Any Hyper-V Server users?

gersson

Limp Gawd
Anyone?
I've set one up in our Production environment.
Specs:

q6600
Intel DG33FB
8GB 800mhz Ram
Hyper-V Server on an old raptor 74gb
The VMs are on a RAID 10 Array (4x WD640s) w/ Areca 1210

So far I've had no problems running this. Installing the drivers for the controller required using pnputil w/ CLI.

The VMs are: 1 terminal Server with ~20 users and a SIPX server which is still in setup.

I currently have two production servers set up and the only real problem I ran into was that I was unable to enable remote access to the Hyper-V management console in Windows 2008 Server Core.

They have since released a tool that allows you to do this without to monkey around, but I had to install the Full Server to make it work when I was setting it up.

The other complaint I have is that Microsoft is behind on management and administration tools, and the release of Virtual Machine Manager 2008 was one big disappointment. You need to run AD in order to be able to use VMM2008.

That's just bull, a lot of smaller shops don't deploy AD because it just doesn't make sense for them to do so. Missing out on VMM2008 makes Hyper-V less viable in the SMB market, at least that's the way I look at it.

We have 7 Hyper-V production servers at our Corporation and we plan on adding another 3-4 in the next quarter. All are 1950 Head units with dual quad core xeons, 32GB of RAM, running storage off of iSCSI nas appliances.

We run a variety of windows servers, from MSSQL DBs, to Exchange servers, to File Servers, Sharepoint sites, other various applications.

We basically just bring up new VMs on demand whenever a department has a new app that requires its own system. So far I am a big fan of Hyper-V. with the SCVMM app its really easy to manage everything. The product is maturing very nicely and on a performance level its very good.

VMware still offers a lot more in terms of managing and integration, but for the cost, we wouldnt consider it.

I am considering Hyper-V as our first segue into virtual computing. My only concern at the moment is storage. I'm not sure I can get budget for building out a NAS/SAN infrastructure. :(

I am considering Hyper-V as our first segue into virtual computing. My only concern at the moment is storage. I'm not sure I can get budget for building out a NAS/SAN infrastructure. :(

Dell has some very cheap storage solutions that work well with hyper-v. Their MD1000 line is iSCSI and fairly cheap even loaded up with drives.

Dell has some very cheap storage solutions that work well with hyper-v. Their MD1000 line is iSCSI and fairly cheap even loaded up with drives.

huh ?

Md1000 is DAS only

MD3000 is DAS only

MD3000i is ISCSI.

Do you like your Md3000i ?

I'm about to buy a Md3000 filled with 146 15k for a Hyper-V cluster.

Do you like your Md3000i ?

I'm about to buy a Md3000 filled with 146 15k for a Hyper-V cluster.

Yeah definitely, the management software makes it extremely easy to manage all of you volumes.

We have 2 MD3000is with 1000s on them, and we use it for everything from Virtual machine storage, backups, extra fileserver space, to DPM servers. No complaints yet.

Its the best thing we could find in our price range, w/o having to spend 5x as much for fibre solution.

Back