Any iPhone experts here?

yadnom

Limp Gawd
I have a question on upgrading iOS on the iPhone.

iPhone 3G running iOS 3.0.1. I want to upgrade it to 3.1.3 but from what I've been reading, iTunes won't let you do that because it checks back with apple and you can only put the latest version of iOS on it. I'm trying to avoid 4.x as I've been reading that it sometimes slows down iPhone 3Gs.

Am I just reading stuff wrong? Is it possible to still put 3.1.3 on the phone?

Jailbreaking is not a possibility with this phone.

Also does upgrading, whether to 3.1.3 or to 4.x, wipe the phone or does it retain data? (contacts, etc..)

Thanks.

Hello,

I am an iphone developer.

You can't avoid iOS4 as far as I know without jailbreaking. Last summer iOS4 had some issues but most of them have been fixed in iOS4.2 that was released last november.

Upgrading doesn't wipe the data, and if you are really scared you can do a backup from itunes, then a restore after.

Thanks for the response.

I guess I'll just have to talk to the owner and tell him his only upgrade option would be to 4.2.

Can't downgrade iOS either from what I'm reading. Hopefully this will work for him.

Thanks again.

Now wait I thought you should hold shift and click restore in itunes to point it to whatever firmware you want to restore it to. All you'd have to do is find the firmware .ipsw file you want such as 3.1.3 and restore to that.

Now wait I thought you should hold shift and click restore in itunes to point it to whatever firmware you want to restore it to. All you'd have to do is find the firmware .ipsw file you want such as 3.1.3 and restore to that.

If you download the 3.1.3 OS you may be able to put it on that way. Just hafta put the phone in DFU mode and use RecBoot to kick it out of DFU once the upgrade is done.

However, going this route you'll lose all your contacts and SMS history, since you can't apply your 3.0 backup to your new 3.1.3 install.

DO NOT let iOS4 touch that 3G. You'll regret it.

If you download the 3.1.3 OS you may be able to put it on that way. Just hafta put the phone in DFU mode and use RecBoot to kick it out of DFU once the upgrade is done.

However, going this route you'll lose all your contacts and SMS history, since you can't apply your 3.0 backup to your new 3.1.3 install.

DO NOT let iOS4 touch that 3G. You'll regret it.

It may be worthwhile for the OP who knows. I know that iOS4 slows down the 3G but man honestly the difference wasnt THAT big for my dad when I put it from 3.1.3 to 4.2.1. Just my two cents

Couple things...

1. 4.2 reportedly runs slowly on 3g's but runs fine on 3gs's. All of my and my friends' 3gs's run perfectly fine with 4.2. There was negligible difference between them and my ip4.

2. You can not download any past ipsw's and use them on your [3GS] phone unless you have saved your shsh blobs. You would have to have been jail broken before the os upgrade...that is, you must save the blobs when apple is still signing them. Once apple stops signing the os you can never save the blobs for that particular os version. Once you save your blob through Cydia then it will perpetually save all following os blobs without any action on your part.

(it is no longer possible to put 3.1.3 on [a 3GS] phone)

Last edited:
It may be worthwhile for the OP who knows. I know that iOS4 slows down the 3G but man honestly the difference wasnt THAT big for my dad when I put it from 3.1.3 to 4.2.1. Just my two cents

It can also be somewhat hit or miss as to whether it totally fucks your phone, with the odds leaning towards "Your phone is fucked". That, or all the folks spouting "MY 3G RUNS GREEEAAATT WITH OS4!!!" were too busy going down on steve jobs to notice the fact that their iphone 3G's were suddenly eating shit.

OP, it's up to you. How slow can your 3G owner go, that's really the only question here; it'll either bother the shit out of him or it won't.

If he still has a 3G might I suggest researching possibilities of upgrades? I know I got my dad an iPhone 3G because it was the easiest smartphone for me to teach him but they have some good deals on Window Phone 7's now and the GUI is simple like the iOS

(it is no longer possible to put 3.1.3 on that phone)

It should still be possible if he DL's the 3.1.3 from somewhere...that's how I did it.

However, like I said earlier, he'll lose EVERYTHING on the phone, other than pics and music that can be saved to itunes then re-synced...That's just apple's way of paving the road to the future with bricks made out of once-satisfied customer's phones.

It should still be possible if he DL's the 3.1.3 from somewhere...that's how I did it.

However, like I said earlier, he'll lose EVERYTHING on the phone, other than pics and music that can be saved to itunes then re-synced...That's just apple's way of paving the road to the future with bricks made out of once-satisfied customer's phones.
The only way you could have gone backwards in firmwares if if your SHSH blobs were saved somewhere. Perhaps you have a refurbished phone, then the previous owner saved your phone's blobs and you got lucky. I'm not sure why you would have downgraded to 3.1.3, though because if you can do that you might as well downgrade to 3.1.2 and use blackra1n instead of spirit. So that makes me suspect that you didn't actually downgrade to 3.1.3.

I mean people can believe whatever they feel, but if you could just downgrade without having your SHSH blobs saved then people would simply do that whenever they got a new phone and needed to unlock their phones. They can't because they can't downgrade. All this stuff is easily found on google if you don't want to take my word for it.

The only way you could have gone backwards in firmwares if if your SHSH blobs were saved somewhere. Perhaps you have a refurbished phone, then the previous owner saved your phone's blobs and you got lucky. I'm not sure why you would have downgraded to 3.1.3, though because if you can do that you might as well downgrade to 3.1.2 and use blackra1n instead of spirit. So that makes me suspect that you didn't actually downgrade to 3.1.3.

I mean people can believe whatever they feel, but if you could just downgrade without having your SHSH blobs saved then people would simply do that whenever they got a new phone and needed to unlock their phones. They can't because they can't downgrade. All this stuff is easily found on google if you don't want to take my word for it.

Non-refurb phone, and I only jailbroke it once, somewhere around 3.1.2 I think. I never bothered to re-JB it after I put 3.1.3 on it, nor did I JB it after OS4, mainly because I was quite sure that the phone would fucking explode if I tried to do anything more complicated than send a 2 word text message.

I did it, using these instructions here: http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

Pick your firmware from this site: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Grab RecBoot from this site: http://jaxov.com/2010/05/recboot-iphone-recovery-mode/ Make sure it's the version of recboot that doesn't require libUSB.

DL 3.1.3 from iclarified. Follow the lifehacker instructions and install 3.1.3. I did it going backwards from 4.0, not sure if it'll work going forwards but I don't see why not. Just to reiterate: YOU WILL LOSE MOST EVERYTHING ON YOUR IPHONE SO BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU CAN. SAVE PICTURES TO ITUNES AND FIGURE OUT A WAY TO BACK UP YOUR CONTACTS/SMS HISTORY BEFORE YOU DO THIS. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO RESTORE CONTACTS AND SMS FROM ITUNES AFTER DOING THIS.

I'd advise against going to 4.0 then down to 3.1.3. The residual effects of OS4 had my 3G still around the "fucked" level, just not at the "totally fucked" level it was at before I rolled it back.

Edit: Here it is on google if you don't want to take my word for it...
desktop.jpg

Last edited:
An upgrade would be a good option.. especially since you can get a new 3gs from a at&t corporate store for 49 bucks now.

An upgrade would be a good option.. especially since you can get a new 3gs from a at&t corporate store for 49 bucks now.

But how long until the newest and bestest iOS bricks 3Gs's?

OP, if he wants OS4, get an iphone 4 (I can't fucking believe I just said that). The 3Gs is older, and apple has already proven they don't care about customers running hardware that's not the latest and greatest. The option given to me at the apple store to fix my 3G was to buy an iphone 4. Hey fucksticks, I'm still in contract and my phone's out of warranty, and your recommended "fix" for me is to hand over $500 to solve the problem apple created? Get fucked.

Or, he could upgrade to an Android or WP7. Just research your droid options so your friend doesn't get stuck with a phone that doesn't have an upgrade path planned through the carrier (doesn't sound like he's the type to run custom ROMs).

PNut, when you jailbroke it once at 3.1.2, your SHSH blobs are saved through Cydia afterwards for the rest of the iOS versions even if you don't request or install them on your phone. Aside from that I thought he had a 3GS for some reason, which you'll notice is mentioned in the instructions you linked as confirming what I was saying--that Apple required signing for their firmwares so those instructions don't work anymore for 3GS owners. Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit my first response to be more accurate.

I definitely agree with you on not upgrading to 4x with a 3G from what I've heard and read.

PNut, when you jailbroke it once at 3.1.2, your SHSH blobs are saved through Cydia afterwards for the rest of the iOS versions even if you don't request or install them on your phone. Aside from that I thought he had a 3GS for some reason, which you'll notice is mentioned in the instructions you linked as confirming what I was saying--that Apple required signing for their firmwares so those instructions don't work anymore for 3GS owners. Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit my first response to be more accurate.

I definitely agree with you on not upgrading to 4x with a 3G from what I've heard and read.

I'm not trying to be contrarian here, but the link I posted is for the iphne 3G. There's a link on that page directing 3Gs owners to another method of rolling back their phone. Jailbroken or not, DL the OS you want, follow instructions, *poof*, iphone 3G with OS of your choice. I'm not sure if I jailbroke at 3.1.2 or not, it may have been earlier, it certainly wasn't JB at 3.1.3 though, and again not when I "upgraded" to OS4.

It works, I've done it, I found out about the method to roll it back after some guys here at [H] showed me how.

As I wrote earlier, once you jailbroke your phone and saved your SHS blobs they will be saved on Cydia's servers perpetually without your request. If you jailbreak your phone right now and open Cydia you'll see all of the past iOS version blobs as well as the most current up to the beta 42b3.

I suppose that's the best way for you to see for yourself what I'm talking about because you probably haven't installed the beta iOS on your phone but the SHSH blobs will be listed on your Cydia front page.

I don't know why the 3g doesn't need the blobs to downgrade. My initial suspicion is it does and that people who are successfully downgrading are forgetting or don't know that their blobs are saved already. Apple also continues signing the last firmware for a little bit before taking it off. Sometimes it's a few hours, a few days, and once it was a few weeks. You might have been fiddling around with your firmwares during an extended grace period. I wouldn't trust that personally because if you upgrade and can't go back then that's that. Obviously Apple signs their firmwares and checks SHSH blobs for a reason...

As I wrote, there really isn't any point in going back and forth on it. It's a simple thing to download whatever firmware the OP wants to try and then fire up iTunes and watch it complete or fail.

I agree with your last point, but seriously, read the lifehacker article step by step; there's no mention of going to Cydia for anything. I used only itunes and recboot to do it, once I DL'd the firmware I wanted.

As I wrote earlier, once you jailbroke your phone and saved your SHS blobs they will be saved on Cydia's servers perpetually without your request. If you jailbreak your phone right now and open Cydia you'll see all of the past iOS version blobs as well as the most current up to the beta 42b3.

I suppose that's the best way for you to see for yourself what I'm talking about because you probably haven't installed the beta iOS on your phone but the SHSH blobs will be listed on your Cydia front page.

I don't know why the 3g doesn't need the blobs to downgrade. My initial suspicion is it does and that people who are successfully downgrading are forgetting or don't know that their blobs are saved already. Apple also continues signing the last firmware for a little bit before taking it off. Sometimes it's a few hours, a few days, and once it was a few weeks. You might have been fiddling around with your firmwares during an extended grace period. I wouldn't trust that personally because if you upgrade and can't go back then that's that. Obviously Apple signs their firmwares and checks SHSH blobs for a reason...

As I wrote, there really isn't any point in going back and forth on it. It's a simple thing to download whatever firmware the OP wants to try and then fire up iTunes and watch it complete or fail.

Quite spouting nonsense. If you have a 3G iphone you can downgrade all day, only the 3GS needs the shsh, the 3G does not. I have a 3g and know for a fact you can downgrade it to this day without have the shsh. 3GS on the other hand you are fucked, not possible to downgrade unless it was previously JB and you backed up the shsh.

Sheesh not that hard to figure out.

Back