any ideas for updating 3.5 sp1 .net framework?

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
here's the scenario:

government medical webistes require .net 3.5 sp1 framework... however there are 3 install options... I NEED A BETTER OPTION

1. windows update: sometimes freezes, does not install when trying to update .net 3.5 sp1
2. network distribution option: 200+ mb... and doesn't always transfer
3. the smaller 2-3mb update, that installs the larger update... this update never finishes. microsoft will let it download 6mb then goes back to 1mb and never gets past 5% done

the windows update option is 60mb... anyone know a way to extract this 65mb version to send over the network rather than the 240mb version?

i was being general.

the small 2-3mb file you listed times out. on alot of user machines it will download 6 mb, then go back to 1mb, then go to 6mb... never gets past the 10mb of 200+ to download.

thats an installer for another installer. not the full install itself.

yes there are other problems: slow download speeds. when doing remote support downloading a 250mb download is going to take forever at 50kbs...

the windows update version 60mb is great... when it works. but microsoft windows update might hang/fail then you have to start over.

please anyone... i know the 3 options already.. please post if you have an alternate method thanks! i already know the 2.8mb reistributable but this isn't the actual download, its a download for another download/installer.

anyone want to give an alternate download idea? such as an update extractor?

please stop replying sounds like you have other issues to resolve... that has nothing to do with the fact 230mb > 60mb.

thank you for anyone that can post an alternate idea.

I'm not sure what the issue is, why can't you just download the big file from the site and install that? There are no alternate methods, that's why nobody has posted one.

well for remote phone support time is an issue... if it takes 30 min to download and you have a 13min time goal... 230mb is to much.

i was hoping there was a away to extract the smaller 60mb version only available on windowsupdate.com

2mb version: microsoft created a pos utility that doesnt complete on dozens of machiens accross the country for dozens of companies

230mb: great on fast ISP users, horrible on slow ISP users

windows update: its great if it works but if windows update is ahving issues or the installer freezes you wasted the client's time. however its only 60-70mb large.

so why is windows update version 60mb when the standalone is 230mb? its retarded. was hoping to find a solo version more efficient.

.net 3.5 sp1 is a full cumulative update. It contains updates for .net 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. This may include service packs.

The reason the full install is 230mb is because it's got all of the different versions that somebody may need in it. Using the small bootstrapper or the Windows update version will download only what they don't already have. So, it's possible that if you have a client machine that has NO updates on it, it'll download all 230mb.

The reason nobody is providing a better way is because there isn't one. Use the bootstrapper, use the full download, or use Windows Update...that's the only way to properly install .NET 3.5 SP1.

darn! i'll try windows update since its the shortest but its still very slow. if not ill transfer the big file.

it doesn't compress well either lol. thanks guys

does the windows update one fail when installing, or does it also fail when downloading?

if it fails when installing, for one, it shouldn't need to re-download, since Windows saves the update packages. Plus, you should be able to find the error in event manager, then google around for a fix, since common windows update installation failures usually have answers posted all over the intrawebs

talked to my coworker today. he used the smaller 2mb version.. he to had it hesitate for about 5 minutes then it kicks in and installs. ill just try that method i guess.

Back