Any input on a cheap office update

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nimisys, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Nimisys

Nimisys [H]ardForum Junkie

looking to update a rig at work, this will be 100% office use. no gaming, not even solitaire. Email, video watching, Office typing, light database usage, etc. will probably stick around in that role for 5 years or more. only requirement is i have to clone the current OS and software install. budget is ~$500-750 USD. current machine sits in a mATX case, with an A6000-series AMD hexcore and Win7. HDD is WD blue 500 GB spinner.

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Processor with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics & Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H mATX

Patriot Signature Line DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2666MHz

Corsair CX Series 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply

Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

Power supply might not be needed, but given the cost and age, i am inclined to acquire. i know the output is overkill, but lower output actually means more money for any decent brand.

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

looks fine, maybe only need 8Gb(2x4) for an office system. yes id go with a new psu. going amd to amd hopefully wont freak out win7.

3. Nimisys

Reason for the high ram amount is user habits, ie leaving chrome open forever and a day, restarts only when windows forces it sort of person. Normal usage sees about 70% committed of it's 6gb currently. Could make do with 8, but rather have more and not have to worry about bad habuts causing headaches.

pendragon1 likes this.
  4. Zareek

Zareek [H]Lite

I would opt for a different MB brand. After my support fiasco with Gigabyte earlier this year, I don't trust them anymore. Also be careful with RAM and the Ryzen chips, they are finicky about it. Looks like someone else had some luck with that kit. I assume your safe then.

5. pendragon1

and I haven't had a Gb product fail, ever, in probably hundreds of systems built. the ram is a good point, so maybe just check reviews on the board you chose and double check the ram qvl, just in case.

6. Nimisys

Turns out power supply will be needed: got a call this morning in it had died.

7. pendragon1

there ya go. the universe answered that question for ya.