• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any Last Comments Before I Buy?

Tiger69

n00b
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
18
Hey, i just thought id post the components before i buy them in a week or 2 to see what y'all have to say about them. Lets hope there's no major problems with my choice of stuff?

SilverStone Strider 600W
ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 X2 4800+
Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Corsair Twin X2048 - 3200LL Pro
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB OC
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Music
NEC ND-4551A
Plextor PX-130A 16X/50X
Sony Black 3½" Floppy
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA II
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA II
Thermaltake Armor VA8000 (Black)
Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band
Arctic Silver 5 3.5g
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
Vantec Nexus NXP 305 Fan Controller
Akasa AK-TK-01 Cable Tidy Kit
Akasa Rounded Floppy Cable (0.45m)
Akasa Rounded IDE Cable (0.45m)
Akasa Rounded IDE Cable (0.90m)

Gonna be buying these components in a week or 2 so i need replies quick. Thanks alot every1, no doubt ull be of immense help as usual =)

Tiger69.
 
Your over paying for a cpu You could get an Optron 170 and save alot of money.
But other then that it looks pretty good.
 
From what I understand that motherboard does NOT fit 2 dual slot video cards and leave enough room for a pci sound card. Its pretty much the only reason I didnt buy it and went with the a8n sli with the passive NB cooler(I forget, either prem or deluxe), though I have also heard of people "jamming" them all in there as well. So if your going to be looking at SLI at some point its something to consider, hopefully asus releases a version with better pci slot placement.

Also I've heard speak of problems with Nforce4 chipsets and diamondmax hard drives, might wanna look into.

Lastly I just dumped my mx510 mouse which I think is the same shape of the G5 for a razor copperhead and I like the feel A LOT better then the logitech. The logitech hurts my pinky finger after a while of gaming because I like to use my fingers to guide the mouse rather then my entire hand palm and all.

Other then that looks fine, though I agree about the overpaying on that CPU.
 
Oh i wasnt aware of the PCI problem you mention. I do agree the layout of the pci slots could be alot better, but i was under the impression that if u have two gfx cards on this board then that still leaves a PCI slot free which i was going to use for the sound card. I dont understand how there could be problems - surely the gfx card is designed to fit into the two pci slots it takes up so that it dont overlap into surrounding PCI cards? Ill look into it when i get home from work. The A8N Premium doesnt have this problem does it?? See i wanted the A8N32 because the gfx cards both run at 16x. I dont often upgrade or buy a new system so i thought this was great way to future proof myself. Thanks for the heads up m8. Might not be able to get the A8n32 neways coz i need to build this thing between 14th and 23rd of jan and there's nowhere in the Uk that has them in stock yet =(

About the processor, im hoping that the X2 5000 will come out before i buy it and hopeflly that will reduce the price of it. And if not ahh well, sure im paying £500 for a 512MB gfx card, may aswell get a nice juicy processor to go with it.

Thanks,
Tiger69
 
Tiger69 said:
Hey, i just thought id post the components before i buy them in a week or 2 to see what y'all have to say about them. Lets hope there's no major problems with my choice of stuff?

SilverStone Strider 600W
ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 X2 4800+
Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Corsair Twin X2048 - 3200LL Pro
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB OC
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Music
NEC ND-4551A
Plextor PX-130A 16X/50X
Sony Black 3½" Floppy
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA II
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA II
Thermaltake Armor VA8000 (Black)
Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band
Arctic Silver 5 3.5g
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
Vantec Nexus NXP 305 Fan Controller
Akasa AK-TK-01 Cable Tidy Kit
Akasa Rounded Floppy Cable (0.45m)
Akasa Rounded IDE Cable (0.45m)
Akasa Rounded IDE Cable (0.90m)

Gonna be buying these components in a week or 2 so i need replies quick. Thanks alot every1, no doubt ull be of immense help as usual =)

Tiger69.

Wow that is some beefy hardware. Everything looks amazing. Instead of the 80gb hd why dont you get a raptor? I know its not really cost effective but when your paying that much for a cpu and gpu the raptor's cost is like a drop in the pond.
 
wow...nice set-up...but why dont you wait for the new gen cards which are reported to come out in february...what card do you have right now?
 
thx. I have an nVidia Gefore 4 MX40o =( I have waited for the dual core processors to come, out aswell as the 512MB gfx cards... i cant keep waiting for new technology otherwise ill never get a new computer. I desperately need a new comp now so im just gonna try to get the best of what i can get (within reason) of the technology thats out now. Maybe if these new gen cards prove to be a big step up, then maybe later in the year ill sell the 7800GTX and get one of the new ones.

Ive heard that the SATA II hdds are nearly as fast as the SATA I raptors coz they have double the transfer speed. Ive also heard they're loud. In your honest opionion... would it be worth the extra £40 odd to get a 34.7GB raptor over an 80GB SATA II drive?? Im not too sure.

Thanks,
Tiger69.
 
Good setup.

I would change HDD's though. Maxtor's run more hot and loud then the other guys.

I would suggest Seagate and Samsung.
 
id go with a sli 256mb 7800gtx instead of the one 512mb one and maybe get a slower cpu liek the opt 170 and overclock it
 
Back
Top