any info on this Alienware laptop?

UrbN

Limp Gawd
A good friend of mine is wanting to sell me this alienware m7700, any of you guys have reviews on it? He's wanting to let it go for $1320, so i dont know if it's a good deal, i mean it's a gaming computer, but i'd love to know what you guys think...?

what are the specs?

the 7700 came in 2 platforms well 3 if you count the MJ12 series (which were considered the workstation line) area 51 (intel based) aurora (amd based)

these were also clevo clones (aka sager, voodoo, falcon northwest, hypersonic, etc etc) all used the same model in the past...

historically these machines (both amd & intel versions) used desktop cpu's and have had really bad over heating issues...although there are quite a few that have survived w/ no issues @ all.

also, alienware warranties are non-transferable (whoever tells you different is full of sh!t, and don't believe whatever "crap" about alienware being owned by dell...b/c although that may be true, they are a complete separate entity that do not follow the same warranty practices as dell)

looking @ the price I am almost positive that the 7700 your friend has, is only equipped w/ a 6800...so you might as well use that money for a more up to date laptop, which you will more than likely be happier w/.

also the 7700 is an absolute TANK, they are literally like 12-15 lbs and true DTR's (desktop replacements) w/ little to absolute no battery life and a massive BRICK for a PSU...

so here are few questions you should answer for yourself/ask your friend:

1. how good of a friend is he? ie. would he lie to you about the performance of the machine
2. what are the specs?
3. the 7700's came w/ 6800 ultra, 6800, x800, 7800 go, 7900 go (some people have installed a 7950 go, but that's through an aftermarket)
4. what kind of gaming do you expect to do?

hope that helps, if you have anymore questions, just post them here...but you can find tons & tons of info/reviews over google/the interweb

good luck

save up and buy an m9750...
Thats what I did.. and it Focking ROX

2.0ghz C2D
4GB DDR2
Dual 200gb HDD
7950 GTX 512 (Room for 2 in SLI, DX10 cards comming soon)
17"
DVI & VGA out

Paid 2600$ for it..
Got it just in time to show it off at quakeCon..

Options for Lightscribe and Blueray drives available now..

nice Evil!

that's what I have =P

4gb of ram
100gb
200gb
SLI

runs Bioshock beautifully

I'd avoid it, if I were you. A friend of mine has one and the video card got so hot that it melted the motherboard underneath it. You'd be better off searching for a different model than this one. Something with a mobile processor for sure. Plus this laptop is very heavy. 13lbs plus the power supply which is another 5 pounds or so.

I was lucky with mine. It got fried in an electrical storm earlier this year and my insurance paid for a 9700. I'd highly recommend it if you like AMD processors, or the 9750 if you want intel.

Alienware did offer to repair my friend's 7700. The pricetag is about $800 with no warranty if it happens again.

Back