areas to Moria...

Back