Any ideas on how to delete this file?

aL Mac

Gawd
So I have a bizarre problem today. I have a folder on my desktop that contains only 1 shortcut. I would like to delete this folder but I can't.

Every time I open the folder and do anything to the file such as delete, copy, right click on, etc.. Windows Explorer crashes. I tried deleting the folder, but it says "recycling" and never deletes. I tried shift+delete to delete it without it going into recycle bin and it says "discovering items" but never deletes the file. I tried deleting the file in a command prompt, and it just blocks indefinitely (just sits there doing nothing until I CTRL+C). I figured it was a file system error so I scheduled a chkdsk and did a restart, it found no errors. Still I cannot delete the folder or the file.

Originally the folder contained several files and another folder. I was having trouble deleting it, but was able to individually delete the files.... except this last one which is the trouble maker.

I dunno what's going on... maybe I should have checked the option in chkdsk to find and fix bad sectors? Would that make sense on a solid state drive? Should I try a 3rd party application? Safe mode? It's not like anything is using the file...

Hmm I'll keep thinking about it.. any ideas?

Ah yeah sry...tired lol.

If all else fails you can try loading from some sort of live CD or mounting the disk onto another machine - gl!

Finally deleted it. When I would restart my computer explorer would crash on start up. I rebooted into safe mode with command prompt and I was able to delete the file and the folder.

Weird. Maybe Explorer crashing (but then reloading just fine) somehow bugged the file?

Back